Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: Mac Bat

Mac Bat

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D1

Zane Burns usually has really good stuff. Not saying this isn't legit but it is very interesting because the tar patterns don't reflect normal patterns for a Mac bat. The other odd thing, look at the PSA/DNA website Authen tication comments on this bat.
    PSA/DNA Authentication Services it is our opinion that the signature(s) is/are genuine. According to the Certification Database, this item is defined as follows:

Item: BAT
    Primary Signer: MARK MCGWIRE
    Authentication Date: 05/27/2008
    Result/Grade: Authentic
    Notes: Model Number: MAC 25, Length: 34.5 in., Weight: 32.7 oz., Wood: Ash, Wood Finish: Natural, Labeling period: 2000, and Condition: Uncracked, Written Identification: Ounces Marked. Use Attributes: Inconsistent Use. Autograph: None.

It is marked as authentic however it lists Use Attributes as Inconsistent Use. I am guessing this is due to the tar patterns? Very odd on this one.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Re: Mac Bat

My thoughts on this one are that the bat was prepared for game use by Mac but not used in actual games by him. It appears to be a legitimate Mac bat, it has correct factory markings, knob handwriting, centerbrand tar, and overall prep one would expect on a Mac bat -- however, I don't see the handle tar, nor do I see significant use if any at all (just rack marks and/or black streaks caused by a black bat scraping against it).
    I would class this as a game issued McGwire bat and price it somewhere in the $500-600 range.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Agreed... legit bat, but not Mac's pine tar pattern. Also notice the ink transfer on the bottom/left-hand hitter's side. Wouldn't expect a ball mark there on one of Mac's bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    Agreed... legit bat, but not Mac's pine tar pattern. Also notice the ink transfer on the bottom/left-hand hitter's side. Wouldn't expect a ball mark there on one of Mac's bats.

Jeff - I want to get my Mac bats signed after seeing your collection. That sig on the 4th bat down is a real nice sig!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

For the record, those aren't my bats. Only the 7th one down is mine, though I did once own the 3rd and 5th ones down. The one you mentioned, Andrew, belongs to my friend George; he got it at auction from LaRussa's ARF. It is, indeed, a sweet bat.

FYI, the 6th bat is in Cooperstown and the 8th bat is in the Cards' HOF/museum. The top two belong to a team official; I repaired them and took shots while I had them in my possession.

The 2000 Mac Bat listed on Ebay looks like the knob has been sanded flat. This is a Red Flag for me anyway...I agreee as well, not too many ball marks on the Left Hitters side from Macs later Career.

Sean