Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: OT: Best All Around Infield Ever

1999 Mets, there's no question.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Joelsabi I must say I am a bit surprised you would put Cano into that company of best ever. After all the big mistakes he was made.
    As for the other 3 No Argument here.

I would throw into this category maybe not the best ever but pretty damn close
    Moose Skowron - Tony Kubek - Bobby Richardson (Gold Glove) - Clete Boyer (Gold Glove)
    Orignally I was thinking both offense and defense, but I think the discussion where it has lead to defense prowess is more interesting so I am glad the direction the thread has gone. If I ever won the lotto, I would change my theme to collecting fielding glove from every player that won a Gold Glove.

There was talks of Cano maybe winning a Golden Glove earlier in the year but then again its the manager plugging his own player.

On your choice, I never seen them play. Need to check out a classic game by this unit.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    1999 Mets, there's no question.
    Hernandez, Alfonso, Ordonez, and Ventura? Wow thats major big time Defense. Has Alfonso ever won a Gold Glove. Wasn't he originally a SS but theres no way to take the job from Ordonez.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

These are the saddest of possible words: "Tinker to Evers to Chance." Trio of bear cubs, and fleeter than birds, Tinker and Evers and Chance. Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble, Making a Giant hit into a double – Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble: "Tinker to Evers to Chance."
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Quote Originally Posted by b.heagy View Post
    These are the saddest of possible words: "Tinker to Evers to Chance." Trio of bear cubs, and fleeter than birds, Tinker and Evers and Chance. Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble, Making a Giant hit into a double – Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble: "Tinker to Evers to Chance."
    Classic Baseball poem. If you ever read Smithsonian Baseball, the author has a chapter on his own collection which include the flannels of these three immortalized players.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Did Hernandez ever play togther with Pendleton and Ozzie?
    Yep. Sorry - I never really think of Keith as being a Cardinal. I moved to STL in late 1983, and he made some comments after winning with the Mets in '86 that made me hate him as a player...Clark is the first guy I identify with in my personal Cards history.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    Yep. Sorry - I never really think of Keith as being a Cardinal. I moved to STL in late 1983, and he made some comments after winning with the Mets in '86 that made me hate him as a player...Clark is the first guy I identify with in my personal Cards history.
    I think Keith considers himself a Cardinal, whenever he talks about his career or opinion on baseball teams, he always favors the Cradinals.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Orignally I was thinking both offense and defense, but I think the discussion where it has lead to defense prowess is more interesting .

I like the original thread, best infied in terms of offense and defense. Current Yankees dwarf the 1999 Mets, just about as good defensively, and LIGHT YEARS ahead offensively...its not even close

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by b.heagy View Post
    Of course, Harry Steinfeldt was the third baseman (and only non-HOFer in the bunch).

Dave M.
    Chicago area

From 1973-75 the Baltimore Orioles has Brooks Robinson, Mark Belanger, and Bobby Grich who all won Golden Gloves during those years.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.