Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Vintage Ty Cobb Pocket Mirror

Hi Guys,

The picture that appears on the mirror also appears in one or several of the Ty Cobb books that have been written on him. I do not recall which book (s). I also remember seeing the photo in a periodical. The "Grant" that Cobb is referring to in the personalization is Grantland Rice. My point is that if you can find the book in which this appeared you will be able to date the mirror (or at least know that it was not made before the date that the book was published). I would have to agree that it certainly looks like a photo clipped from a book and made into a mirror.

Mike Heffner

Guys,
    That photo was sold by lelands in june 2004. I'll attach a link, if it doesn't work, just search Ty Cobb on lelands sight and you'll see it.
    Matt

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=1049&auctionid=405

I must be getting old! We did sell the original of the photo in 2004. I checked the old catalog and the original signed photo came with a clipping of the photo from the book. It was Grantland Rice's biography, "The Tumult and the Shouting" in which it was pictured.

Mike Heffner

Well it certainly looks like this photo came from that book, and unless this photo had been published somewhere else before that book it would place it to the earliest at 1954. Thanks for the help.