Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

1996 Alex Rodriguez "1st Career Grand Slam" Game Used Bat

1996 ALEX RODRIGUEZ "1ST CAREER GRAND SLAM" GAME USED BAT

First, I want to thank Juan Iglesias, a Game Used Universe member since 06-05-2006, for selling me this bat, and making it my #1 piece in my collection. He showed me this bat a few years ago. Over the past few years, I asked him that if he ever decided to sell it, to please contact me first. A couple months a go, the offer came, and I was excited. As many of you know, I sold my Arod 1st HR signed ticket; my 3 1994 signed baseballs, and a few other items in order to buy this bat. When I received, it was more than well worth it. Bat shows awesome use! Here is what the letter from Juan reads:

This letter serves as full and unequivocal proof of this bats authenticity. I have been a Major League Baseball Player Representative for over 20 years, and have accumulated many interesting pieces of game used memorabilia from players throughout my career.
    This particular piece is a 1996 Louisville Slugger Genuine C271 (Black) Alex Rodriguez Seattle Mariners Game Used Bat, in which Alex Rodriguez used during the entire two-game series between the Detroit Tigers at Seattle Mariners on 17-18 April 1996, and is the actual bat he used to hit his “1st Career Grand Slam” in the 2nd inning off Clint Sodowsky on 18 April 1996. This Grand Slam was also his 8th Home Run of his career. This bat has a slight grain separation in the handle and displays heavy use. Alex Rodriguez signed this bat with the notation, “1st Career Grand Slam against Detroit.”
    Alex Rodriguez gave this bat to me as a gift. It was obtained directly from Alex Rodriguez, and personally delivered to me by Joe Dunand Sr, who is Alex Rodriguez’s half-brother. This bat has been in my possession and in my personal collection since 1996, until I sold it to Tony Baldwin of Chesapeake, Virginia on this date. Regards, Juan C. Iglesias. Iglesias Sports Management.

As a collector and game used collector, this is one of those times when you look at your new pick-up and say "this a dream comes true."

Regards, Tony

Re: 1996 Alex Rodriguez "1st Career Grand Slam" Game Used Bat

If you look in the background of Juan's picture of his collection, you can see this signed Arod picture on the wall, which is the third picture down on the left side.

Fantastic piece! WOW

Congratulations Tony. Its great when you get something game used you really want by one of your favorite players. And ARod is having a very nice playoff so far.

Very nice bat.

WOW! Awesome bat... definitely worth selling your other stuff. I'm jealous now

Banned

Tony, Im really happy that you obtained this bat...After hearing your story with the Rawlings I started to think that maybe I should give you the ability to buy this bat. I really didnt sell it for the money because I guarantee you that a nice auction would have fetched more. But, I know and wanted you to have a quality Alex piece in your collection. Im glad you are happy.

Regards,
    Juan Iglesias
    GrndSlm@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrndSlm View Post
    Tony, Im really happy that you obtained this bat...After hearing your story with the Rawlings I started to think that maybe I should give you the ability to buy this bat. I really didnt sell it for the money because I guarantee you that a nice auction would have fetched more. But, I know and wanted you to have a quality Alex piece in your collection. Im glad you are happy.

Regards,
    Juan Iglesias
    GrndSlm@aol.com

Well said Juan. Thats what collecting IS all about...appreciation of and for. I'm glad to see this happened as I was curious why Tony had his A Rod auto'd baseball collection on ebay. Hats off to both of you gentleman. This is what this hobby is all about.

wade

Very, very, nice gamer!! I am soooo jealous!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrndSlm View Post

Regards,
    Juan Iglesias
    GrndSlm@aol.com
    Juan - That was a really nice thing you did for Tony given that the bat has been in your personal collection for over 13 years, and also of thinking of Tony and his collection versus putting several hundred dollars more in your pocket if you put it in an auction. Given the timing of how ARod is playing, his items are probably selling at a very big premium now.

I just looked at bats on eBay and there's a Best Offer ARod HR #552 bat with 3 offers and an asking price of $8,999 and it is a Grand Slam bat!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALEX-RODRIGUEZ-S...item3ca0a65d02

Your bat in my opinion is more special as it was his ARod's 1st Grand Slam!

Great to read nice things like this!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500