Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Re: Any Item In Your Collection HOF Worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny899 View Post
    I thought of loaning or donating one of my Rickey Henderson jerseys for this, his HOF year. However the previous threads regarding loans and donations to the Hall had me concerned as to a potential return if any. So I'm still undecided as to that call.
    Regarding an earlier post, those bats pictured, Ruth, Mays, Aaron etc, those are the kind of bats you want to stand near in the HOF and have someone take your picture with them. They're more of an artifact than a collectible or a "piece." Real nice treat it is to view those beauties. Thank you.
    Dan
    Dan....wow, thanks. Coming from you, I sincerely mean "thanks".

I wouldn't worry about "loaning" anything to the Hall with the worry of not getting it back. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are forms that accompany any artifact being donated....and I guess that would be the same if it were a loan. They would not "accept" your item if the paperwork wasn't "signed" by yourself. Of course, this would allow you ample time to read all the disclosure and figure out if what you were about to send there way was, in fact, a "loan", or a "gift donation".

It is apparent they do take "loans" for different reasons at times....so you very well may be the go-to guy for Henderson, if they need an authentic jersey of his for a display. Look into it, that would be pretty darn exciting to have one of your items displayed in the Hall of Fame. I know I'd be proud if they ever displayed one of mine.

Regards,

Steve

Steve,
    Thanks for the compliment on the Stephenson piece. I would donate it to the Hall of Fame for the sole reason of enabling Mr. Stephenson to "make" the Hall of Fame. What's interesting is that he sent the questionaire to a fan long after he retired ,at a time when he could have been bitter at what current players were making and true to who he was,he remained a gentleman athlete in the best sense of the word. Imagine being the quaterback at Alabama and a lifetime .336 major league hitter over 14 seasons, and a precious few knew who he was. I find that amazing. And that's who I admire. The common man who attains great things and remains a common man.
    I love baseball letters and notes and the market to my benefit, has ignored them.
    Another small piece:

This forum is designed for us to escape the maddening world around us so don't get too riled up on certain contentious issues. I try to attack the issue and not the author (I try!)and that succeeds mostly. Anyway,I suggest a good Coppola Cabernet and a Opus X cigar,enjoy your collection damn it.
    By the way,this thread didn't even scratch the surface of what the members of this Forum own privately. I would almost challenge the HOF, Us vs Them. As an example, check out member Seth Swirthy's collection.
    http://www.seth.com/coll_histbseballs_tn.html

And member Andy Fogel,the greatest private Met Collection:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/sp...l/24cheer.html
    I can go on and on. We have a lot of Hall of Fame worthy items.

Hauls of Shame's latest post:

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=12399#more-12399

Bat discussed is own by former GU member.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Babe Ruths very last at bat game used bat; It is important to note this bat is a one-year model 1932 bat. It was picked up off the field by Wally Berger, who upon hearing the Babe utter the imfamous words "I quit". asked Ruth if he could keep tha bat as a momento. Babe replied "Sure kid, keep it." Wally Berger kept the bat as his favorite keepsake until the day he died. His wife ended up giving the bat to Barry Halper, where the bat resided until the famous Halper collection auction of 1999. The fact that the bat is a 1932 model, many historians have argued, that it could have been one of Babe's favorites, and a bat that having been around for four years may have been used to hit a substantial amount of Babe's late home runs. Although that is pure speculation, one has to wonder why Babe would keep a bat around from 1932 and still be using it in 1935....the bat that marked the end of the most hollowed career in baseball history.
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Sadly, Steve is no longer a member here but let's get this thread pumping again.

I own jerseys of future HOFers in both Baseball and Hockey and a player whose number is retired by the franchise. I even own a jersey whose only mate is owned by the HHOF but I don't believe I own anything that any sports HOF would be interested in displaying.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com