Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

OT: 30 for 30 on ESPN: "Without Bias"

I'm watching the ESPN show 30 for 30 "Without Bias" about the death of Len Bias and it its bringing back so many memories.

As a young sports fan at the time it happened this is probably the most tragic death of a player that I can remember. Probably because I was only 17 at the time when it happened and I followed the ACC pretty closely even though I lived in California. Even though he got drafted by the Celtics that didn't matter much because he was going to be the shit when he got to the NBA. I just wanted to see him play.

Anyhow, I know all of us have our own tragic sports memories that have left us shaking our heads and thinking of what could have been. This happened 23 years ago and it is still so vivid to me.

Damn shame...RIP Len

Re: OT: 30 for 30 on ESPN: "Without Bias"

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
    I'm watching the ESPN show 30 for 30 "Without Bias" about the death of Len Bias and it its bringing back so many memories.

As a young sports fan at the time it happened this is probably the most tragic death of a player that I can remember. Probably because I was only 17 at the time when it happened and I followed the ACC pretty closely even though I lived in California. Even though he got drafted by the Celtics that didn't matter much because he was going to be the shit when he got to the NBA. I just wanted to see him play.

Anyhow, I know all of us have our own tragic sports memories that have left us shaking our heads and thinking of what could have been. This happened 23 years ago and it is still so vivid to me.

Damn shame...RIP Len

Dewey,

Nothing personal at all, but I have a different opinion of this tragic event.

"Len BiasCause of Death: Heart failure, due to narcotic intoxication"

I'm sorry, but at any age and at any time in my life, I can think of one HELL of a lot more tragic deaths in sports than this guy.

Anyone who dies from a drug overdose, or any kind of complication from one, well.........I could care less. One less human being the world does not need around.

Yeah, he probably would've been great.......but does that really matter? He didn't have character strong enough to stay away from being a loser drug user??? When he had the world on a string? No, I'm sorry....no sympathy from me.

Care for yourselves, people.....don't be self-destructive. This world we live in will handle that objective fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Dewey,

I'm sorry, but at any age and at any time in my life, I can think of one HELL of a lot more tragic deaths in sports than this guy.

Anyone who dies from a drug overdose, or any kind of complication from one, well.........I could care less. One less human being the world does not need around.

Yeah, he probably would've been great.......but does that really matter? He didn't have character strong enough to stay away from being a loser drug user??? When he had the world on a string? No, I'm sorry....no sympathy from me.

Care for yourselves, people.....don't be self-destructive. This world we live in will handle that objective fast enough.

Seriously??? You're kidding right? Have you ever had a family member die, no matter what the cause was? Obviously not I guess.

Dewey,

Steve, you have pretty strong opinions so I'll just leave it at that. It's not how the man died that matters. How many of us were his age doing stupid things that could have killed us. I can look at something like this from a different viewpoint then you due to things I won't get into on here but anytime someone young dies like this it is very tragic. It's not like he was gang banging or drug dealing. He was just celebrating with his boys because he got drafted by the NBA champions and he died of drug complications. Sure he may have used drugs recreationly but he was no different then thousands of other college kids at the time. I just mentioned it because it was a sports related death of a great player and one that still resonates with me. I can say with pretty strong conviction that what happened to Len Bias kept me from ever wanting to use drugs.

Anyhow, that's enough out of me. Your opinions on this are different then mine and that's OK. Happy collecting!!

Dewey,

Heartless comment. So young people should never have the chance for drug rehab and have a second chance at a drug free life? I guess the world doesnt need Josh Hamilton anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post

Damn shame...RIP Len
    I agree 100%.
    Forum member jdr3 knows I am a lifelong fan of ACC basketball, and he alerted me to this show a few days ago (thanks, Jim). This show brought back many bad memories of a true tragedy. When Len died, I was still a naive kid. This event was my first lesson in cynicism.

Here are two Maryland jerseys from the Bias era in my collection:

Worn by Terry Long, who was with Bias when he died.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    I agree 100%.
    Forum member jdr3 knows I am a lifelong fan of ACC basketball, and he alerted me to this show a few days ago (thanks, Jim). This show brought back many bad memories of a true tragedy. When Len died, I was still a naive kid. This event was my first lesson in cynicism.

Warren, I've seen these Maryland pieces in your collection and they are very nice. I saw that Huggins & Scott has a Len Bias warm up jacket in their upcoming auction. Should be interesting to see what kind of price that gets.

It was cool seeing all of the old ACC game highlights they had in the show. Those brought back a lot of good memories!

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    I agree 100%.

I graduated in the early 80's from University of Maryland and got to meet Len Bias and this was devastating for the Bias family, the school, and surrounding area as well as the Celtics that had just welcomed him as their future.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

The 30 for 30 documentary series on ESPN has been awesome. The subject matter has been great: Gretzky to the Kings, USFL, Ali vs. Holmes, Len Bias, etc. These are must see documentaries if you are a sports fan. A lot of these topics I was aware of, but really too young to have any kind of real knowledge of them. I would suggest catching these docs when they are on, very well done!!!

The 30 for 30 documentary series on ESPN has been awesome. The subject matter has been great: Gretzky to the Kings, USFL, Ali vs. Holmes, Len Bias, etc.
    Can one watch these online at ESPN?

Was hoping to catch the Terry Fox episode, but not even sure if it's been shown yet.