Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Does the opposing pitcher matter to you from a game used bat?

I think it definitely adds to the story, but if both can be traced to a game, I might be more swayed by what the player did with the bat. If one bat came from a game where the hitter went 4 for 5 with a HR and 2 Doubles, that might outweigh a bat broken by Zach Greinke in a hitter 0-3 with 2K and 3 groundouts.

What if I find out the game before the 4 for 5 outing, the hitter faced CC Sabbathia and Mariano Rivera, but the bat survived... hmm intriguing.

So, yeah, if it adds to the story of the piece I take it into consideration, but conversely I wouldn't shy away from a bat broken against John Bale. Though he probably doesnt break many bats. As David Ortiz once told me from the on deck circle, "I DON'T break bats in Kansas City"... And he didnt, which was sad, because I think he would have given it to me if he did.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Re: Does the opposing pitcher matter to you from a game used bat?

Quote Originally Posted by WadeInBmore View Post

What's your take? You posed the question but didn't answer it yourself. I know that you like to photomatch...but does it really matter to you. It adds a level of intrigue sure, but is it necessarily significant and does it add that much more value?

wade
    ah! Almost forgot!

Well I brought up this question because I noticed that I have 2 Rafael Furcal broken bats. 1 was broken off Chuck James and the other off Brandon Webb. I paid about $45 for the one off James and $80 for the one off Webb.

To me, it really doesn't matter who the pitcher was, but rather what type of photomatch it has. For the one hit off Webb, I have 3 photomatched photos of the break as well as the video. For the one off James, I only have the video and a screenshot of the bat while it was stuck in the ground after being broken. So I'd prefer the one broken off Webb than the one off James. Better pitcher, better photomatch.