Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Players and staff with STICKY FINGERS?!?

I have been looking for McGwire gamers, its a a tough task to find a real gamer I am finding out! But anyways looking at some of the bats most of them I can recognize as being legit game model bats..the use is isnt usually correct or the bat has hardly any use. I then have to ask myself why did he stop using it? McGwire was well known for using a bat til it got deadwood or cracked. Most often if he stopped using an uncracked it was a gift and he would sign it..so....I got to wondering just how many bats were stolen from the Big Guy...staff, visitors or even players.

I remember reading about a spring training incident where another yankee trying to make the roster stole a Jeter bat and glove..he took it to a collect who paid him hansomly for the "find". I wonder how often it happens...

i also remember hearing stories of players marking other players numbers on bats as a way to make them less desirable for people as they saw them sticking out of the bat racks...For instance Glenallen Hill had problems with people taking his lumber and would mark a bench player's number on the knob of his bats...If Glenallen was having that problem you can only imagine guys like Pujols, rodriguez, jeter, howard have problems with missing bats...Anybody want to contribute a story or their thoughts on the missing bats problem?

Re: Players and staff with STICKY FINGERS?!?

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post
    I have been looking for McGwire gamers, its a a tough task to find a real gamer I am finding out!..
    andy over at vintagebats.com has a nice mcgwire gamer.

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    andy over at vintagebats.com has a nice mcgwire gamer.

rudy.
    Thanks for the tip Rudy, I came across that bat while I was searching. It is no doubt a Mac gamer and it is signed nicely as well! I am looking for one from the cardinals but I may come back to this one if it is still available. Thanks again

The sig on that bat is no good in my opinion. Its a shame because that was a really nice bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rboitano View Post
    The sig on that bat is no good in my opinion. Its a shame because that was a really nice bat.
    Sig looks ok to me..I would say its authentic... but the placement is a little weird and it is a bit small...I dunno

I dont like the sig at all. Heres a 90 era example of a Mac sig.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

close up
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I dont like the sig at all. Heres a 90 era example of a Mac sig.
    the one on the bat seems much shorter, this would be characteristic of a ballpark sig or hurried auto..usually he takes his time on a game bat. I am undecided on this one...leaning towards authentic still tho. If it isn't someone ruined a really great bat. No doubt about the useage on the bat being from McGwire.

close up
    This looks authentic to me, what part are you finding questionable?

[QUOTE=STLHAMMER32;168338]

I remember reading about a spring training incident where another yankee trying to make the roster stole a Jeter bat and glove..he took it to a collect who paid him hansomly for the "find". I wonder how often it happens...
    QUOTE]

Probably not as often. Is it really worth it to a MLB player to lose his job like Rueben Rivera did over a Jeter glove. Hope not.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.