McGwire to be Cards new hitting coach??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigtruck260
    • Sep 2007

Re: McGwire to be Cards new hitting coach??

Originally posted by whatupyos
    Steve-

I respect your opinion. To be fair, they're both (McGwire and LaRussa) stand up guys in most peoples opinion. I had the priviledge of meeting both of them at different times. I have endless stories of how humble they are. What's wrong with La Russa sticking up for his boy? I stick up for mine, at any cost, unless it involves murder or some sick disgusting deed. Say as just an example, you had a son who did something others didn't approve of. You'd get his back. That's all Tony is doing. We all make mistakes, some more than others, some not so harmful, others more.

Aaron
    This is a good rebuttal....and judging by your answers, you are familiar with both guys.

To some of the others...

I forgave Manny for taking PED's - and lying about them...he did his time, suffered the humiliation and came back to face the music. He has MUCH more to lose than Mac ever did. A-Rod too...people can forgive them, and we move on.

Mac NEVER DENIED using PED's. He has served his exile, and knows the consequences of coming back to baseball. There are going to be fans that jeer him, etc. He's apparently willing to stand up to it. Not many people could do that and effectively coach. It's going to be a hard road, but let the guy handle it without speculating on his demise.

For those who think he's not a good guy to be teaching hitters (.263 average) - he was very capable of hitting .300 - and did so a few times in his career. He was one of the few guys who re-invented his approach at the plate. When he was locked in - you could not put a pitch in the zone without him hammering it.

Give him some time, see how he does, see what the players say...then pounce on him and say "I told you so".
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
      • Dec 2008

Aaron, bigtruck, & others,

Let me do my "Obama" pathetic immitation for just a second.....

"Let me be perfectly clear".....

I like Mark McGwire, always have. I just wish the dude would address the 800lb. gorilla that will not get off his back until Mark himself decides he's had enough. EVERYONE KNOWS, Mark.....just get it out and over with already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let the healing begin, and you'll make your Hall of Fame.

I also know Tony LaRussa is a fine manager. But the "playing dumb" routine while playing the "work ethic" card doesn't do it for me. Again, and along the same vein, that kind of sweeping-under-the-rug approach just makes me lose respect for the guy. But he is a Hall of Famer when it's all said and done......if he avoids picking up any more DUI's

Lastly, I have no problem with LaRussa sticking up for Mark. It's a comaraderie thing.....a guy he went to battle with.....that's what it's all about. But these two guys should accept the fact that it's all but written in scripture....we KNOW what happened. Just take your medicine, let it out, and let's all move on.

I have quite a few Mark McGwire game used items. I have one of his rookie home run balls (one of the rookie record 49), I have his 18th from 1998, signed and inscribed by him, and another later home run (I believe #540, also signed). I would have bought his last career homer #583 which came up for auction, but I didn't have the funds available at the time.

Trust me, Mark will always be a special player in the annuls of baseball history, and to me as a collector. That's just one more reason why I wish he would end the silence. He's is taking a risk coming back with KONG on his back. If he doesn't end the silence, things may get worse for him. If he does, there is absolutely NO doubt in my mind he will be forgiven, welcomed back with open arms, and back as a deeply rooted member of MLB as a hitting coach, loved by all who see him in ballparks across the nation.

I guess we'll see.....one way or the other.

Comment

• 3arod13
        • Apr 2006

Welcome Back "Big Mac!"
        Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
          • Dec 2008

Side "LaRussa" note for you guys.....

In 1974, my cousin Gary Robson, pitching for the 1974 Rochester Red Wings, the AAA affiliate for the Orioles, with Doug DeCinces as his third baseman and facing Kent Tekulve as the opposing pitcher (later of Pittsburgh Pirates fame, the "submarine" pitcher)....pitched a perfect game.

It was the first (and only) perfect game ever pitched for the Red Wings.

Tony LaRussa was the second basemen behind Tekulve.

In his two at bats against my cousin......LaRussa struck out twice.....

Comment

• dnrapp
            • Feb 2009

Where do you get your faulty info brotha? The Obama admin? As I stated earlier Mac has been helping Holliday since 2006.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...?urn=mlb,45897

You stated that McGwire helped Holliday break out of his slump while he was in Oakland. Here is the story about them working together this past off season
            Mark McGwire, in a rare published interview, discussed his recent work as a hitting instructor with four current major league players.

