Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hall of fame question???

My mom asked me what i think was a good question tonight.And i did'nt really know the ansewer to it.So i thought i would ask you guys.Does a player get to choose what team they get inducted (for any sports) hall of fame.Or does the league of that sport tell them.I guess during bowling tonight the conversation came up as they were watching the vikings/cardnals game.And they were debating which team farve would go into the hall as.I told her i think the player get's a choice if the player played for the teams close to the same period of time.But in the case of farve,i don't think he would have a choice.That he would have to go in as a packer as he made his fame there.I think i remember this coming up for a baseball player.I think it was wade boggs,that he wanted to go in as a devil ray but the league told him he had to go in as a yankee.And i just was'nt 100% sure so i would like to hear what you guys think.This thread is'nt just about farve going into the hall.I would like to hear what all sports policys are about this

Re: hall of fame question???

Quote Originally Posted by jobathenut View Post
    My mom asked me what i think was a good question tonight.And i did'nt really know the ansewer to it.So i thought i would ask you guys.Does a player get to choose what team they get inducted (for any sports) hall of fame.Or does the league of that sport tell them.I guess during bowling tonight the conversation came up as they were watching the vikings/cardnals game.And they were debating which team farve would go into the hall as.I told her i think the player get's a choice if the player played for the teams close to the same period of time.But in the case of farve,i don't think he would have a choice.That he would have to go in as a packer as he made his fame there.I think i remember this coming up for a baseball player.I think it was wade boggs,that he wanted to go in as a devil ray but the league told him he had to go in as a yankee.And i just was'nt 100% sure so i would like to hear what you guys think.This thread is'nt just about farve going into the hall.I would like to hear what all sports policys are about this

the hall of fame decides. i think it used to be the choice of the player but it changed when some players may have asked compensation from a team if the player chose their team. winfield for some reason comes to mind. correct me if i am wrong.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Yep...they will listen to the players wishes if there are two obvious choices (like Clemens if he were to get in). Winfield was shopping his hat in 2001.
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by staindsox View Post
    Yep...they will listen to the players wishes if there are two obvious choices (like Clemens if he were to get in). Winfield was shopping his hat in 2001.
    What would Clemens prefer? Houston?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Baseball and football are different, I believe. With baseball, players are associated with a particular team, as their plaque has an image of them wearing a particular team's hat. In football, the players' busts don't typically have them in helmets, so they aren't as strongly identified with a particular team.

I do recall reading that Marcus Allen wanted to "go in as a Chief" because of the way Al Davis had treated him his last years in Oakland. But I don't think there is an official team designation for football inductees.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    What would Clemens prefer? Houston?
    IF he were to get in, Boston would be the most obvious choice, but a case could be made for New York since he played there 6 years and won two rings with them.

Kind of like how Gary Carter could have either gone in as an Expo or Met, but certainly not as a Giant or Dodger. If there is a tossup like that, the Hall has said they would consider a player's feelings/preference.
    Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

With football you go in under every team you played for, but bolded under the team/s with significant roles.

IE Emmitt Smith will go in as a Cowboy and a Cardinal, but DALLAS COWBOYS will be bolded.

Mike Ditka is in as a Chicago Bear and Dallas Cowboy, but Dallas is not BOLDED.....this is always a big debate here locally if you think Ditka should be on your autographed Dallas Cowboy Hall of Fame items.

I forgot that Boggs played for the Yankees.

The first person that came to my mind with regards to this topic is Reggie White. Reggie White played his best years with the Philadelphia Eagles, but I think the HOF put him in as a Green Bay Packer where he did win a Super Bowl. I disagree with this choice as he should be in as a Eagle based on his stats. Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks for the insight everyone.And thanks mark 17- i forgot that football its bust only so its really not the same thing for them.And i was asking my brother jason about this tonight and he said i was right.It was wade boggs that wanted to go in as a devil ray but the league stepped in and told him he could'nt do that.That he had to go in actaully (as i thought it was a yankee) as a red sox.So i was right about the player but wrong about the team.But i was right that boggs did play for the yankees.