Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thoughts on 1985 Cal Ripken Jersey on Ebay

Just curious to see if anyone had any feedback on this item.

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cal-Ripken-Jr-19...item35a4ec4b72

Re: Thoughts on 1985 Cal Ripken Jersey on Ebay

I haven't really looked at the jersey in detail yet and am not saying this is the case with this particular jersey but I can tell you that there have been quite a few 1985 home Ripken jersey's (and Murray too for that matter) in the hobby that are salesman samples. Off the top of my head I can think of 8 or 9 people (and add the 8 or 9 that have been offered to me over the past 20 years) who have these in their colelctions and I can tell you that Cal didn't wear that many tops that year...

Banned

Is it just me, or does the Rawlings tag look like it has a different stitch pattern on the right side than on the top, left and bottom? Those flag tags look a little off, although I can't put into words just how I come to that conclusion.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Is it just me, or does the Rawlings tag look like it has a different stitch pattern on the right side than on the top, left and bottom? Those flag tags look a little off, although I can't put into words just how I come to that conclusion.

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    Jerseys with Jock Tags often have a double stitch on that side to secure them. I feel like that jersey isnt laying flat either base don the shape of the Rawlings tag. Not saying its legit, but havent seen enough to prove it isnt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GarkoCollector View Post
    Jerseys with Jock Tags often have a double stitch on that side to secure them. I feel like that jersey isnt laying flat either base don the shape of the Rawlings tag. Not saying its legit, but havent seen enough to prove it isnt.
    Well, I do now. The extra length tag should read "2 INCH EXTRA LENGTH", not just "2 INCH EXTRA". This was taken from Rawlings items in my files of mid-1980s flag tags of this genre.

Stay away....far, FAR away!

Dave M.
    Chicago area

I think this is the same seller that has the "Mitchell '89 Giants" jersey. Among other things amiss, the back 8 on the "Ripken" jersey is on upside down. ( the smaller inside opening on the 8 goes on the top)

I have a 1985 Cal Ripken Uniform. The jersey has a 3 inches extra length patch that is sewn all the way around as opposed to this one which looks like a flag tag.
    I obtained mine from Barry Wolfsheimer.