Comment

• whatupyos
              Banned
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by suicide_squeeze
              Aaron, bigtruck, & others,

Let me do my "Obama" pathetic immitation for just a second.....

"Let me be perfectly clear".....

Priceless!!! I love it!! Steve, I hear you buddy. I know where you stand and how you feel, I was speaking in regards to La Russa sticking up for his boy as that part I wasn't clear on in terms of you not understanding why someone would stick up for their buddy.

Comment

• whatupyos
                Banned
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by dnrapp
                You stated that McGwire helped Holliday break out of his slump while he was in Oakland. Here is the story about them working together this past off season
                http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3976320

I never said McGwire helped Holliday break out of his slump. I stated he helped Holliday for the past several years. Please find specifically where I said "McGwire helped Holliday break out of his slump in Oakland".

Comment

• skyking26
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by suicide_squeeze
                  Well, it may be BS.....But what it really is is yet another flagrant indication of why I can't stand Tony LaRussa. The guy is twisted between the ears.

He has made a living managing teams loaded with some of the most juiced players in the history of the game. McGwire, who I have already stated that I just can't help like because of the 1998 spectacle with Sosa (it was a shot in the arm for baseball.....unfortunately more literally than figuratively), not to mention his great personality and disposition, is his boy. Now? LaRussa comes out now and says that he still believes Mark is "The product of hard work. He's as big as ever, he works out everyday."

Are you KIDDING me LaRussa? I mean, is this guy really fooling anyone? I don't think anyone in the world believes LaRussa is truly that ignorant. The FBI has obtained documented proof that McGwire was using steroids way back in the early '90s, so what's LaRussa doing playing dumb in 2009??

Because McGwire is his boy. Some things never change. And all this does, his standing up for Mark, coupled with the continued avoidance of addressing the issue that everyone already knows happened, just makes them both look selfish, silly, and less appealing to fans that would like to just see the burial of the steroid issue. God, I wish Mark would just come out already and get it off his chest.....tell everybody the truth, what he used, why he did it (to recover from chronic injuries, etc.) I personally don't believe McGwire did steroids for the sole intention of "cheating". He would have a much better chance of making the Hall if he would come clean. As it stands now, he has NO chance.
                  I agree with every word Steve has written. Almost like I wrote it myself...
                  ROBERT KOPPEL
                  Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                  and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• allstarsplus
                    • Nov 2005

Big Mac is one of my favorite players of all-time. I don't necessarily agree with some of the choices he has made and allegedly made.

The summer of 1998 was a special time for my family and my relationship with my kids. At the time I had 3 sons and my son who was 5 years old at the time got his "love of the game" watching Cardinals games and Big Mac. He wanted to play baseball.

I have said it before, Big Mac I believe got kids back to playing baseball because he made it cool. CHICKS DIG THE LONGBALL and so do DUDES and KIDS!
                    Regards,
                    Andrew Lang
                    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                    202-716-8500

Comment

• dnrapp
                      • Feb 2009

I never said McGwire helped Holliday break out of his slump. I stated he helped Holliday for the past several years. Please find specifically where I said "McGwire helped Holliday break out of his slump in Oakland".
                      Sorry another poster said that. Your posted a link that said McGwire gave Holliday a tip in 2006. And I was posting about their working together this past off season and you come at me saying I was wrong.

Comment

• rj_lucas
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by allstarsplus
                        I have said it before, Big Mac I believe got kids back to playing baseball because he made it cool. CHICKS DIG THE LONGBALL and so do DUDES and KIDS!
                        Agreed. Perhaps some of the younger forum members are not familiar with the best sports commercial ever made:

"C'mon Alice!"

Rick
                        rickjlucas@gmail.com

Comment

• whatupyos
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by dnrapp
                          Sorry another poster said that. Your posted a link that said McGwire gave Holliday a tip in 2006. And I was posting about their working together this past off season and you come at me saying I was wrong.

No worries my friend, a little miscommunication.

Comment

• whatupyos
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by rj_lucas
                            Agreed. Perhaps some of the younger forum members are not familiar with the best sports commercial ever made:

"C'mon Alice!"

Rick
                            rickjlucas@gmail.com

That was a classic!!!

Comment

Working...