Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Leland's 1969 Hank Aaron bat I don't think so....

Nice catch Mark17. Many thanks to you as I was about to put some hard earned money towards this one. Lelands just withdrew the auction.

Thanks. Now, here's my confession; I DID bid on it myself before I spotted the problem.

I'd love to know what the whole story is. Did Peraza find a 73-75 Aaron bat somewhere and then write a bogus letter of provenance? Or did the story actually happen exactly as described, and somewhere along the line the bat was switched?

In any case, Leland's should've noticed the inconsistency immediately, but mistakes can happen. Bottom line is, they ended up doing the right thing, so in my mind their integrity is still 100% intact.

Banned

No shock this is not the first time something from a former player is not legit, auction houses relax when they get stuff like that and they should not.. Remember the late Al G. the Dodgers outfielder who made that famous catch on Joe Dimaggio in the World Series that time and how he auctioned off the "glove" but then later claimed he still had the glove? That is just one example off the top of my head.

Banned

Recalling anothe story like Legaleagle's, Shotgun Shuba consigned three Brooklyn jerseys to MEARS for auction. MEARS rejected one...a 1955 World Series jersey that Shuba's son acknowledged was purchased from a dealer, not kept all those years by Shotgun.

Dave M.
    Chicago area