Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gary Sheffield

Gary Sheffield

I was just curious what you guys think. Do you think Gary will keep playing until he gets 3,000 hits?

Re: Gary Sheffield

Doubtful. I think he wants to; but teams will not want his sullen clubhouse record of medical bills. Thome will be in a similar boat. He has a better clubhouse presence, but teams will at least have a choice of old DH's to hire that are one dimensional....
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Banned

Absolutely no chance. He is 41 and in the past two seasons he has not topped 100 hits. He needs slightly over 300 for 3,000 so at that pace he would have to play three full years and into a fourth season which would make him 45 when he reached the milestone. No way he plays that long. His defense is subpar so he really cannot play in the field on an everyday basis anymore and he does not produce enough to be a fulltime DH so if he sticks around it will be as a bench player/pinch hitter somewhere. Plus his rep will scare off many teams.

Banned

I pretty much agree with everything legaleagle says except for the part of him not producing enough to be a full time DH. Sheff defintiely can end up being a full time DH somewhere and can defintiely proiduce in such a role. His last 2 seasons showed that.

I think in Sheffs cards he may have 1 or 2 more seasons left in him and again that is if a team wants to take a chance on picking him up.

I know of 2 DH's on the market for 2010....Sheffield and Thome. Hmmm. which would you employ for YOUR ballclub?????????????
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skyking26 View Post
    I know of 2 DH's on the market for 2010....Sheffield and Thome. Hmmm. which would you employ for YOUR ballclub?????????????
    Although he's played the field a lot more than those 2 in recent years, you might want to add Hideki Matsui to that group. The White Sox have some interest in Godzilla, and that interest is in his being a DH.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Although he's played the field a lot more than those 2 in recent years, you might want to add Hideki Matsui to that group. The White Sox have some interest in Godzilla, and that interest is in his being a DH.

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    Yes, if I were a GM and saw these 3, I'd put Shef last or not even in consideration. His presence in Detroit was nothing short of a disaster.
    ROBERT KOPPEL

Thanks for all the reponses

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skyking26 View Post

Your assuming there is only 1 team that wants a DH.

I am sure there is going to be a few teams out there that want an extra power bat on the bench.

So if Matsui gets picked first and than Thome. I am sure somewhere there will be a team that wants Sheff.

Hey look at it like this the Rockies picked up Giambi!!

Along the same lines I think one of the injustices in the recent past is the fact that Fred McGriff never got to sign on with any team so he can reach 500 hrs. All he needed was 7 more.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.