Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Any Item In Your Collection HOF Worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by staindsox View Post
    I know for a fact that Ty Cobb's false teeth were on loan and not actually part of the Hall's collection when they had a small wing displaying a portion of Barry Halper's collection. It is extremely rare for the Hall to only take an item as a loan.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...2686/index.htm

Well, more sanity hits the board.

Thank you staindsox for the clarity.

This once again proves.....as anyone who sets policies and standards in the world we live in, it's up to them to follow their own rules, if and when they want to. Obviously......rules and policies don't mean squat anymore, because they are totally subjective.....to whatever the powers to be want.

Quote Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
    Just to correct a statement made above, the HOF does indeed take items on loan. After the election of Dick Williams and Goose Gossage, the Hall borrowed a bat of each from my collection for one year. In the display case right next to my Williams bat was a beautiful Billy Southworth flannel, on loan from a prominent uniform collector. A year or two before, a couple of incredibly rare Negro League game bats were on display and described as on loan from a New Jersey collector. I also recall seeing several Joe Gordon items on display right now that I believe were on loan from the Gordon family (according to the small placards in the display case).

Greg

So Greg,

PLEASE.....share the story with us?

How did the Hall of Fame come to take your two bats on "loan"? What made the "connection"? Did you contact them after reading of a certain display that was up and coming? (Williams and Goose)? How did this all come about? Or...and I mean this.....are you someone who has friends in high places at the Hall? Are you an ex-ballplayer? What circumstance led your two bats to be loaned to the Hall?

I really am sincerely interested in knowing. Thanks in advance for your response.

The only things that the hall may want are 3 posters that i have. No one really knows what they were made for. But experts believe they were made in 1926 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the National League. I have seen only 2-3 copys of each team that i have. Also i did bring one up to the HOF before and they said they had never seen them before.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

This is an FYI ONLY!!! I am NOT siding with anyone here because I know that ALL Rules have an Exception. I'm simply stating the AVAILABLE facts for facts sake, so PLEASE - do not 'thank me' for 'backing' anyone... I'm just trying to navigate another thread that has headed off the tracks back on course.

I'm sure somewhere in the By Laws of the HOF, they too make exceptions to their own rules. That said, this is from the HOF's website about making a DONATION. No where does it mention being able to make a LOAN or them accepting loans. It does address the fact however that DONORS of 3 Dimensional artifacts will recieve a LIFETIME PASS and a Donors Certificate.

(As to why no one else could have copied and pasted this before is beyond me... I think members here just like to argue with each other for the sake of arguing and this thread has become another example of that.)

http://community.baseballhall.org/Page.aspx?pid=374
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donate an Artifact

Gifts of objects associated with baseball's history are essential to the growth and educational potential of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum and artifacts are actively sought. Past donations have provided the Museum with the outstanding collection that continues to appeal to all generations from varied backgrounds throughout the world.
    There are, however, many great stories from the past and present which need acknowledgment in Cooperstown. The Hall of Fame acquires appropriate objects for its collection solely through gifts from the general public and amateur and professional baseball organizations. Baseball enthusiasts and historians are always welcome to contribute to the Museum's holdings and become an active participant in the Hall of Fame's future.
    All objects submitted for acquisition are reviewed by members of the Museum's Accessions Committee, which is charged with accepting only those items of historic significance which support the Museum's education and exhibit programs. Only after this group gives its approval do submitted objects become registered artifacts.
    If you own an object that is part of our pastime's history, and you would be interested in sharing it with fans everywhere, not only at the present time, but for generations to come, the Hall of Fame would like to hear from you. To ensure that the Accessions Committee has all the information it needs to properly evaluate your proposed donation, please be sure to submit the following information:
    • A photograph of the object
    • A brief description of the piece, including dimensions
    • All available information on the age and origin of the object
    • Potential donor's name, address and phone number
    • Any other information about the history of the object
    All proposals are welcome in hopes you will join the Hall of Fame in preserving the heritage and future of the national pastime. Proposals may be addressed to:
    Registrar
    National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
    25 Main Street
    Cooperstown, NY 13326
    Although the Museum and its staff are prohibited from providing appraisals of any object, donations to the Museum may be tax deductible to the extent of the full fair market value of the objects donated. In addition, donors of three-dimensional artifacts will receive a lifetime pass to the Museum and a donor's certificate. Library donors will receive a certificate of donation.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this puts this issue to rest so that the thread can get back on topic. I would like to see other people's items that they believe might be 'Hall Worthy', not more of this same ole', same ole' drivel that seems to infect every thread here lately.

- Chris

Only two I think. Detroit's Davy Jones letter to author Lawrence Ritter thanking him for sharing profits from his book,"The Glory of Their Times"

And dykstra's 1986 post season home jersey:

I also wanted to comment on a library/museum's perspective on donations. At first glance, it looks like a good deal. After all, they're getting something for free, right? A lot of people don't see quite how expensive each donation can be.

Let's take something simple like a book. It costs at least $50-100 for most places to accept a title.

1) They would have a professional cataloger examine it and create and entry with appropriate classifications and housing location (what use is it if nobody can find it). Even if a cataloger spends 20 minutes with it, that adds up fast.

2) Security features are added; like taddle tape or microembossing. The books might be processed with a spine label and it might also be encased in a mylar type plastic or get its own archival box. You're paying someone to do all of that, plus the cost of materials.

3) Then they house it in a climate controlled vault. They only have a certain amount of square footage. The space it uses is an expense.

4) I don't know what kind of insurance they have, but each addtional item would in theory cost them more here too. Of course this is particularly relevant if the item is of significant value.

If you wanted to really get granual and start talking about other expenses, your cataloging software, online catalog, computers/server/etc, and security systems are also costs.

Anyway, I won't argue each expense. Some are a matter of accounting and depreciation and I'm sure I left other costs out, but the general point is, each donation is expensive. That is why they really only try to take items to fill holes in their collection. Even if you have a fantastic item worthy of their collection, they might not take it if they already have something like it.

Chris
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

OK...no big surprize here.

Found a copy of my old email. It's the exact same "generic" response that the Hall apparently sends to everyone who inquires or emails them in regards to donations or "loans"....

I will post the pics of the actual copies, and also provide pdf links which are much easier to read.

I have blacked out my address and home phone number for obvious reasons.

First, actual photos of the email, then pdf links:

No problem sharing my story, although it's not too exciting. I'm just a collector who noticed back when the Hall put together an exhibit highlighting Ichiro breaking George Sisler's hit record, that they used a replica or post career Sisler bat in the display (it was identified as such -- I just can't remember which it was). At the time I mentioned to someone there that I had a Sisler gamer and would have gladly loaned it. I contacted the Hall after the Southworth/Gossage/Williams election and offered bats of all three, and they asked for the two.
    My guess is the loans primarily are accepted for the displays of new inductees-- those displays are temporary -- they're only up for one year until the next group of new inductees is honored.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Greg

I think the idea of this thread is to SHOW what item of yours is believed to be HOF worthy. When it was mentioned early on that this is a great thread,it was in anticipation of some interesting photos to come. Not to debate whether there is a loan policy in effect at the HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
    No problem sharing my story, although it's not too exciting. I'm just a collector who noticed back when the Hall put together an exhibit highlighting Ichiro breaking George Sisler's hit record, that they used a replica or post career Sisler bat in the display (it was identified as such -- I just can't remember which it was). At the time I mentioned to someone there that I had a Sisler gamer and would have gladly loaned it. I contacted the Hall after the Southworth/Gossage/Williams election and offered bats of all three, and they asked for the two.
    My guess is the loans primarily are accepted for the displays of new inductees-- those displays are temporary -- they're only up for one year until the next group of new inductees is honored.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Greg

Greg, thanks for sharing. Interesting concept, and you very well may be right. Did you supply "photos" of your bats of Williams and Gossage when you asked the Hall if they wanted to borrow all three? Again, just curious.

And guys, the reason I am curious is this:

At the time I asked the question to the Hall, I had just bought one of the most significant bats on the face of the earth (not my opinion....the opinion of many baseball historians who have aired it out on threads everywhere). The bat marked the end......the finale.......of the most hallowed career in the annuls of baseball history....perhaps sports history in general. The Babe's last at-bat game used bat, dropped by him on his gallop to first base, and after being thrown out, picked up off the field by the Boston Braves #4 hitter (behind Babe in the line-up), Wally Berger.

Wally idolized the Babe, and it was a dream-come-true for him when Ruth was signed for what was to be his last hoorah on the Braves. As most of you know, he signed because he believed the deal was the first step in becoming manager of a Major League team, something the Babe always wanted to do upon retired from active play. When he figured out that wasn't to be the case, he was unhappy, grounded out using this very bat and while walking back into the dug-out uttered the imfamous words "I quit".

Wally asked him, with the bat still in his hand, if he could keep the Babe's bat as a momento. Babe, being the ever-so-gracious giver he was said "Sure kid, keep it".

Wally kept the bat until the day he died, which has been attested to by his wife. She eventually gave the bat to Barry Halper, and the rest is history.

Can you guys understand how I could come to the conclusion that the Hall of Fame, after turning down the "loan" of this bat, must have meant they don't do loans, period?

I mean, I wasn't offering them some piece of insignificant garbage only made valuable between my ears because I owned it??? They sent me a freaking FORM response to that offer, explaining ......well, you guys can read it below. It speaks for itself.....the very same wording express34 (Chris) posted.

So Greg, your "theory" just may be correct.....if the item fits the present-day need, the rules get lax.....I understand it completely.