Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

View Poll Results: Edgar Martinez first ballot HOF?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Ballot

4 11.11%
  • 1-5 years

7 19.44%
  • 5-15 years

5 13.89%
  • Never

20 55.56%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Edgar Martinez Designated for the HALL???

Here, please take a look and hope this can change those of you who dont think he can. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABP...2010344959.pdf

This was mailed out to all voters by Seattle for their review.

he was a great ball player... i wish i saw more of him (being a national league fan).. hard working... no steroids (i hope).. he deserves serious consideration.. dont think he makes in right away, but hopefully he will. its a great honor to be elected, but i think they earned a good living, and fan recognition is just as important.. i wont lose sleep.

This is a nice write up, I just don't see the immediate yes with him...For instance Look at alomar's numbers...10 Gold Gloves, 500+Doubles, 80 Triples, 200+ hrs, .300 lifetime batting average coming from a 2nd Baseman! These are similar to Edgars and Alomar played second base for petesake and at a gold glove level. Edgar compares well to Will clark or a John Olerud type...good players, but Hall of Fame?? I'm really not understanding how anyone could say an immediate yes to him.

Alomar and Dawson are players that will fight to get in and Ive gone over there numbers... shown how not only did they have very good numbers but also played defense at gold glove levels year in and year out.

He could "sneak" in someday but to even mention first ballot is a far stretch from reality.

Cool Re: Edgar Martinez Designated for the HALL???

Not that it matters much now, but should MLB change the DH award to the Paul Molitor Award? I mean, he was a DH for a good portion of his career and is in the HOF. If Edgar isn't hall worthy now or in the future, why name an award after someone so mediocre?
    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan

Here is the list of upcoming candidates:

2010: Roberto Alomar, Kevin Appier, Andy Ashby, Dave Burba, Ellis Burks, Andres Galarraga, Pat Hentgen, Mike Jackson, Eric Karros, Ray Lankford, Barry Larkin, Edgar Martinez, Fred McGriff, Mark McLemore, Shane Reynolds, David Segui, Robin Ventura, Fernando Vina, Todd Zeile

2011: Jeff Bagwell, Rafael Palmeiro, John Olerud, Kevin Brown, Larry Walker, Juan Gonzalez, Tino Martinez, B.J. Surhoff, Marquis Grissom, John Franco, Bret Boone, Al Leiter, Benito Santiago, Carlos Baerga, Raul Mondesi, Bobby Higginson, Wilson Alvarez, Rey Sanchez, Charles Johnson, Jose Offerman, Ugueth Urbina, Ismael Valdez, Dan Wilson, Paul Quantrill, Cal Eldred, Kirk Rueter, Steve Reed

2012: Edgardo Alfonzo, Pedro Astacio, David Bell, Jeromy Burnitz, Vinny Castilla, Scott Erickson, Carl Everett, Jeff Fassero, Alex S. Gonzalez, Danny Graves, Rick Helling, Dustin Hermanson, Jose Hernandez, Brian Jordan, Matt Lawton, Javy Lopez, Bill Mueller, Terry Mulholland, Jeff Nelson, Phil Nevin, Brad Radke, Joe Randa, Tim Salmon, Ruben Sierra, Jose Vizcaino, Bernie Williams, Eric Young

2013: Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Craig Biggio, Curt Schilling, Sammy Sosa, Mike Piazza, Kenny Lofton, David Wells, Julio Franco, Shawn Green, Steve Finley, Roberto Hernandez, Jeff Cirillo, Jose Valentin, Reggie Sanders, Jeff Conine, Jose Mesa, Royce Clayton, Bob Wickman, Ryan Klesko, Aaron Sele, Woody Williams, Rondell White, Mike Lieberthal, Tony Batista, Mike Stanton, Sandy Alomar Jr., Damian Miller, Todd Walker

2014: Moises Alou, Armando Benitez, Sean Casey, Jose Cruz Jr., Ray Durham, Damion Easley, Jim Edmonds, Keith Foulke, Eric Gagne, Tom Glavine, Luis Gonzalez, Mark Grudzielanek, Scott Hatteberg, Jacque Jones, Todd Jones, Jeff Kent, Jon Lieber, Esteban Loaiza, Paul Lo Duca, Greg Maddux, Matt Morris, Mike Mussina, Trot Nixon, Hideo Nomo, Jay Payton, Kenny Rogers, Richie Sexson, J.T. Snow, Shannon Stewart, Frank Thomas, Mike Timlin, Steve Trachsel, Jose Vidro

Looking at these lists of candidates, there are very few that pop out as an immediate "yes." Some are tainted by confirmed/suspected steroid use, some just borderline candidates, and most just aren't remotely worthy. I don't see a single candidate on the 2010 thru 2012 lists that is Hall-worthy. Nobody in those three years worth of voting reached any magic milestones other than Palmeiro, and he was someone that actually tested positive for 'roids, not just suspected of using. 2013 should be a very interesting voting year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Here is a numbers comparison of four different DH's.

1. .289 BA 2866 Hits 384 HR's 488 2B's 1628 RBI's
    2. .312 BA 2247 Hits 309 HR's 514 2B's 1261 RBI's
    3. .260 BA 2135 Hits 338 HR's 366 2B's 1276 RBI's
    4. .274 BA 2380 Hits 350 HR's 424 2B's 1372 RBI's

1. Harold Baines
    2. Edgar Martinez
    3. Don Baylor
    4. Chili Davis

....and Baines only got 5.9% of the vote in 2009.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Banned

Edgar makes it? I guess then we'll have to make room for Jeromy Burnitz.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

This is the worst stretch of players up for the Hall of Fame probably ever....

I have been a supporter of Andre Dawson even as a Cardinal fan if he cant make it in now there is a serious serious problem....PUT IN THE HAWK~!

Banned

Speaking of upcoming Hall eligibles, how about Jeff Bagwell? 2300 plus hits, 1500 plus runs, 488 2bs, 449 hrs, 1500 plus RBIs, .297 BA, 4 all star games, Rookie of the Year, one MVP, one Gold Golve, 3 Silver Sluggers. He also led the league in runs three times and won an RBI title. The media has him pegged as a hall of famer, but what do the people on here think? I would personally vote no but I am a tough critic.

I don't care what anybody says, I will always believe Edgar is HOF worthy. If you look at the company he shares regarding players with at least 2,000 hits, 300 home runs, a BA over .300, OBP over .400, and SLG over .500 - He is clearly good enough.

If a player like Travis Jackson can get in then Edgar should get in. Hell players get in for having great defense and not good offense. Edgar is one of the best hitters in the game. It's just too bad he didn't start his MLB career at age 23 like most others. Then there wouldn't be as many naysayers and he probably would have spent more of his career as a position player.

If he does not get in now, he will withint the 2nd and 3rd try. The DH award is and always will be named after him.