Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

OT: Player you regret collecting

I just was corresponding with a collector who collected nomar garciaparra for the longest time and now regrets it. say it was a complete waste of time looking back. anyone else felt this way about their collection or shifted away from collecting a certain player. What was the reason.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

Re: OT: Player you regret collecting

Well I can't honestly see someone regretting who they collect unless they did it for investment purposes.
    But honestly if your going to collect it should be more for the love of the hobby.

As far as the Nomar collector unfortunately Nomar's career has dwindled down but he still has had a great run and worth collecting. Nomar hasn't become a bad person or anything, he is just getting older.

The only reason why I can see maybe someone regretting to collect a particular person would be because the player became a bad person in society.

Hey look at my collection. I collect D. Strawberry, not that great off the field but on the field it was a thing of beauty to watch.

His career dwindled down because of his extra activities but I wouldn't regret collecting him because he was a great player to watch.

I actually agree with Jason on this one.

Regretting a bad investment, sure, but regretting a choice to collect a certain player, that has not happened to me.

I don't regret collecting Andruw Jones, but I do regret spending almost $600 on just his hat and batting gloves. His stuff is just so cheap now after his horrific season with the Dodgers in 2008.

William Roger Clemens

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
    William Roger Clemens
    I would have to say Sammy Sosa 1st and Roger Clemens second. Luckily for me, I got out of almost all of my Barry Bonds items.

I have probably over $50,000 worth of Roger Clemens and about $20,000 of Sammy Sosa which is all based on money I have spent on the items I still have.

Like I found with the last Steiner Yankees Clemens jersey I sold, it is better to sit on it for another 20 years as the values are really bad now (unless something changes in the future).
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Many years ago, an art dealer offered me a Charles Russell water color. He said it would undoubtedly go up in value. I told him that was great, but I didn't like it. He said if you don't like it, don't get it. Investment should be secondary. I think that is good advice for collecting too.l

When I was a kid, I spent 90% of my lawn-mowing money on 1990 Upper Deck cards. At the time, I had Missouri's largest Ben McDonald collection. I religiously bought Beckett at the Walgreens to show my friends how much my collection was worth.

I came across it in my closet not long ago (I'm 34 now)...and will probably keep it to use as an example for my kids. Funny thing is, I used to have about 100 of them. Now there are FIVE. I had alot of hatred for the 'prospect' label - and many of those cards ended up as kinding for my juvinile pyro fetish.

With the Game Used stuff, I only collect players that I have already enjoyed watching. My collection is MUCH more past focused than what the flavor of the month is.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big truck
    Just for clarity's sake, you mean that you used to have 100 Ben McDonald cards, not 100 kids. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Well I can't honestly see someone regretting who they collect unless they did it for investment purposes.
    But honestly if your going to collect it should be more for the love of the hobby.
    I think the guy regrets the amount of money he put down on the player and then seeing the prices at where they are at now. Hes still picking up his stuff so maybe it's a timing issue.

But I do not think he would have had the collection he has now if he waited until the downturn to occur to get started. Would he be able to accumulate the same quality collection had he started when the downturn occurred?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.