X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dewey2007
    • Dec 2007

Re: OT: 30 for 30 on ESPN: "Without Bias"

Originally posted by mbrieve
    The 30 for 30 documentary series on ESPN has been awesome. The subject matter has been great: Gretzky to the Kings, USFL, Ali vs. Holmes, Len Bias, etc. These are must see documentaries if you are a sports fan. A lot of these topics I was aware of, but really too young to have any kind of real knowledge of them. I would suggest catching these docs when they are on, very well done!!!
    I agree. I watched the Ali/Holmes one as well last night and it was great. The footage they had was amazing. I'm definitely looking forward to more of the 30 for 30 series.
    sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• bigtruck260
      • Sep 2007

GREAT piece on Len Bias.

I was 11 when Bias died and it was a talking point for parents and teachers alike. By all accounts, he was a terrific kid outside of being the best basketball player in the country at the time (even in some eyes better than Jordan).

Some guys have one night stands and get AIDS, some drink and drive...and some smoke rocks. Bias was really just a young naive kid who made some terrible decisions.

His legacy is that coaches across the country STILL talk about Len Bias and what could have been...it's a valuable 'real life' lesson for all kids and some adults.

I was nearly in tears when his best friends spoke about him.
      Dave
      Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
      River City Redbird Authentics
      http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bigtruck260
        GREAT piece on Len Bias.

I was 11 when Bias died and it was a talking point for parents and teachers alike. By all accounts, he was a terrific kid outside of being the best basketball player in the country at the time (even in some eyes better than Jordan).

Some guys have one night stands and get AIDS, some drink and drive...and some smoke rocks. Bias was really just a young naive kid who made some terrible decisions.

His legacy is that coaches across the country STILL talk about Len Bias and what could have been...it's a valuable 'real life' lesson for all kids and some adults.

Dave gets it...

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by bigtruck260
          GREAT piece on Len Bias.

Thanks for a sensible and well expressed post. And you hit the nail on the head.....it was a painful "life lesson".

But how many "life Lessons" do we all need to be exposed to OVER and OVER and OVER again before the words get through?

Here ya go, people.....coming from the evil bad heartless duschebag drama queen (what have I forgotten.........) forum member....

IF you WANT TO DO DRUGS........it will ALL END BADLY. You will join the ranks of somewhere along the line, and lose everything, maybe even your LIFE.

Now, Nate......where's the bong party tonight? I'll bring the lighter.....

Comment

• frikativ54
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by suicide_squeeze
            Anyone who dies from a drug overdose, or any kind of complication from one, well.........I could care less. One less human being the world does not need around.

Yeah, he probably would've been great.......but does that really matter? He didn't have character strong enough to stay away from being a loser drug user??? When he had the world on a string? No, I'm sorry....no sympathy from me.
            It's genetics, not character, that determines drug use/abuse. Talk to former addicts and you will find out. Many are good people that did things that led to horrible outcomes. I always feel badly when people die...even if it's due to drugs.
            Les Zukor
            bagwellgameused@gmail.com
            Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
            (617) 682-0408

Comment

• frikativ54
              • Dec 2007

All I am saying is that I am sick and tired of this liberal attitude, saturated in society, that is ruining the world we live in. And that's coming from a guy who is NOT that conservative. I am a middle of the roader.
              You're not that conservative?!?!
              Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                • Nov 2005

Best emoticon. Ever

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by frikativ54
                  It's genetics, not character, that determines drug use/abuse. Talk to former addicts and you will find out. Many are good people that did things that led to horrible outcomes. I always feel badly when people die...even if it's due to drugs.

I do too. I feel badly. I really do.

But I can't find myself asking "Why?" Or thinking how tragic it was.....how unbelievable it must be for the family.....how terrible it is for the fans who lost a star.......when that person of interest took drugs which caused the disaster.

It's old news. Figure it OUT already. Drugs kill users, not "genetics". Len Bias' heart didn't stop because of "genetics".

Just like accidents kill. Not lack of "warning labels". Somewhere in time we lost our strength as a society to accept the pitfalls in life, and we started turning our sorrows to expensive attorneys who have f'ed up our entire existences. We have sacrificed "responsibility" with "judgements". Great. Nice.

And you all wonder why paying for insurance has become burdensome?

Figure it out, society, before it's too late. It's old already.

