Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RJB44
    • Jan 2006

Thoughts on 1985 Cal Ripken Jersey on Ebay

Just curious to see if anyone had any feedback on this item.

Thanks

• ironmanfan
    • Sep 2005

Re: Thoughts on 1985 Cal Ripken Jersey on Ebay

I haven't really looked at the jersey in detail yet and am not saying this is the case with this particular jersey but I can tell you that there have been quite a few 1985 home Ripken jersey's (and Murray too for that matter) in the hobby that are salesman samples. Off the top of my head I can think of 8 or 9 people (and add the 8 or 9 that have been offered to me over the past 20 years) who have these in their colelctions and I can tell you that Cal didn't wear that many tops that year...

Comment

• sox83cubs84
      Banned
      • Apr 2009

Is it just me, or does the Rawlings tag look like it has a different stitch pattern on the right side than on the top, left and bottom? Those flag tags look a little off, although I can't put into words just how I come to that conclusion.

Dave M.
      Chicago area

Comment

• GarkoCollector
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
        Is it just me, or does the Rawlings tag look like it has a different stitch pattern on the right side than on the top, left and bottom? Those flag tags look a little off, although I can't put into words just how I come to that conclusion.

Dave M.
        Chicago area
        Jerseys with Jock Tags often have a double stitch on that side to secure them. I feel like that jersey isnt laying flat either base don the shape of the Rawlings tag. Not saying its legit, but havent seen enough to prove it isnt.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
          Banned
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by GarkoCollector
          Jerseys with Jock Tags often have a double stitch on that side to secure them. I feel like that jersey isnt laying flat either base don the shape of the Rawlings tag. Not saying its legit, but havent seen enough to prove it isnt.
          Well, I do now. The extra length tag should read "2 INCH EXTRA LENGTH", not just "2 INCH EXTRA". This was taken from Rawlings items in my files of mid-1980s flag tags of this genre.

Stay away....far, FAR away!

Dave M.
          Chicago area

Comment

• lon lewis
            • Sep 2006

I think this is the same seller that has the "Mitchell '89 Giants" jersey. Among other things amiss, the back 8 on the "Ripken" jersey is on upside down. ( the smaller inside opening on the 8 goes on the top)

Comment

• jonschuette
              • Jan 2007

I have a 1985 Cal Ripken Uniform. The jersey has a 3 inches extra length patch that is sewn all the way around as opposed to this one which looks like a flag tag.
              I obtained mine from Barry Wolfsheimer.

Comment

Working...