Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cliff Lee - Irrogant? Cocky? Or Confident?

I say confident! The way he made the catch (pop up), sure looked like he was cocky. But after watching his performance in shutting down my Yankees, and then is interview following the game, and he is a calm and confident as can be.

What a pitching performance.

Regards, Tony

Re: Cliff Lee - Irrogant? Cocky? Or Confident?

Wow. That was quite possibly one of the BEST pitching performances I have seen in any game. He was quite confident. He showed some real talent. When you look at just his highlight reel and then look at his stats....SIMPLY AMAZING!

Kudos to the Phillies for the Lee pickup. I did NOT like the way he caught that popup as I disdain cockiness...(same with Roland's 5 game prediction...not exactly humble) but facts are facts - he had NY's number and that win was huge!

Amazing also that the Lee/Sabathia matchup featured 2 guys who were teammates just months ago with Cleveland. You look at the dismantling of the Indians, and last night was testimony, and it's gotta make the Indians faithful SICK. Just goes to show you, when you are small market, you ultimately cannot compete because your talent goes away to the big dogs. I guess the one team that would not fit here would be the Cubbies. Now, they have alot to complain about LOL.

RK
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

He is just flat out confident. I can't think of hardly any pitchers that could have done that to the yankees

I assume you meant arrogant and I would say by definition he didn't exaggerate his talent rather he let his stats speak for itself. Confident, yes. Cocky is a further punctuation on confidence and yes I would say he was a little cocky, but not a bad thing for a pitcher that is a true ace.

Cliff Lee has moved into the spotlight and probably just let the world of casual fans know who he is. Free agency isn't too far away for Cliff Lee.

In his postgame interview he was asked if he was nervous and he said, "I don't get nervous. I have been waiting my whole life for this moment".

Chances are he will pitch one more time in the series so we will see how he does and where his record defines him in post-season history.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post

I say confident! The way he made the catch (pop up), sure looked like he was cocky. But after watching his performance in shutting down my Yankees, and then is interview following the game, and he is a calm and confident as can be.

What a pitching performance.

Regards, Tony
    saw the interview too. said he knew from an early age this was what he wanted to do. brews confidence out there.

the nonchalant pop fly was classic. so was the behind the back catch.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    I assume you meant arrogant and I would say by definition he didn't exaggerate his talent rather he let his stats speak for itself. Confident, yes. Cocky is a further punctuation on confidence and yes I would say he was a little cocky, but not a bad thing for a pitcher that is a true ace.

Cliff Lee has moved into the spotlight and probably just let the world of casual fans know who he is. Free agency isn't too far away for Cliff Lee.

In his postgame interview he was asked if he was nervous and he said, "I don't get nervous. I have been waiting my whole life for this moment".

Chances are he will pitch one more time in the series so we will see how he does and where his record defines him in post-season history.
    Yes I did mean arrogrant. Sorry about that!

Regards, Tony

Confident. During his time in Cleveland Cliff certainly had his struggles. It got so bad they sent him down to Buffalo for much of the 2007 season. He regained his form and has dominated ever since. My impression as a fan during his time in Cleveland is that he was a pretty quiet family guy.

Watching the press conference after the game he was pretty matter of fact about the game and all the work he had put in. He didnt brag about how great he was just that he had put in years of work to get to this point and it was time to go execute. I may be biased as a Lee fan but I am happy for him as he has worked hard to get to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    two more.
    Funny you say that since Lee was asked if he would pitch on 3 days rest like CC Sabathia and Cliff Lee didn't answer the question. I figured he would say that was up to Phillies management.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    It will be interesting to see.
    Check out what Cliff Lee had made before this year and the trade that got him from his original team (Montreal Expos) to the Cleveland Indians.

2003 Cleveland Indians $300,900
    2004 Cleveland Indians $303,200
    200 5Cleveland Indians $345,000
    2006 Cleveland Indians $406,200
    2007 Cleveland Indians $3,000,000
    2008 Cleveland Indians $4,000,000

June 27, 2002: Traded in a 6 player trade.

Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips, Grady Sizemore and Lee Stevens from the Montreal Expos
    to the Cleveland Indians for Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew.

You can always look back in hindsight and see how one of these trades worked out. Bartolo Colon pitched 3 months for the Expos and then was granted Free Agency......Cliff Lee and Grady Sizemore go on to great careers and Brandon Phillips becomes a solid middle infielder.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500