Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Re: If you paid BIG $ for JO's Cutler or Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by TriplexXxSports View Post
    I don't consider myself a better person, because I am far from. But the first thing I ask myself is... "if I purchase this, does it have the potential to make a profit?" If the answer is NO, then I will pass on it. Even stuff for my personal collection..
    I've been collecting GU since the mid 1980's and I have to admit that potential for profit has never entered my mind once for any of the pieces for my personal collection..

I'm certainly prepared to sell my items if I had to (loss of job, medical emergencies, mortgage, etc.), but I know that I can only expect to receive back the market value of the item at the time of sale (which may be more or less than what I paid for it).

Am I in the minority here?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    I've been collecting GU since the mid 1980's and I have to admit that potential for profit has never entered my mind once for any of the pieces for my personal collection..

I'm certainly prepared to sell my items if I had to (loss of job, medical emergencies, mortgage, etc.), but I know that I can only expect to receive back the market value of the item at the time of sale (which may be more or less than what I paid for it).

I agree with you. GU stuff is not much of an investment. Say you invest a grand in a jersey and three years later you sell it for $100 more than you paid, that is a 10% gain which amounts to only a 3.3333 percent gain per year over the three years. When inflation is factored in you are gaining even less than that. Also the longer you hold a piece the less it is worth for most players, including the superstars. People have a what have you done for me lately mentality and when a guy is retired and out of the spotlight for a couple of years people move onto the players of the moment and the hyped up young players, which causes demand and hence price to drop for the retired players. Look at JO or MEI Gray's websites they have jerseys of current hall of famers and retired players who are locks for the Hall selling for less than guys who have done very little if anything at the pro level. There are exceptions of course for example if someone was lucky enough to get a Brady or Romo jersey from their rookie years when they were nobodies and the jerseys would have went for a song they would obviously be sitting on a huge return no matter when they sold the jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post

Maybe, but I am of the same mindset as you. I have collected GU for only maybe 10 years, almost exclusively one player until recently, and I will pay whatever necessary to acquire my player. Have never once considered resale value. It may fetch pennies on the dollar one day, but I subconsciously or otherwise justify any GU purchase for my collection as: I get to keep it and enjoy it, vs. rounds of golf, days on the lake fishing, or other "experiences" which, although fun to priceless, are fleeting moments with diminishing returns also.

Travel is awesome, but you will not get a return on that either. I truly must say I have never regarded market value or resale value as a reason to hit or stay.

Also collecting Civil War artifacts and personal effects, mostly focused on a very narrow subset, I know I could flip some of these items for substantial profit, but would then be minus the intrinsic value of the item. One of my failings has always been that money is not important to me, but "stuff" is........

I agree with whomever said the value is set by the purchaser. It's a personal thing. Not all purchases are intelligent ones but some are driven by the "gotta have 'em all" mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich8 View Post
    Maybe, but I am of the same mindset as you. I have collected GU for only maybe 10 years, almost exclusively one player until recently, and I will pay whatever necessary to acquire my player. Have never once considered resale value. It may fetch pennies on the dollar one day, but I subconsciously or otherwise justify any GU purchase for my collection as: I get to keep it and enjoy it, vs. rounds of golf, days on the lake fishing, or other "experiences" which, although fun to priceless, are fleeting moments with diminishing returns also.

Travel is awesome, but you will not get a return on that either. I truly must say I have never regarded market value or resale value as a reason to hit or stay.

Also collecting Civil War artifacts and personal effects, mostly focused on a very narrow subset, I know I could flip some of these items for substantial profit, but would then be minus the intrinsic value of the item. One of my failings has always been that money is not important to me, but "stuff" is........

I agree with whomever said the value is set by the purchaser. It's a personal thing. Not all purchases are intelligent ones but some are driven by the "gotta have 'em all" mentality.
    Hey, I was trying to reach you but accidentally deleted your email. Did you see there's an Eisenreich bat closing on ebay this evening?

ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

"Why do you guys think a person would pay that much for a players jersey that is...."

1) they are loaded and a big jets fan and money is not an issue

2) a sanchez family member

3) fans of teams or players will always pay more to get the items they want, i have and will do it with my own collections because items are worth more to me than to others.

Quote Originally Posted by clinton2828 View Post
    "Why do you guys think a person would pay that much for a players jersey that is...."

1) they are loaded and a big jets fan and money is not an issue

2) a sanchez family member

3) fans of teams or players will always pay more to get the items they want, i have and will do it with my own collections because items are worth more to me than to others.
    AGREED!!!

It's like my Matt Holliday 2006 ASG GU BP Jersey that I got through Andrew Lang... MLB still had it available almost 4 years later... why? I'm sure because most people thought $800 + for the jersey was an insane price. To me, the jersey is worth way more as it is from Matt's 1st ever ASG and because Matt knows who I am. He gladly signed it and added a Game Used inscription when I showed him the MLB hologram and a print out of the Holo description verifying it from MLB as Game Used.

It is now a cornerstone of my Holliday Collection. I didn't buy it for resale, but it's funny how many Holliday collectors I know thought I was insane, but AFTER it was Autographed and Inscribed, they all now want it for a premium over what I paid...

Again, I'll go with the simple answer - PERSONAL TASTE / PREFERENCE. No one owes anybody any reason or explanation beyond that.

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    AGREED!!!

It's like my Matt Holliday 2006 ASG GU BP Jersey that I got through Andrew Lang... MLB still had it available almost 4 years later... why? I'm sure because most people thought $800 + for the jersey was an insane price. To me, the jersey is worth way more as it is from Matt's 1st ever ASG and because Matt knows who I am. He gladly signed it and added a Game Used inscription when I showed him the MLB hologram and a print out of the Holo description verifying it from MLB as Game Used.

It is now a cornerstone of my Holliday Collection. I didn't buy it for resale, but it's funny how many Holliday collectors I know thought I was insane, but AFTER it was Autographed and Inscribed, they all now want it for a premium over what I paid...

Again, I'll go with the simple answer - PERSONAL TASTE / PREFERENCE. No one owes anybody any reason or explanation beyond that.

- Chris

Chris, Thank you for that statement. I live by it.

Banned

See how it's a diagonal seam across the shoulder/upper chest area ! In the fake on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Jay-Cutler-Chica...item35a59b6239 it is straight across the chest, just under the NFL shield on the neck! This is an older design from 2005-06. Long before Cutler was a Bear ! This isn't even an authentic retail jersey ! It's an old jersey somebody with a sewing machine altered.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
    Hey, I was trying to reach you but accidentally deleted your email. Did you see there's an Eisenreich bat closing on ebay this evening?

ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
    Did indeed, hope to "overpay" for it! Thanks for mentioning it!

Joe

Banned

Check the Getty images ! Cutler never wore any jersey of that cut in any game, preseason or regular season. That is not a Game-used,Game-cut,or Game anything ! You can really see the difference in the upper shoulder of one of the pics. Cutler wore this same cut of jersey for EVERY game so far this year !