Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Who owns bats/equipment, the player or the team?

Hi eveyone,

Just curious, I'm sure this must have been a post at some point in the past, but, as the I wrote in the title who owns them?

I know players put in orders for their own bats, but do they pay for them or does the team? Often when approached to sign a gu bat, players ask where someone got it, some even imply or say that it must have been stolen, which I find strange, as we all know that most teams sell gu bats, which would lead me to believe that the team owns them and not the player.....

Same question in regard to gloves, and catching equipment.

Sorry again if this has been coverd in the past.

Re: Who owns bats/equipment, the player or the team?

From what I know, I believe the players own their bats, fielding gloves, batting gloves, wristbands & cleats. The rest belongs to the team.

For catchers equipment, I think everything except the helmet belongs to the player. Basically anything that you see that is customized belongs to the player.

Pretty sure for the most part the team owns the equipment and jerseys. The player can buy his own stuff if they want or has first chance to purchase the stuff from the team if they want. Some players do buy the bats themselves at cost to be able to market them themselves. I believe with teams MeiGray works with. The player gets first crack even if the jersey is preordered. So say a player does something spectacular of reaches a big milerstone in the jersey. The can keep it themselves.

Bats are bought by the teams. Batting gloves and most other gloves are given to the players by the manufacturers.
    Brian Hillerich

Brian, do the players send you the orders directly, or do the teams order them on behalf of the payers?

Thanks again

Both
    Brian Hillerich