Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

What player most reminds you of your childhood

I have two players. The first is steve beuchelle. the first rangers game i ever went to i remembered asking my day why everyone was booing him. Come to find out it was how they cheered for him. The second player would be ruben sierra. This is primarily due to i think he got robbed in 89 in the mvp. Well i dont really think he got robbed but it is my first memory of actually caring about baseball stats and such
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Re: What player most reminds you of your childhood

I'm going baseball on this answer.

Let's see... I grew up in KC. Was 6 in 1980 (AL Champs, think .390 batting average), and thereby 11 in 1985 (Royals WS)... Any guesses?

Yeah obviously George Brett is first and foremost. How could you not love him? The intensity, the passion, the competitiveness... and all that with his skill and talent. George Brett never jogged to first on a routine ground ball.

The rest all blend together closely behind. Frank White's consistent bat and gold glove defense. The under-appreciated hitting and awe inspiring speed of Willie Wilson (the great conundrum of my childhood - Wilson at first, second base empty, Brett hitting. Do you miss Wilson's masterful lead, jump and easy steal of second or did you miss watching Brett hitting? Answer was normally easy. Brett was taking a couple pitches to let Wilson get into scoring position, so watch Willie.). The kookiness of Cone and Saberhagen. A few years later it was the spectacle of Bo Jackson. Nolan Ryan we saw nearly every time he came to KC.

For a sleeper - Jim Eisenreich. I still recall sitting right behind the Royals dugout when late in the game Eisenreich blasted a liner to right center, the ball never got more than 15 feet off the ground, was out of the park in the blink of an eye as it smashed into the facade of the signage in the fountains. I believe to this day the ball was still climbing when it hit the fence. I don't know if I've ever seen another ball hit that hard, including McGwire batting practice. The ball was out of the stadium before anyone could react. Curtain call, crowd going nuts, WOW! what a moment.

They say we are a product of our times... being in KC growing up in the hey-day of the Royals, there is no way I could not answer that Brett most reminds me of my childhood. And while I never had his skill, I did absorb that relentless fight and competitiveness.

Any time I see Brett highlights, I feel like a little kid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

do you have any sundberg memories. hes the VP for the rangers and is really fan friendly
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Fnazxc0114 View Post
    do you have any sundberg memories. hes the VP for the rangers and is really fan friendly
    Oh yeah of course... That whole stretch from late 70s to late 80s was a great time for baseball in KC. They had some great teams and a lot of great players. Jim was always fun to watch and clutch when the opportunity arose. I seem to remember more of John Wathan at catcher, but Sundberg's performance in 1985 was very memorable. Jim was only with the Royals for 85 & 86, so that brief stint is probably why he's not a bigger part of my memory. I think all Royals fans who remember the 85 World Series love Jim Sundberg, seems like he always gets a really warm reception when he is in town.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

rudy.

Banned

Pete Rose and Johnny Bench. The Big Red Machine and the Moustache Gang. The hated Dodgers of Garvey and Cey. The hated Yanks of Reggie. The 70s were great!

Mine will is Cecil Fielder and Mickey Tettleton. Being from detroit and then living in Texas, they were my favorite. I was the bigger kid, so Cecil was my hero. As many kids do, i held a bat kind of like tettleton. Over the years, I moved a lil away from that.

Banned

I grew up in Canada so natually it was Toronto.

Manny Lee
    Dave Stieb
    Jorge I mean George Bell

Also like Rudy Canseco, Thomas Griffey ect..

1. Wade Boggs
    2. Just about any rookies from the '85 - '87 era baseball cards sets (Clemens, Puckett, McGwire, Canseco)
    3. Pete Rose

Dale Murphy was everything to me as a little kid. He had power, speed and was just a great guy. I grew up in Lexington Park, MD before coming to St. Louis - and I watched all of the Braves games on WTBS in the earlier days of cable TV.

Honorable Mention:

Nolan Ryan
    Terry Pendleton
    Milt Thompson
    Willie McGee
    Rickey Henderson
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]