Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Tiger Woods effect

Are you concerned about the value of any of your valuable game used items blowing up due to the Tiger Woods effect?

Will it be the same as the steroids effect, or even the Michael Vick effect?

Re: The Tiger Woods effect

I think prices and demand for his stuff tumbles. He went from the squeaky clean golden boy to a serial adulterer(bringing up other questions about his character) seemingly overnight. His popularity with the general public is ruined which will spill over to the collectibles market. Oh yea- and he's not going to play golf for a while.
    k

perfect time to buy. imo
    Collecting current Brewers players and Prospects

brewergamer28@yahoo.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

ESPN has reported that Tiger is taking "indefinite leave" from the PGA to try and fix his mess. No word on howlong that "leave" will be, but their are beliefs that it may last long enough to keep him out of the 2010 Masters. I think golf, in general, will suffer, as Tiger was the straw that stirred the drink...with him gone, viewing, interest and collectibles action will all take a big hit.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    ESPN has reported that Tiger is taking "indefinite leave" from the PGA to try and fix his mess. No word on howlong that "leave" will be, but their are beliefs that it may last long enough to keep him out of the 2010 Masters. I think golf, in general, will suffer, as Tiger was the straw that stirred the drink...with him gone, viewing, interest and collectibles action will all take a big hit.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

I believe I read that viewership was down 40-50% while Tiger was out with his knee injury last year.

Banned

Now is the time to buy, there is noone in golf to fill the Tiger void. Even if he took the year off (which he probably will not) the majors would probably be won by four different no names that will never win again. It is like with Arod at the start of last season coming off the steroid admission and missing time his stuff declined in value now after he came back played great won the World Series his stuff is hot again or Kobe after the rape case the same thing happened with. The media will move on to other stories and this will fade from the news. Tiger will golf again and eventually break the Majors' record. This scandal will not have a permanent effect as Tiger may have cheated on his wife but he never has been accussed of cheating at golf and he committed no crime besides having very, very bad judgement and at the end of his career he will probably be remembered as the greatest golfer ever. Michael Jordan had gambling issues and many, many known affairs during his career and it did not exactly damage the value of his items.

Banned

Not that the PGA or Tiger Woods cares about my opinion (s) but for me, Tiger Woods WAS the PGA. If he didn't golf, I didn't watch it.

My wife asked me for a short list of thing (s) I wanted for Christmas. My number item was a Woods signed Master's flag. After the scandal became public, I asked her if she bought it and I was relieved to find out that she didn't. I guess I'll just have to settle for another box of cigars or the Aston Martin.

Jim

This is entirely different than Vick or the steroid scandal.....

With Vick he wasn't allowed to play, jail time might have wrecked a great career....his actions did not allow him to play, basically ending his career.

Steroid scandal effects hall of fame chances and is directly performance related. It calls into question what the player actually achieved and calls into questions awards and such.

With Tiger, this did not make him a better golfer... he will not do prison time. He is still allowed to golf if he wants...this wont call into question any achievements...

People may look at him differently and some may choose not to support him....sometimes seeing that a person is in fact "human" after all helps with the average person however.

Overall, I would expect to see smaller items go down in price with the high-end items staying about the same or the usual auction ups and downs you would normall see.......if you are thinking of selling I would definantly wait..now is the time to BUY.

I have a hard time seeing anyone paying stupid money for a polo shirt worn once by Tiger. I can't even come close to saying it's time to buy now.

At the same I can't believe those went for tens of thousands of dollars in the first place, so what do I know? When it comes to GU items, sometimes common sense flies out the window. Too bad it's never when I'm selling!

Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Wilt Chamberlain, Arnold Palmer, Michael Jordan, Joe Namath.....all were know as getting around/womanizers (sp)

It is just with the internet, TMZ, everyone with cell phone cameras this is a story he cant get away from.

What Kobe did was worse , and it has not hurt his value.

And i dont think it is the time to buy, bc there are a lot of people that are "thinking" that....i have not found any values yet....but if anyone is wanting to unload, let me know