Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Anyone going to the Red Sox yard sale?

Quote Originally Posted by scrinjun View Post
    SUPRISE! I just got the email notice that I was not selected. But I'm still not surprised.
    I didn't get selected either...

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    I didn't get selected either...
    That makes 3 of us

I would point out that we are still seeing the eBay backwash of all those obscure '90's and 2000's no-name jerseys they sold last year. Many listing even cite the Yard Sale as the origin. Thsi has pushed down prices for legit common Sox jerseys quite low. Did not hear many stories about people pulling out star jerseys from the grab bags.

Don't get me wrong, if I did not live in San Francisco, I would definitely go. But I think Steiner has mined all the "good stuff" before the doors open. I am sure you all noticed that this year Steiner has "syndicated" much of their 2009 Red Sox inventory to all the other auction houses.Grey Flannel had a bunch last night, as did the GUU auction where I bought a 2008 home plate (very cool and very heavy).

Matt

Matt

Banned

The grab bags where only 50.00 so it's not like I expect a Mo Vaughn gamer or a Andre Dawson. Still for 50.00 a common player is a steal at that price.

Missed it last year but bought about 10 un-opened bags from a source. The best player was a Tim Wakefield worst was a Robert Person.

Actually, I saw a number of people open bags while outside Fenway and pull a number of star players (I saw Lowell, Tek, Ortiz, a Jim Rice coach jersey, etc)... I think Steiner actually didn't have access to most of the stuff from the early 90's, it was probably in deep storage (and since the Sox never really sold jerseys off until Steiner era, they had a ton of older stuff). Above the jerseys was a sign listing all the star players that were included in the bags and it was just about everybody. I was there at the end of the night and one dealer bought an entire bin of jersey grab bags, probably 400+ (I assume this is the guy who keeps listing them on ebay)...

I pulled Wakefield, Jack Clark, Carlos Pena & a 2004 game issued (no name, but from the Series year).

The bat selection was pretty bad though, very expensive and mostly common players ($175 for a broken Kelly Shoppach or Wily Mo Pena).

Who knows what they'd have this year anyway, I assume last year wiped out most of the jerseys.

Can you tell me the date of this extravaganza?

Thanks

Sunday, but they limit attendance, running it like a contest that you need to be chosen in a drawing to attend.

If you win, they send you a confirmation email and you show ID to get in.