Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Jays1fan

Anyone Here Collect Managers and Coaches ??

Just curious if anyone here Collects Managers and Coaches Game used Items. Seem they would be the Cheapest as far as price wise on picking up some game used items .

Re: Anyone Here Collect Managers and Coaches ??

Quote Originally Posted by Jays1fan View Post
    Just curious if anyone here Collects Managers and Coaches Game used Items. Seem they would be the Cheapest as far as price wise on picking up some game used items .
    I can't say I am specifically a collector managers and coaches, but being that I have attempted a straight run of every Mets style jersey worn on field during the double-knit era (BPs included), I have accumulated quite a few over time.

As far as specific managers or coaches... I do collect Bill Robinson jerseys. I have 5 Mets game used jerseys of his, representing 1 of every style he wore on field during his coaching tenure (1984-1989). I had dupes but have recently sold all of those. I also have jerseys from his playing days, so I can't completely lump him into the 'managers & coaches' category.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    I can't say I am specifically a collector managers and coaches, but being that I have attempted a straight run of every Mets style jersey worn on field during the double-knit era (BPs included), I have accumulated quite a few over time.

As far as specific managers or coaches... I do collect Bill Robinson jerseys. I have 5 Mets game used jerseys of his, representing 1 of every style he wore on field during his coaching tenure (1984-1989). I had dupes but have recently sold all of those. I also have jerseys from his playing days, so I can't completely lump him into the 'managers & coaches' category.
    what's the difference in price between a jersey from their playing days versus a jersey from their managing days? say for sparky anderson, joe torre, mike scioscia, joe giraldi or tony larussa.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    what's the difference in price between a jersey from their playing days versus a jersey from their managing days? say for sparky anderson, joe torre, mike scioscia, joe giraldi or tony larussa.
    Sparky only played one year in the bigs and LaRussa played only 132 games spread out over several seasons and combined with the fact that they played so long ago it is very unlikely that any jerseys from their playing days still exist. So for those two it would seem all that would be out there would be from their managing days. Torre I would think varies depending on the year because of his great success in both roles. Giradi I would think would have alot of both playing and managing jerseys on the market since his career was so recent and I think the managerial ones would be more valuable because he was an average player but is proving to be a very sucessful manager and he was the first manager to win a championship in the new stadium.

I am always looking for Manager's and Coach's jerseys and other items, minor league as well as major, and I've come across some really fun items over the years. When one of my favorite players winds up coaching or managing somewhere, I have been known to bug the hell out of the team, toward the end of the year, looking to buy a jersey or participate in an auction, if they're having one...to the point where I'm sure some of them probably think I'm a stalker.

As to actual, relative value, I can only speak to what item I would want and value more than another. I would take the jersey Mel Stottlemyre, Sr. wore a couple of years ago, briefly, as a special coach/advisor for the Diamondbacks, over any jersey he ever wore as a Major League pitcher or pitching coach...but that's just me and my collecting interests talking, the Snakes being my area of obsession.

I have quite a collection of items from Cal Ripken Sr. (including 13 game worn tops)....Probably my neatest piece is one of his bats used during his brief minor league career (non contract block letter H&B; late 1950's with a Hornsby style knob).

I picked up a 08 Rob Thomson jersey (3rd Base Coach for the Yankees) last year and decided to keep on collecting him along with players, here's what I have so far;

08 GU Road Jersey

09 Opening Week GU Road Jersey

09 Opening Day GU Home Jersey

I enjoy getting coaches and managers jerseys on both the minor league and major league levels. I just bought some coaches jerseys at the Phillies Holiday sale the weekend of December 5th and 6th including Rod Nichols and Greg Legg. I also have gotten coaches jerseys at the minor league levels.

Chris

One of my favorite Manager's items is a field jacket that Buck Showalter wore for the first part of the season in '99. He apparently really hates long sleeves - something we have in common - 'cause he had the sleeves of his jackets cut off to above the elbow, and he had them sew it up the front so it would never come open. (A control freak? Buck? )

Another favorite item is the notorious Robin Yount fungo bat that he inscribed "fondly" to the player who cracked it. I know I've told that story at least once.

I have a Mariners Fungo from Bob Melvin and one from Paul Molitor.
    Davis Emburey
    demburey@netzero.net
    Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!