Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Question Ripken bat: what is it? BMH?

Need some help...

Cal Ripken Jr, 1983-1985, Uncupped FT finish, P72, 35", 35 oz (35 is also written in pencil on knob)., #8 on both ends (looks vintage). Ripken Sr.'s auto burned in... It has no use and is signed by Cal (his old school, 80's-style signature). Story behind it is it came via a friend of a teammate in the 80's.

I emailed Mike Specht about it last week and he listed off a few orders, but nothing matches the 35. oz weight. One comes close—5/24/83 (35" / 34oz)...

So, what is this? Game issued or promo?

Also: Did LVS bother marking the weight on promo bats in the 80's?

Re: Ripken bat: what is it? BMH?

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    Need some help...

Cal Ripken Jr, 1983-1985, Uncupped FT finish, P72, 35", 35 oz (35 is also written in pencil on knob)., #8 on both ends (looks vintage). Ripken Sr.'s auto burned in... It has no use and is signed by Cal (his old school, 80's-style signature). Story behind it is it came via a friend of a teammate in the 80's.

I emailed Mike Specht about it last week and he listed off a few orders, but nothing matches the 35. oz weight. One comes close—5/24/83 (35" / 34oz)...

So, what is this? Game issued or promo?

Also: Did LVS bother marking the weight on promo bats in the 80's?
    That's not probably not Cal Ripken Sr.'s signature burned in.....Cal's first signature model on LVS bats was simply "Cal Ripken."

Hard to say...
    If an order is supposed to be a certain weight doesn't mean we always hit make it exactly. As an example, our turner screwed up and made a bunch of Posada bats 34oz instead of 33oz a few years back. Posada called up and said they were perfect. So we kept making them 34oz and marking them 33oz. We eventually stopped when he bought the digital scale and started weighing all his bats.
    Brian Hillerich

eman:

email me as I tried to respond to your Personal Message, however I learned that you aren't set up for responses.

Bill
    whhp72@yahoo.com

Thanks Brian & Bill...

I'm going to assume it was probably a bat from the 5/24/83 order that is just off by an ounce.

That would put it in the correct time period it was originally acquired from Ripken.

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    Thanks Brian & Bill...

I'm going to assume it was probably a bat from the 5/24/83 order that is just off by an ounce.

That would put it in the correct time period it was originally acquired from Ripken.
    Hello Emann:

Please shoot me an email at my address below, I have a question or two for you?

Thanks,

Brett

brettherman2131@hotmail.com
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Email sent.