Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Authentcity Question For CollegeJersey.com

gamehawk,

I do agree with you on Lampson and we both have the same view. I personally won't touch anything that he's signed off on for a variety of reasons.

That said, I am insulted that you would suggest that I couldn't provide an unbiased opinion based on who it came from. I have done business with Scott and collegejersey.com on numerous occasions and have yet to find an issue at all, but by no means am I strictly beholden to him/them. They don't employ me or pay me, so there's no company line to toe. I collect college jerseys and have four years (this coming season will be #5) of equipment room experience, and not one of those years was I employed by an authenticator or dealer or private collector.

I think it's a bit unfair to take this particular discussion and try to put Scott and CJ.com into the same realm as Grey Flannel, Lou Lampson, and others who are more than a bit shady. I have yet to see someone be able to make an accusation regarding the actual AUTHENTICITY (not semantics) of a CJ.com item that has been able to stick. I can't look at a single case and say "Boy, those guys exploit their name to really rail collectors over the table" like can be done with "the others". So to treat this like it's a huge watershed when it's a semantics issue is absurd.

But, as I suggested, start digging through hours of film and see if there's a better explanation for this. It's entirely possible that Elliott had a particular kind of jersey the first two games (that he didn't play in) and a different one later on in the season. This is actually somewhat common; I saw a Peerless Price jersey once that was used in an uncommonly cold game that was unlike every other jersey I'd seen from that year except one from a backup lineman. I've also seen a few that are of a lighter material being used for one game due to particular conditions. There was one NHL player who had to have his jersey first specially treated to prevent aggravating a skin condition. I once coached a guy (football) who wore a jersey that ended up completely destroyed and couldn't even be worn in a playoff game. We had his backup jersey, so he wore that....he then got injured on the opening kickoff and was done for the day. That ended up being a loss and the final game of the year. Guess what? Game worn.

So it's entirely possible that Elliott wore a jersey those first two games while not playing (which, according to the CJ.com glossary, is still game-used) and switched to a different one for one reason or another for the last games where he did play. As easy as it is to be cynical in this hobby, I'd prefer to look to there being a perfectly reasonable explanation in a case involving someone who has built a positive reputation in a short period of time.

As an aside, Mike Grueber has been collecting longer than a few people on here have been alive and literally is an encyclopedia of sport knowledge both major and obscure. He's one of the few guys whose word I would put absolute faith in.

Re: Authentcity Question For CollegeJersey.com

A quick addon....the goalie jersey I have is officially listed as such (keep in mind that MeiGray recognizes preseason, preseason/set 1, set 1, set 2, set 3, set 3/playoffs, playoffs, Stanley Cup Finals)....preseason GW/regular season GI, even though the duration of the goalie's callup period overlapped the set 1 and set 2 dates.

Banned

Re: Authentcity Problem with CollegeJersey.com

Quote Originally Posted by gamehawk
    Let me just hit on a few more things please:

Grey Flannel - People's Court Ripken Jersey FAKE
    Elite Sports - Hines Ward Cleats $490 FAKE
    California Sports - Ron's Shill Bidding Caught on Ebay FRAUD
    Historic Auctions - Pulling MANY Gamers out of there current auction because of questionable authenticity. (See Current topics on how people feel)

Maybe you are right about CollegeJersey.com not trying to put one over on me or the public for $199. But maybe, just maybe, you are wrong. As I listed above, those are just merely 4 examples of "Great Dealers" who have stirred up this fourm and this hobby in more recent times with there crap. So who is to say Collegejersey.com is not selling "Game Issued" as "Game Worn" By all the facts I described from Brenda's email, it seems they are doing some nice Guess Work on the jerseys they sell and cannot pin down wheter it was simply WORN or ISSUED. Joel, it is a 50/50 shot here buddy...

Those are facts.....and no one is being silly. What is silly is watching you try to dig Historic Auctions out of there current problems.
    Sorry, I was off-line the last few days.

Just a public note to you - (REMOVED) for your comments above about me working with Historic Auctions so they would work with us to improve their auctions. It is none of your business who I am nice to and you are so out of line even mentioning it.

I put myself on the line to middle the discussions with James Brown and forum members, and you take a shot at me for it? Why? Because someone wanted to get to the bottom of the story before they decided never to talk to us again? Give me hell for trying, (REMOVED) for your comments when I was trying to help. I made my mind up about Historic last night, and I posted in the appropriate category a general post why I will not middle with them and GUU anymore. I tried to get the whole story, and you give me hell for talking to the guy? (REMOVED). Go deal with your $199.00 jersey accusations elsewhere because you crossed the line here today. Eric won't let me post what I want to say to you, but you can guess.

You were a jerk to collegejerseys.com accusing them of possibly selling intentionally altered or not worn jerseys as game used and then you bring up other issues from other companies and say maybe this company is faking a $199.00 jersey and you don't like that I have defended them.

You are welcomed to my ignore list, along with others who post on this forum for no propose and can't have a discussion without getting dirty.

LIKE IT IS YOUR BUSINESS WHO I DEFEND OR WORK WITH ON THIS FORUM OR IN REAL LIFE!!!!

If you wish to reply to me, please do so via my private email which is listed below because I will no longer be able to read your posts on this forum. Sorry I tried to have a mature discussion and it got thrown in my face.

Banned

Re: Authentcity Problem with CollegeJersey.com

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU
    This has nothing to do with this post at all, but is one of the reasons why this forum sometimes annoys me. The Bush jersey (i will be bidding on it) in the AMI auction has been photo matched , not style matched, and is easily one of the nicest unwashed condition jerseys I've seen. And yet, the perception is there is a problem with it because peeople on the forum questioned the jersey BEFORE they put the photo match up, and also questioned the signature which PSA authenticated...If you are going to go through all that trouble to fake a jersey, why add a signature that if deemed fake ruins the whole jersey.....
    I saw that jersey last weekend it Chicago. I do not know anything about the tagging, but the jersey looked amazing.