Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Scoreboard Triple Crown

a triumvirate of scoreboard gems all being sold as gamers from the same seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250514919522

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250514919870

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250514920521

the mays and jackson both have 1990-91 style rawlings tags with 1989 strip tags, just like scoreboard's 1989 bo jackson home issue.

rudy.

Banned

Re: Scoreboard Triple Crown

Rudy;

Add to it that the 4-digit years in the Mays and Reggie strip tags are not consistent with known gamers from both teams in 1989.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Rudy;

Add to it that the 4-digit years in the Mays and Reggie strip tags are not consistent with known gamers from both teams in 1989.

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    in 1990, the A's seemed to use 2 different styles of tagging. one style was the typical rawlings setup with the flag tag and the other style added a strip tag in the format: "1 90" or "2 90". the shirts that had the strip tags often lacked flag tags.

however, i've never seen any strip tags used on 1989 A's gamers. all i've ever seen on them were the standard rawlings tag with flag tag. my point being that it may not simply be the format that's incorrect but the entire presence of a strip tag on a 1989 A's shirt.

rudy.

Banned

Rudy:

Right offhand, I can't think of any examples I can recall that would contradict your belief on 1989 A's and strip tags.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

interesting....i knew of the Nolan and Bo jackson...didnt know Willie Mays was in this group too

check out this game worn "coaches" willie mays that just ended....seems to me to be the same type jersey

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Quote Originally Posted by worldchamps View Post
    interesting....i knew of the Nolan and Bo jackson...didnt know Willie Mays was in this group too

check out this game worn "coaches" willie mays that just ended....seems to me to be the same type jersey

mays and will clark. bo and nolan. canseco and gregg jeffries. those are the ones that immediately come to mind. not sure if there were others. rickey henderson would've been a logical choice given what a premier player he was around that 1989-1991 timeframe but i'm not sure if he was on the scoreboard train. i sure have seen enough 1991 home rickey henderson shirts to suggest something was amiss.

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    mays and will clark. bo and nolan. canseco and gregg jeffries. those are the ones that immediately come to mind. not sure if there were others. rickey henderson would've been a logical choice given what a premier player he was around that 1989-1991 timeframe but i'm not sure if he was on the scoreboard train. i sure have seen enough 1991 home rickey henderson shirts to suggest something was amiss.

rudy.
    Add Darryl Strawberry to the list. I remember one time seeing a seller with 2 for sale at the same time -- the Jefferies and the Strawberry. I had the "Daily Double" that night... Congratulations on your Trifecta!
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

I'll add a little more fuel to this fire...

The Ryan - if it is a 'Gamer' - should be listed as a SPRING TRAINING Game GU.

Since his time with the Angels, Ryan only wore Goodman & Sons on the field - look at 'in game' picture of him - NO Rawlings or Russell or anyone else's logo on the sleeves.

The few Rangers pictures I have seen of him pitching in his home white where you can see the Rawlings or Russell logo on the sleeves ALL have Palm Trees in the background - suggesting Port Charlotte, FL as Arlington Stadium certainly did NOT have Palm Trees growing there.

Also, NOT just Scoreboard, but other 'Memorabilia' companies from the late 80's to early 90's had deals to resell both Rawlings and Russell 'AUTHENTICS' (w/ 'proper' tail tagging) as collectibles.

Just my .02

- Chris

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by worldchamps View Post

In 1989, my wife and I were married. We spent part of our honeymoon in the Bay area. One day we stopped by Dick Dobbin's home and he was kind enough to show us part of his sports memorabilia collection. Of particular interest was a group of jerseys that he just received from the Giants.

My memory is a tad sketchy but what I can remember was Dick showing me the different ways the Giants changed letters, numbers, added nameplates, removed nameplates, put NOB without nameplates. If it took stripping a number off one jersey and putting it on another, they did it. If they needed a letter for a jersey, they would take a letter off of another nameplate. It didn't matter. We also discussed the many DIFFERENT tagging schemes the team used. Even back then, Dick was concerned about jerseys from the same year having different tagging schemes.

The bottom line was, the team did not care about standardized practices and they did whatever they needed to do to outfit the team. And yes, there were a couple of Mays jerseys in the lot. I know this because I was considering buying one.

Jim

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post

rudy.
    Don't forget Seaver and Mike Schmidt, too.

Also...ALL Score Board jerseys are home versions, and none were made of teams that used Wilson only at the time on their home styles (Braves, Blue Jays, Red Sox, Tigers, Yankees.

Dave M.
    Chicago area