Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Any Item In Your Collection HOF Worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    kyle,

in the hof.each team has a locker full of equipment. not sure if the items in the locker are from hof players of those teams or represent item from that are historical to the team. if its historical to the team, i would definitely see that item in the locker display. i dont think every team has a hof player so im thinking its historical items for the team. anyone know?

I do know what you're talking about. The last time I was at the HOF, which was 2005, I remember seeing that room with lockers for each team. I was thinking very well that the Kotsay jersey would best fit in there. They always have random memorabilia from each team from what I remember. World Series memorabilia....record setting equipment,,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Far be it from me to be the type to throw a cold bucket of water on you guys while you are in deep rem sleep ......

.......but I thought you'd like to know...the Hall of Fame doesn't take "loans" of ANYTHING for display. It's got to be a "donation"....or it will not be displayed in the Hall of Fame. That's the policy, agreed with or not. They just don't take the responsibility for "loaned" items. I have inquired into this a long time ago and was sent a very nice response explaining their operation. If I can find it, I'll post it here.
    I don't want to derail this thread, however I have to disagree with this statement that the Hall "doesn't take loans" of anything...

Obviously, the vast majority of the items they display have been gifted/donated to them, I did see actually see SEVERAL items with the notation "on loan from...." which actually gave me the idea for this thread.

The one that comes to mind first is the baseball that ended the 2004 World Series which is displayed with the notation that this ball was "on loan from Doug Mienkiewicz" (you think that Mienkiewicz just gave that baby to them???) Additionally, in the individual display cases of recent inductees Joe Gordon, Jim Rice and Rickey Henderson were various pieces noted as "on loan from....." Not all the loan items I noted were from players themselves, but "average people" too.

While I'm not certain, I also believe that the Barry Bonds infamous "asterisk" record record breaking 756th HR ball is "on loan" from Mark Ecko.

I think it's clear that the HOF would prefer to own all the items they display, BUT if someone had someone that "fit" what they were looking for at a particular time, it's painfully obvious that they are open to loans.

Without getting into semantics, I think most people understand the spirit of this thread (or at least I thought they would) and I'm looking forward to seeing what other people have to show...

Quote Originally Posted by kylehess10 View Post

I think the only possible piece I have that could be remotely close to being HOF quality is Mark Kotsay's jersey worn when he became only the 2nd player in Atlanta Braves history to hit for the cycle. It would look nice if inside a display for Atlanta Braves equipment.
    In the room that was mentioned, they had the cleats that the Orioles' Felix Pie wore when he hit for the cycle last summer....The indivdual team lockers showcase "histroically significant" items from both regular & HOF players aike......Your Kotsay jersey is a great thought.

Just to correct a statement made above, the HOF does indeed take items on loan. After the election of Dick Williams and Goose Gossage, the Hall borrowed a bat of each from my collection for one year. In the display case right next to my Williams bat was a beautiful Billy Southworth flannel, on loan from a prominent uniform collector. A year or two before, a couple of incredibly rare Negro League game bats were on display and described as on loan from a New Jersey collector. I also recall seeing several Joe Gordon items on display right now that I believe were on loan from the Gordon family (according to the small placards in the display case).

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
    Just to correct a statement made above, the HOF does indeed take items on loan. After the election of Dick Williams and Goose Gossage, the Hall borrowed a bat of each from my collection for one year. In the display case right next to my Williams bat was a beautiful Billy Southworth flannel, on loan from a prominent uniform collector. A year or two before, a couple of incredibly rare Negro League game bats were on display and described as on loan from a New Jersey collector. I also recall seeing several Joe Gordon items on display right now that I believe were on loan from the Gordon family (according to the small placards in the display case).

Greg
    Greg:

Thanks for the backup on this....After I sent my initial response to that erroneous remark, I remembered that a collector I knew loaned the HOF a Phil Niekro GU bat the year he was inducted as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    Additionally, in the individual display cases of recent inductees Joe Gordon, Jim Rice and Rickey Henderson were various pieces noted as "on loan from....." Not all the loan items I noted were from players themselves, but "average people" too.

For the Rickey Henderson HOF display, there is a 1981 Henderson A's Jersey on loan from Mark Simmons, a collector.

Like you said, the HOF prefers to own the item but if they discover an item that fits the theme of the display, the curator won't pass up the item.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Just wanted to put some FOOTBALL in this thread since it was never established WHICH Hall of Fame!!!

1994 Jackie Slater "Turn Back the Clock" jersey. Worn twice and the only one out there of this Hall-of-Famer!!

a few years back, I offered some items on loan to them. They replied w/ a letter, wanting only one of the items, it was the final ball pitched to a tigers hitter in tiger stadium (w/ a letter from jeff montgomery who was the pitcher). The letter had a fed ex number, I believe, with a prepaid shipping number...but the letter stated in was a donation. I replied back w/ a copy of the original letter, stating it was on a loan only condition.
    I never sent the ball. Someday I'll run across the copy of their letter & post it...kind of cool to keep w/ the ball though...
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

I have a Rollie Fingers hat from his Cy Young/MVP season (1981). Rollie donated it to the Ohio Sports Hall of Fame after the '81 season.

I know Brewers stuff is not that impressive nationally like Cards/Bubs/Yankees/Sox, etc, but it is a HOFer from his most celebrated season.
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by harpt View Post
    I have a Rollie Fingers hat from his Cy Young/MVP season (1981). Rollie donated it to the Ohio Sports Hall of Fame after the '81 season.

I know Brewers stuff is not that impressive nationally like Cards/Bubs/Yankees/Sox, etc, but it is a HOFer from his most celebrated season.
    Are you kidding? Yount, Molitor and company are great.

check out his collection:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BdyRp9IAH0
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.