Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: NFL Auctions - Doug Martin Bucs jersey

I couldn't agree more legal. For all I know Doug Martin himself could be buying his own shirt, or perhaps a relative.

When an item is meaningful to a collector, and as you stated you can afford it,
    then by all means.

Quote Originally Posted by pacman2680 View Post
    I couldn't agree more legal. For all I know Doug Martin himself could be buying his own shirt, or perhaps a relative.

When an item is meaningful to a collector, and as you stated you can afford it,
    then by all means.
    Exactly. If you've got the dough and you want it, go for it. There is a fine line here between being critical of someone's purchase and commenting on the future value of a piece.

One thing that we must remember, in spite of my agreement that the purchaser could never in any conceivable circumstance recoup his/her funds on this purchase, is that this was an auction and there was an underbidder right behind the buyer.

Most of us probably have pieces that we bought knowing full well we were paying over market value. I know I have at least a couple of items that I purchased knowing but not caring that I could not recoup the funds.

I am being critical and it is my right to judge. Not that is is polite or nice for me to judge, but judging is like an "opinion." I think whomever bought it displays questionable purchasing tactics and those tactics have a residue effect on the rest of the hobby.

I could go into a long rant about that, but in short. In some way all purchases alter the hobby some markets are tighter than others and a small number of high selling prices can hurt a future purchase of yours. JO Sports pricing structure was based on a small number of people that paid full price on particular items. Form there it was up to you to be able to negotiate them down.

I am forthcoming when it comes to my mistakes in the hobby. I freely give out my personal phone number on here often as well. I don't have any issue with anything being said as long as it is factual.

If the person who paid $6800 for that Doug Martin jersey has an issue with what I wrote, they probably need to have something better to worry about than an opinion of a guy on a sports forum. Plus with $6800 to burn, they probably already have a lot of better things to do that to take my opinion and have it emotionally effect them.

Paul and Jake are completely on the mark in their comments. While I agree 100% with their observations on these issues, first and foremost, let's keep in mind that NFL Auctions is raising money for charities. That's the most important factor and we should not lose sight of that fact. Charity auctions often get a bit crazy with the bidding and final price as some folks are more than willing to continue the bidding knowing that the money is going to a good cause.

This is a good thing and what it is really all about with regards to charity auctiuons, but as collectors, it can greatly affect the market as Paul and Jake have stated so well in their posts.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

People overpaying does hurt the rest of us, but it is what it is. There are lots of reasons people want what they want. Who knows. This guy could have taken his son to the game, the kid falls in love with the way Martin plays... and here you go little Johnny, I'm the best dad ever and here is the jersey he played in from the game we went to. Not everyone is Emmitt Smith or Walter Payton. I'm sure I've paid too much for Eric Davis items, but certain things I've wanted and I wasnt going to let them get away.... He wasn't the next Willie Mays, doesnt mean he wasn't Willie Mays to me. If its for charity, too bad he didnt pay a hundred grand for it. Heaven forbid one of us not get a sweet deal on a jersey and someone needy gets $ from a charity.

BOOOOO charity! Joking. I know it can be irritating when someone has an endless flow of cash... but being jealous doesnt solve anything. Or bitter.... just sell your car next time and buy that Martin jersey.

Am I getting accused of being jealous that.

I am a very open and direct person. I would have no problem stating that was or am jealous, my main issue is that those high sell prices do affect the market overall.

I usually only get jealous on a purchase when I find that someone got something for a steal and I missed out on it.

I fully support people making money and doing whatever they want with it.

But on the "charity" side of it, I often say this about most charities.... There is never really full accountability where exactly the money goes. It is usually spoken of in general terms of what overall your money goes to. However, a lot of people's money that goes to charities often goes to the non profit organization's office supplies, electric bills, and other opperating expenses, not to mention salaries of workers.

I have worked for 2 non profit organizations within the last 10 years and donners people would be surprised where their money goes. It is not in a malicious or illegal way, but there is often a healthy amount of public relations spin put on most charities to get funds. Then they will streamline the message to show that all the proceeds or funds go to help cancer, children, symphony orchestras, or whales.

Banned

Something that noone seems to over point out when they bemoan the rices items sell for on NFL auctions is that 95% of the items auctioned on there are never seen again in the hobby. Check Ebay and the major auction houses and you seldom see NFL Auction items in their auctions. These items end up in what must be some pretty impressive private collections so the talk of resale value is just that talk.

Interesting point Legal, although one could argue they never hit the market because the collectors will never get what was originally paid on nfl auction.
    And the thought of selling an item at a fraction of what was paid is dreadful.

For example the jersey of a player gone bust like Vince Young. His jerseys sold for multiple thousands when his career looked promising. Now, from a selling standpoint, you'd be lucky to get 500$ for one of his jerseys.

Either way, as I mentioned an item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. It's hard to really put a price tag on gu items. And if someone can afford it, why not, especially if it has a special meaning.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pacman2680 View Post
    Interesting point Legal, although one could argue they never hit the market because the collectors will never get what was originally paid on nfl auction.
    And the thought of selling an item at a fraction of what was paid is dreadful.

For example the jersey of a player gone bust like Vince Young. His jerseys sold for multiple thousands when his career looked promising. Now, from a selling standpoint, you'd be lucky to get 500$ for one of his jerseys.

Either way, as I mentioned an item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. It's hard to really put a price tag on gu items. And if someone can afford it, why not, especially if it has a special meaning.
    You never know until you try. They could just put it on the bay with a BIN with option to accept offers or as an auction with a reserve. I have had stuff I thought I overpaid on and then was pleasantly surprised to actually make money when I sold it. Other stuff I thought I got a great deal on and lost money.

Legaleagle is right to some extent as you rarely see NFL Auction items up for sale on eBay or via major auction houses. Some things do pop up but for the most part once an item is sold, it is gone.

There is an exception though and that is the buying and selling of certain high end pieces between collectors. I have been lucky enough to buy a number of 49er pieces that had been sold via NFL Auctions but only because I knew the collector who had the piece.

Both Frank Gore shirts I own were purchased from a fellow board member and for a price that was slightly higher than his purchase price. We both agreed that the sale price was fair thus the deals were completed. I don't think that the shirts would have changed hands had the price been lower as the original owner could have just as easily kept the jerseys.

I have sold 3 or 4 and have purchased at least 8 49ers NFL Auction gamers to other collectors. None of these jerseys would have shown up on eBay or in an auction thus giving the appearance that the jerseys are still with their original owners.

Considering that NFL Auctions has been selling gamers since 2001, the overall availability of 95% of the hundreds of jerseys sold is extremely low. Without a "network" of collectors I would have never been able to add most the shirts that I did not win myself.

I also agree that there are some incredible collections out there and in many cases these collections are like whales- they bring in many pieces but rarely spit out anything.

Always buying 49er gamers and ALL 1994 49er game used items. Paying a finders fee.

Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com