Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Go To Have It Auctions - Mickey Mantle 1964 "Mayor's Trophy" Game Used Bat

This bat is clearly a retail model Mantle bat. From the foil stamping to the 4 engraved on the knob. But it does come with an LOA from a former mets bat boy! haha

http://www.gottahaveit.com/LotDetail...=50&category=1

Re: Go To Have It Auctions - Mickey Mantle 1964 "Mayor's Trophy" Game Used Bat

It is a store model bat, but I took it as just a bat he was given to use for the charity exhibition game instead of using one of his actual gamers.

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    It is a store model bat, but I took it as just a bat he was given to use for the charity exhibition game instead of using one of his actual gamers.

Does that make sense?
    Nate,

This is how I looked at it. It at least says it is a store model bat in the auction...I don't know if he used a store model bat for that game but being an exhibition it is very possible mickey grabbed whatever bat they had...I can hear the Mick now..."Awe h*ll I dont give a #$#$ just give me that one..."

I dont see anywhere in the listing where it says "Store Model". Where do you see that?

This Hillerich & Bradsby Louville Slugger 125 Mickey Mantle model bat was used by Mantle in the 1964 Mayor's Trophy Game, a charity exhibition game played between the New York Yankees and the New York Mets on August 24, 1964. Mantle gave the bat to Paul Lozito, a New York Yankees and Mets batboy, after Mantle slightly cracked the bat at his only one at bat during the game. Paul had been a fan since he was a young boy and Mantle smiled when he asked for the bat and said, "Sure, Kid." The Mayor's Trophy Game was a precursor to the current "Subway Series" and was originally played between the Yankees and the Brooklyn Dodgers. This Mantle game used bat, with a stamped number 4 on the knob, comes with a letter from Paul Lizito, whose name can be found in the New York Mets 1964 yearbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Rboitano View Post
    I dont see anywhere in the listing where it says "Store Model". Where do you see that?

Fair enough. They should have listed it as a store model bat.

Since it was a charity exhibition game, I took it as this bat was given to him for the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Rboitano View Post
    On second look it doesnt say that. I read that it had the "4" stamped on the bottom and I assumed it was listed as a store model because it was so obvious. It should have been listed that way.... I guess I assumed it was if they were stating that it had the "4"......collectors will know it is a store model from this information but the average guy looking may not...this is not right you are correct.