Comment

• frikativ54
                    • Dec 2007

It's old news. Figure it OUT already. Drugs kill users, not "genetics". Len Bias' heart didn't stop because of "genetics".
                    Just like accidents kill. Not lack of "warning labels". Somewhere in time we lost our strength as a society to accept the pitfalls in life, and we started turning our sorrows to expensive attorneys who have f'ed up our entire existences. We have sacrificed "responsibility" with "judgements". Great. Nice.[/quote]

Why does everything need to be about a nebulous notion of responsibility? For me, rather than judging people, it makes more sense to ask why this is happening, and realize that complex factors lead to drug use and abuse. As you may or may not realize, addiction has a biological basis.

That's not to say that there aren't other factors involved. Societal attitudes toward drugs play a part in this, as do people's past history of addiction and mental illness. You keep clinging to concepts like "responsibility", yet you have not explained why we have the kind of agency that your notion of responsibility is predicated upon.

I don't see any evidence that society is going to hell. Things are just fine in America.
                    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• frikativ54
                      • Dec 2007

Just like accidents kill. Not lack of "warning labels". Somewhere in time we lost our strength as a society to accept the pitfalls in life, and we started turning our sorrows to expensive attorneys who have f'ed up our entire existences. We have sacrificed "responsibility" with "judgements". Great. Nice.
                      Why does everything need to be about a nebulous notion of responsibility? For me, rather than judging people, it makes more sense to ask why this is happening, and realize that complex factors lead to drug use and abuse. As you may or may not realize, addiction has a biological basis.

That's not to say that there aren't other factors involved. Societal attitudes toward drugs play a part in this, as do people's past history of addiction and mental illness. You keep clinging to concepts like "responsibility", yet you have not explained why we have the kind of agency that your notion of responsibility is predicated upon.

I don't see any evidence that society is going to hell. Things are just fine in America.
                      Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                        • Dec 2008

I need a drink.

No.......several

Comment

• frikativ54
                          • Dec 2007

I need a drink.

No.......several
                          You're ignoring my points and assuming that concepts like responsibility are a given. They are not. For the amount of Frik-bashing you do, I would think that you would have composed an intelligent response to my question.

Your modus operandi is to call me stupid, say I am impervious to ratiocination, etc. Yet you have shown little capacity to respond seriously to a thing I am saying. Instead of just spewing about how the world is going to hell, present a cogent argument. It's not too much to ask.
                          Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• suicide_squeeze
                            • Dec 2008

You're ignoring my points and assuming that concepts like responsibility are a given. They are not. For the amount of Frik-bashing you do, I would think that you would have composed an intelligent response to my question.

Your modus operandi is to call me stupid, say I am impervious to ratiocination, etc. Yet you have shown little capacity to respond seriously to a thing I am saying. Instead of just spewing about how the world is going to hell, present a cogent argument. It's not too much to ask.
                            The Louisville Slugger jury verdict rendering, the shootings which are becoming a daily occurance, the political environment, the wars, and your reasoning ability have all proved my point. What left is there to argue?

How can I present an "argument" when I have no idea what the hell you are talking about? What "agency" is it you keep referring to? I mean, please, let's just forget the whole thing.

Tim Lincecum is a great guy, OK? Enjoy the squirrel.

Comment

• frikativ54
                              • Dec 2007

How can I present an "argument" when I have no idea what the hell you are talking about? What "agency" is it you keep referring to? I mean, please, let's just forget the whole thing.
                              Wikipedia is your friend.

Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                                • Oct 2005

Thanks for a sensible and well expressed post. And you hit the nail on the head.....it was a painful "life lesson".

But how many "life Lessons" do we all need to be exposed to OVER and OVER and OVER again before the words get through?

Here ya go, people.....coming from the evil bad heartless duschebag drama queen (what have I forgotten.........) forum member....

IF you WANT TO DO DRUGS........it will ALL END BADLY. You will join the ranks of somewhere along the line, and lose everything, maybe even your LIFE.

Now, Nate......where's the bong party tonight? I'll bring the lighter.....

HEY MODS!! Why was my post removed, when ones like this remain?? I have been a long-time member of this forum, outlasting everybody who was here when I first came on, so I think I deserve an explanation: In what way does this post support the purpose of the forum? Why is Squeeze any different from Joel Alpert? Oh, wait, you guys wouldn't do anything to him when he repeatedly broke rules, either.

Ken
                                earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...