X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vikingshelmetguy
    • Mar 2009

Re: 1964 NY Jets Helmet?

Originally posted by gridman80
    I have the 1964 Jets highlights video and it appears in some game action scenes that Ficca is wearing this style helmet.....it stands out against the Riddells most every other player wore.....Ficca switched to Riddell late in the 1964 season or in 1965....I have his 1965 helmet....whoever bought this one got a deal as the only other 1964 I have seen in the last 20 years was mike Hudock's Riddell that went off at about $5K on a GFC auction.
    Hi Gridman80! I am really happy to see that you were able to relay your thoughts and comments about this 1964 Jets helmet. I was wondering if, perhaps, you might have been a bidder or the winner of this 1964 Jets helmet auction, as I recall from previous posts that you are the owner of a stunning collection of vintage game used Jets helmets (see photo attached, which I think is your collection). I am curious to know, did you end up placing any bids on this 1964 Ficca Jets helmet??? You have provided perhaps the most solid evidence yet of the scarcity of this 1964 Jets Ficca helmet. It just seemed to me to be ultra rare and ultra unique as it not only was a rare 1964 helmet with the green-on-white logo, but also a one-of-a-kind MacGregor brand (which you have now confirmed was perhaps worn only by Ficca, while other Jets players wore Riddell helmets). Just as I thought, this 1964 Jets helmet was/is highly unique and rare.

gridman80:

Comment

• gridman80
      • Feb 2006

Re: 1964 NY Jets Helmet?

Yes I did bid...I think I wound up being the second underbidder. The price wound up a bit too rich for me...I do believe it is legit..the seller offered to get a letter from Joe Foss's daughter on the piece..I did some internet digging on the family history and the whole story about how she had the helmet hung together.....At then end of the day while this is a very rare piece when I think of the 1960's Jets I don't picture them in this style lid....Now if we could only find a 1963...I have never seen one....although I think Lou Lampson has Maynard's ....be well

Comment

Working...