Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 31 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

2002 Pujols bat

I recently acquired a 2002 Pujols game-used bat with a certificate from LaRussa's ARF dated 11/16/02. Included with the COA was the auction sheet that was displayed with the bat at the auction. I was told the photo on the auction sheet showed Pujols breaking the actual bat being auctioned. Here's the auction sheet:

I was skeptical, so when the bat arrived, I tried to find the actual photo online. It wasn't a Getty shot, but I eventually found it searching images on Google. The best part was, the image online wasn't cropped and I could see bunting on the wall in the background. That tipped me off that the shot was taken during the post season.

After more research, I learned the Cards played three home games during the post season in 2002. In two of those games (vs. SF in the LCS), Pujols used blue and white batting gloves and was clean shaven. But, in the other game -- game 3 of the DCS vs. Arizona -- everything matched up. Best of all, I found a shot on Getty of the same at-bat as the other photo from a different angle.

Albert batted four times in that game on 10/5/02... walked twice, singled in the third and flew out in the fifth. Both batted balls went to center field, which is where he's looking in the top photo. I can't narrow this down to the single or the fly out, but I'm feeling good my bat was used for one (or both) of them.

Here are a couple shots of the bat -- note the location of the crack relative to the photos above:

There are a couple other pieces of into worth mentioning. First, Pujols didn't use uncupped ash bats often in 2002, so that really narrowed down the search. And second, Pujols received only 6 uncupped ash C243 bats in 2002 -- on September 13. Given the date of the game in the photos and the date of the auction, the time frame is appropriate.

Other than the pine tar pattern and the location of the crack, there's not much else to go on in terms of a positive photo match. In the top photo, there seems to be quite a bit of writing on the knob, which also would be consistent with my bat. Without a higher-resolution photo, I can't say for sure. However, given the type of bat, the time frame, the provenance, the visual evidence and the odds that another unfinished/uncupped ash LS would break in the same location, I think my bat is the same bat in the photos.

Re: Post Your Photo-matched Game-used Items Here

I snagged Alex Rodriguez batting gloves and a Jorge Posada wristband at the end of a Yankees vs Blue Jays game in 2006.

Here is my photomatched 2007-08 Henrik Sedin Set 3 jersey. Notice the large stick mark next to the crest. That happened in the first game this jersey was worn.
    I haven't been able to find hi-res photos of games later in this set to match the other wear but this is pretty sweet.

Re: 2002 Pujols bat

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    I recently acquired a 2002 Pujols game-used bat with a certificate from LaRussa's ARF dated 11/16/02. Included with the COA was the auction sheet that was displayed with the bat at the auction. I was told the photo on the auction sheet showed Pujols breaking the actual bat being auctioned. Here's the auction sheet:

I was skeptical, so when the bat arrived, I tried to find the actual photo online. It wasn't a Getty shot, but I eventually found it searching images on Google. The best part was, the image online wasn't cropped and I could see bunting on the wall in the background. That tipped me off that the shot was taken during the post season.

After more research, I learned the Cards played three home games during the post season in 2002. In two of those games (vs. SF in the LCS), Pujols used blue and white batting gloves and was clean shaven. But, in the other game -- game 3 of the DCS vs. Arizona -- everything matched up. Best of all, I found a shot on Getty of the same at-bat as the other photo from a different angle.

Albert batted four times in that game on 10/5/02... walked twice, singled in the third and flew out in the fifth. Both batted balls went to center field, which is where he's looking in the top photo. I can't narrow this down to the single or the fly out, but I'm feeling good my bat was used for one (or both) of them.

Here are a couple shots of the bat -- note the location of the crack relative to the photos above:

There are a couple other pieces of into worth mentioning. First, Pujols didn't use uncupped ash bats often in 2002, so that really narrowed down the search. And second, Pujols received only 6 uncupped ash C243 bats in 2002 -- on September 13. Given the date of the game in the photos and the date of the auction, the time frame is appropriate.

Other than the pine tar pattern and the location of the crack, there's not much else to go on in terms of a positive photo match. In the top photo, there seems to be quite a bit of writing on the knob, which also would be consistent with my bat. Without a higher-resolution photo, I can't say for sure. However, given the type of bat, the time frame, the provenance, the visual evidence and the odds that another unfinished/uncupped ash LS would break in the same location, I think my bat is the same bat in the photos.

super cool story, research.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSniper View Post
    I snagged Alex Rodriguez batting gloves and a Jorge Posada wristband at the end of a Yankees vs Blue Jays game in 2006.

nice piece. wouldnt this be a style match? i see one distinct marking on the index finger that could be used to photo match. what are you looking at specifically for the photo match?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    nice piece. wouldnt this be a style match? i see one distinct marking on the index finger that could be used to photo match. what are you looking at specifically for the photo match?
    Unfortunately, this thread has been watered down with a bunch of stylematch postings lately. Some do not understand the difference. Others appear to just not care. The difference between a photomatch and stylematch in terms of authentication is staggering.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    Unfortunately, this thread has been watered down with a bunch of stylematch postings lately. Some do not understand the difference. Others appear to just not care. The difference between a photomatch and stylematch in terms of authentication is staggering.
    sportscentury,

at least Birdbats understands.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

I also fail to see the photo match. Style match yes, unless I'm missing something.

What this post needs is a bunch of red circles!

Originally Posted by joelsabi

I actually want an answer on this. sometime it is a little stitch on a letter that is sticking out that is the distinct mark that the person is looking at. Kyle is a great example of a person with a great eye. So I am giving the person a chance to tell me what they are seeing.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

I guess we define photomatch differently. I'm sure it's the same bat ... but I was asking to see the photomatch.

Here ya go: