I was looking at the Stars & Stripes hats auction on mlb.com and was specifically interested in the Victor Martinez Hat.

While this is a great charitable cause that is certainly worthy of our support, I was concerned after doing a little research on the hat being offered. These hats were worn on July 4th weekend. Since Martinez was traded from the Indians at the deadline (July 31) he was not on the Red Sox when they wore the hats.

In 2008, the hats were also worn on September 11th and it appears, at least the Yankees, wore their red hats on September 11, 2009 as well. The Red Sox game on September 11, 2009 was rained out and checking Getty, it appears they did not wear them the following day.

Bottom line, I am having trouble finding any game (after Martinez joined the team) in which the Red Sox wore the red hats. Am I missing something? Assuming I am not missing something here, I wanted to give the board members a heads-up as I know I am not the only Martinez collector on here.

I have emailed MLB.com but do not expect a response. Dont get me wrong this is an incredibly important cause, and while the listing does not explicity state the hats are game used, it certainly is implied.