Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

View Poll Results: Edgar Martinez first ballot HOF?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Ballot

4 11.11%
  • 1-5 years

7 19.44%
  • 5-15 years

5 13.89%
  • Never

20 55.56%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Edgar Martinez Designated for the HALL???

I think that Larkin has the best chance of the new HOF candidates.

12x All Star Selection
    3x Gold Glove winner
    9x Silver Slugger Winner
    1995 MVP
    1993 Clemente award winner
    1994 Gehrig award winner
    He also won a World series

Member of the 30/30 club
    2,340 hits
    .295 lifetime batting average
    379 stolen bases
    198 HR
    960 RBI's

All as a Shortstop...These numbers are very similar to Sandberg...who is a HOFer

He's definetly worthy....

Quote Originally Posted by brianborsch View Post
    I don't care what anybody says, I will always believe Edgar is HOF worthy. If you look at the company he shares regarding players with at least 2,000 hits, 300 home runs, a BA over .300, OBP over .400, and SLG over .500 - He is clearly good enough.

If a player like Travis Jackson can get in then Edgar should get in. Hell players get in for having great defense and not good offense. Edgar is one of the best hitters in the game. It's just too bad he didn't start his MLB career at age 23 like most others. Then there wouldn't be as many naysayers and he probably would have spent more of his career as a position player.

If he does not get in now, he will withint the 2nd and 3rd try. The DH award is and always will be named after him.
    Not to say anything about Edgar's chances, but can you please please PLEASE not take one of the 5 worst mistakes in the HOF and use him to promote your guy. If Travis Jackson is the standard, then about 1/4 of all Major League players get in, and then we rename it the "Hall of Good Players."

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post
    This is the worst stretch of players up for the Hall of Fame probably ever....

I have been a supporter of Andre Dawson even as a Cardinal fan if he cant make it in now there is a serious serious problem....PUT IN THE HAWK~!
    AMEN! Preach it, brother!!

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Roberto Alomar and Barry Larkin should get in before Edgar Martinez. I am not sure any will be first ballot though, but based on position Larkin probably has the best chance with Alomar a close second. Both Martinez and McGriff should remain on the ballot as well.

Dawson and Blyleven both might make it this year.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    Speaking of upcoming Hall eligibles, how about Jeff Bagwell? 2300 plus hits, 1500 plus runs, 488 2bs, 449 hrs, 1500 plus RBIs, .297 BA, 4 all star games, Rookie of the Year, one MVP, one Gold Golve, 3 Silver Sluggers. He also led the league in runs three times and won an RBI title. The media has him pegged as a hall of famer, but what do the people on here think? I would personally vote no but I am a tough critic.

Bagwell is in to me, there might be some steroid controversy down the road that could affect the outcome maybe even for Edgar it's tough to tell....if palmeiro did it anybody could have.

but even if he did I am not one to keep a guy out for it, it was an era with a problem but that is for another debate.looking at Bags....

Once again good numbers but not numbers that you would look at and go "HALL OF FAME NUMBERS"! like the big milestone 3000 hit club 500 hr club..

That being said 1 hr shy of 450 hr's and a few shy of 500 doubles while hitting almost .297...very good.

He was a rookie of the year and an MVP which adds some very nice credentials. Throw in a Gold Glove as well that just adds to the resume...he was well liked by teammates and has loyal fans, stayed with one organization his whole career which is just another plus.

I like the case for Bagwell, not a no brainer necessarily but when you look at his body of work nobody could be mad about him getting voted in. Bagwell is a YESS!

One thing to remember about the designated hitter position is that no fielding is still better than bad fielding. It could be argued that Edgar Martinez' fielding at DH was often better than Manny Ramirez' in the outfield.