Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how are prices for game used determined?

the other day I contacted Steiner about getting a Jeter signed game used baseball and was told over $3,000, which made me wonder how are prices for game used, as well as autographed, items determined? do the teams, athletes, dealers determine this? how does it work? thanks.

Re: how are prices for game used determined?

What Steiner typically does is determine the actual value of an item, then they multiply that by 10 or 20 and use that price instead.

Banned

If you want a Jeter signed game used ball try Ebay during the season I saw a few for under $400 and they were Steiner certified. Game used and autograph prices are determined by a combination of factors, including: The cost of the item to the company selling it, the profit that such company desires to make off of such product and current market conditions such as how in demand the player or team in questions products are at the time.

Here is a link to a Steiner action for a Jeter Game Used Ball with a starting bid of $222. No bids yet. They also have a cleat and batting glove with same starting bid

http://auction.steinersports.com/cgi...unbr=111586828

thanks, so is the selling price fully determined by the company? do the teams/athletes have any say in this as well?

also what about regular autographed items? since I mentioned Jeter, is it he or Steiner who dictates his signed photographs sell for $500?

It's a partnership (or quasi partnership) between the Yankees and Steiner, so the prices might be determined by both together.

As noted, their prices are very high and you can get a Jeter autographed baseball elsewhere for lower.

What I said was for game used equipment. For signed baseballs, the player is probably involved and gets paid. I don't believe players are involved with the game used equipment, as the team owns that stuff not the players.

My personal opinion is I think $500 for a Jeter signed photo is insane.

For game used, prices are determined by what the next guy is willing to pay. It's that simple.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Unless a personal took TARP money from the Federal Government, a person is free to put whatever price tag they wish.

Just my opinion. I hope I didn't offend any member.

Jim

Thats just plain ridiculous! There are general rules of thumb, but we see them being broken all the time.

The Colorado Rockies certainly have a good system for the most part, when it comes to game used pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
    the other day I contacted Steiner about getting a Jeter signed game used baseball and was told over $3,000, which made me wonder how are prices for game used, as well as autographed, items determined? do the teams, athletes, dealers determine this? how does it work? thanks.
    Following Game Used/Worn auctions and team sales: www.twitter.com/gameused