Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Help with Wilbert Montgomery Jesrsy

Any thoughts on this Jersey? The pictures are not so clear and it does not have a nameplate. Was it a common practice to remove the nameplates?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1980s-Philadelph...item335939021e

Thanks

Rob

Banned

Re: Help with Wilbert Montgomery Jesrsy

The Eagles had extra jerseys of all of the players and the removal of nameplates was NOT that uncommon. I spoke to a couple of equipment guys during this era and they told me that the team was often asked for jerseys by Charities and for special events. If a jersey was indeed donated, the nameplate would be removed because the team owned the jersey and NOT the NOB.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Banned

Given Wilbert's time with the Eagles (1977-84) and the mainstream use of that Russell tag design (1977/8-83), it would almost certainly at least have been made for Montgomery. And, as Jim mentioned, the removal of the NOB is not terribly unusual in that era.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Thanks for the replies. It appears to me that Wilbert had his sleeves cut for game use. This is the Ebay picture. I found one picture that may show the sleeves not cut.

EBAY

Normal sleeves?

The others show cut sleeves.

Rob

The interesting thing with my prior post is that Wilbert has two gloves in one photo, 1 glove in another and no gloves in the third.

Rob