X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kylehess10
    • Feb 2006

Re: Post Your Photo-matched Game-used Items Here

Originally posted by trsent
    Could someone please explain to me how some of these items are photo-matched?

Batting gloves and cleats? I do not believe these are photo-matched but style matched, anyone else agree with me?

If you were referring to my post then you got it all wrong. My items were the exact pictures of them wearing the cleats and gloves I have. I knew what exact date they wore them and I looked up that date on getty images and found pics of them wearing it.
    kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
    http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/

Comment

• trsent
      Banned
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by kylehess10
      If you were referring to my post then you got it all wrong. My items were the exact pictures of them wearing the cleats and gloves I have. I knew what exact date they wore them and I looked up that date on getty images and found pics of them wearing it.
      Great, you have a style match because you cannot show any exact science proof that the items are the same. I do not care the dates of the use or the photos. Unless you see a stain, scratch, rip, or something amazing, that is a photo match. When you show a picture that has nothing to make the item appear identical but your word or the players word, then it is a style match.

Can you believe, I got a phone call over this from someone telling me to post a reply before I left town? Isn't there something better we can debate weather your gloves are photo matched or style matched?

Comment

• sportscentury
        • Nov 2005

Folks,

This is an interesting discussion and there are some phenomenal posts of photo-matched items here. Thanks to everyone who is contributing or will contribute. I am further grateful for the LTC Dave Grob post that Joel reminded us of ... and I am glad to know that this is MEARS' official position on photo-matching. The only thing I would disagree with LTC Grob about, though, is that there are many times for which only one in-action photo is needed to photo-match an item (there are some perfect examples in this thread - the Varitek bat, for insance). I think the bottom line is that, no matter what the evidence, it must definitively demonstrate that the item is the exact same item that is shown in the in-action photo (I believe Eric, Joel, LTC Grob, and others will all agree to this - but feel free to chime in if your take on things differs). Just as with the terms game-worn and player-issued, folks are free to define terms and concepts as they wish - it is a free country, of course. Still, it is helpful for us to have a normative set of defnitions of terms and concepts and I think it's great that folks are contributing posts of not only photo-matched items, but also ideas and thoughts about the alternative terms photo-matched and style-matched. I look forward to seeing other posts.

Reid
        Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• kylehess10
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by trsent
          Great, you have a style match because you cannot show any exact science proof that the items are the same. I do not care the dates of the use or the photos. Unless you see a stain, scratch, rip, or something amazing, that is a photo match. When you show a picture that has nothing to make the item appear identical but your word or the players word, then it is a style match.
          I never knew that there was difference between style and photo match. Thanks for informing me
          kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:

Comment

• trsent
            Banned
            • Nov 2005

What?

Comment

• Spiezio23
              • Nov 2005

I would have to agree on the fact that the term "Photo-match" has in some degree been over used. Many times it is just a style match which we all have many of. I'm sure everyone here knows this but, the dates on Getty aren't always correct for the game shown, the dates on MLB.com's authentication program aren't always correct either. With that in mind, I have what I consider to be 2 exact photo matches, Enjoy!

The first being a Shin Soo Choo bat, this was used last september and it was also MLB Authenticated(MT00411036) for those that want to verify. In this case the photos on Getty actually match up to the date listed by MLB. You can see on the back of the barrell 2 of the 3 distinct marks on the bat, the 3rd mark near the end may have been the one that actually broke the bat into 2 seperate pieces. There are also marks just below the name labeling on the front side of the bat, these match up with the photos as you can see.

My second "Photo-Match" is a Greg Dobbs bat that was used sometime last year, the photo shows it in use during a game vs. the Athletics. There aren't many photos of Dobbs so this was a tough match to find.

Here's a closeup of the bat from the photo

The photo of the back of my Dobbs bat
              Always looking for Seattle Mariners & Anything of Felix Hernandez or Richie Sexson.

-Jeremy Morgan

Comment

• Eric
                • Jan 1970

Beautiful matches!!
                Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• kylehess10
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Spiezio23
                  I would have to agree on the fact that the term "Photo-match" has in some degree been over used. Many times it is just a style match which we all have many of. I'm sure everyone here knows this but, the dates on Getty aren't always correct for the game shown, the dates on MLB.com's authentication program aren't always correct either. With that in mind, I have what I consider to be 2 exact photo matches, Enjoy!

The first being a Shin Soo Choo bat, this was used last september and it was also MLB Authenticated(MT00411036) for those that want to verify. In this case the photos on Getty actually match up to the date listed by MLB. You can see on the back of the barrell 2 of the 3 distinct marks on the bat, the 3rd mark near the end may have been the one that actually broke the bat into 2 seperate pieces. There are also marks just below the name labeling on the front side of the bat, these match up with the photos as you can see.

My second "Photo-Match" is a Greg Dobbs bat that was used sometime last year, the photo shows it in use during a game vs. the Athletics. There aren't many photos of Dobbs so this was a tough match to find.

Here's a closeup of the bat from the photo

The photo of the back of my Dobbs bat

how in the hell were you able to find that picture of dobbs?? That's amazing! It must've taken a lot of searching.
                  kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:

Comment

• Spiezio23
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by kylehess10
                    how in the hell were you able to find that picture of dobbs?? That's amazing! It must've taken a lot of searching.
                    It was just by pure luck. I knew he was going to be at the Mariners FanFest that was held back in Jan. and I had a bunch of his cards signed already so I went to the team store and bought the last and only Dobbs photo they had. I didn't know about the match until later that night when I tried to compare it to the Dobbs bats I own and found the match.
                    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & Anything of Felix Hernandez or Richie Sexson.

-Jeremy Morgan

Comment

• sandman02910
                      • Nov 2005

Here is a 3rd item....and again minor league but it's still cool to match an item to a baseball card. This is one of my Dustin Pedroia game used bats. I also have the jersey, pants and batting helmet in this card but here is the bat.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                        • Nov 2005

Pinstripe photo-matching... NICE!
                        Reid's Carlton and Tim's Burbach are things of BEAUTY! The photo-matches probably DOUBLE the value of the jerseys (seriously).
                        While I have no "photo-matches" as good as those, I would like to title my post: "fun-with-photo-shop" or "create-your-own-high-gloss-auction-catalog"

No, I didn't advertise at Yankee Stadium in 1955.

Comment

• BaseballGM
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2006

Rudy helped me with this one from 2003. All the Getty pics are from Robbie's first game with the Sox.

Comment

• sportscentury
                            • Nov 2005

Steve Carlton pinstripes

Originally posted by both-teams-played-hard
                            Pinstripe photo-matching... NICE!
                            Reid's Carlton and Tim's Burbach are things of BEAUTY! The photo-matches probably DOUBLE the value of the jerseys (seriously).
                            Thanks, Warren. I have to admit that this crossed my mind when I picked the shirt up. I have actually never seen another pinstripe photo-matched Carlton jersey ... and I diligently check each one that comes up for auction against my massive Carlton photo collection. The other Carlton shirts I've had have all been blue roads, so you don't have the same photomatching opportunities as there are no pinstripes on the old Phillies powder blue shirts, of course.
                            Reid
                            Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• sportscentury
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by BaseballGM
                              Rudy helped me with this one from 2003. All the Getty pics are from Robbie's first game with the Sox.
                              Beautiful Robbie shirt ... and more great work by Rudy.

Reid

Comment

• worldchamps
                                • Dec 2005

Thy guy with the Dwayne Wade jersey needs to post his, that is by far the best photo match I have ever seen.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...