Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RJB44
    • Jan 2006

MADOFF Auction - Mets Jacket

How do they figure a retail Mets dugout style jacket is worth $500-750? Just because it has his name in block letters on the back? Obviously someone will pay that just to have a part of the "scandal".

• kingjammy24
    • Nov 2005

Re: MADOFF Auction - Mets Jacket

the jacket already sold for $14,500.

Bid in a Proxibid online auction to acquire a JACKET: [1] Blue satin with orange trim jacket labeled and stitched with: NY Mets, 'MADF', '25' an from Gaston & Sheehan Auctioneers, Inc.

rudy.

Comment

• RJB44
      • Jan 2006

OMG !!!!! - Crazy !!!!

Comment

• hrvatwill
        • Jan 2008

This even made Bloomberg TV today which referenced that the jacket was only expected to go for $700; but as they pointed out, this isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the $65 bn in funds out of which he bilked investors.

Comment

• cjclong
          • Feb 2006

Why someone would want an item owned by a crook, much less pay about a thousand times what it is worth is beyond me. I can understand having something owned by a criminal in a museum, but why would someone want it in their home or office? And there is no way something like that would ever increase in value. If that jacket is worth $14,000 a Babe Ruth home run bat ought to be worth $50 million.

Comment

• emann
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by cjclong
            Why someone would want an item owned by a crook, much less pay about a thousand times what it is worth is beyond me. I can understand having something owned by a criminal in a museum, but why would someone want it in their home or office? And there is no way something like that would ever increase in value. If that jacket is worth $14,000 a Babe Ruth home run bat ought to be worth $50 million.
            My guess as to who will put it in their office... Any number of NYC brokers or investors who either got ripped off by Madoff or NYC elite who just want a nice conversation piece in their offices. It's probably going to be gag Christmas gift for someone's boss (I've known financial types who would do this and 14K is a drop in the bucket for a good joke)...

I doubt it was about it increasing in value, it was about the message it sends.

Comment

• metsbats
              • Nov 2005

Ironically this jacket will be worth more in the end than have you taken 14.5k and invested it in a Madoff securities account.
              metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• cohibasmoker
                Banned
                • Aug 2005

Since the Feds have seized most of Madoff's assets that they can find, I wonder if they will seize the money from this auction? Whether or not the money is seized, that is a crazy price for the jacket.

Jim

Comment

• jhunt28
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by cohibasmoker
                  Since the Feds have seized most of Madoff's assets that they can find, I wonder if they will seize the money from this auction? Whether or not the money is seized, that is a crazy price for the jacket.

Jim

I think the point of this auction was to raise money for the victims, at least that's what this news story says. So there wouldn't be anything to seize...

NEW YORK: Items once belonging to Wall Street swindler Bernard and his wife have fetched as much as 20 times their estimated value at a New York City auction.

Madoff is serving 150 years in prison after pleading guilty in a multibillion-dollar fraud that burned thousands of investors.

Proceeds from the auction will be divided among his victims.

Comment

Working...