Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Hof Induction On Wednesday.who Doyou Want In

The one truly remarkable thing about Dawson I forgot to mention was how he played for years in pain from his knee problems. And he continued to put up very solid numbers. A lot of the time playing on those horrible artificial surfaces of the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by justinwc80 View Post
    If Barry Larkin doesn't make it in it will be a travesty. Greater than Ozzie Smith!
    WOW!! Seriously?? Ozzie was a better defender (one of the all-time greatest) and had more hits (in the same number of seasons) than Larkin. Plus all those stolen bases and World Series rings.

I know you're a Cincy guy so I get it...I am always clamoring for Ted Simmons too (more hits than any other catcher).
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Larkin/Smith 19 seasons
    162 game avgs Larkin .295 avg, Smith .262, HR 15 to 2, RBI 71 to 50
    Total career errors Larkin 235, Smith 281
    Larkin won MVP, Smith finished 2nd once
    Smith had 15 all star games, Larkin 12

Obviously stats don't tell the whole story but we all have to be honest and realize that Smith wasn't the best SS in the game for many of the all star appearances. Larkin never had the flash of Ozzie but was a wonder in the field and revolutionized the position. I can respect an argument either way, but I think the stats support my opinion. Love to hear other thoughts.

Banned

Bert Behome Byleven
    Jack Morris.
    Bert's a no brainer. I think Jack should get in for his accomplishments combined with his Rings. I think he has 4, and he was a pretty big part of 3/4.
    I'd love to see Larkin get in, but I'm not sure he warrants it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Greg,
    You're killing me (especially for a Reds fan ), he compares so much better than so many HOF players and shortstops. The only knock on him is that he missed alot of games due to injuries, but he performed well enough over so many years I can't see any reason he shouldn't be a first ballot HOFer.
    Great article by Jayson Stark
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof10/...son&id=4777032
    But these conversations are why I love sports

Banned

Yea, I know. Really, I need to study it more before I say that about Larkin. I'm more of a 70s Reds guy, so my opinion about Larkin is worth my usuall 2 cents....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm5711 View Post
    I'm primarily a Cub fan, and I watched many of Andre Dawson's years with them. Granted I didn't see his earlier years with the Expos before his knees got bad. but, I look at his numbers and just don't see why he should be in. I think the fact that there are so many guys in the 500 home run club now, and that he didn't come close to that hurts him a lot. Also the fact he did absolutely nothing in the post season and has no WS rings, you have to rely heavily on his stats. Other than his 1987 MVP year, and his early stolen base numbers, nothing really separates him. He was a career .279 hitter, and he never really combined any serious power numbers with those great stolen base totals. Anyways, I'd love for somebody to make a good argument for why he should so emphatically be in. The only two I see that truly deserve to be in are :

>Barry Larkin
    >Jack Morris

Both put up great numbers and were on some of the greatest teams of their era !
    I am a Cardinals fan and I strongly feel that Dawson is a Hall of Fame. If Dawson was healthy who knows what his stats could have been but even with the bad knees his accomplishments are Hall worthy in my opinion... His character is Hall worthy and that will become more and more important I feel as it seems public opinion is dictating who gets in...it is no longer about stats completely whether justified or not.....I will do my best to make a case for him.

An 8-time gold glove outfielder with one of the strongest arms in baseball history to go along with the glove.

An 8 time all-star, Rookie of the year, MVP on a last place team.

400/300 Club....Dawson is one of only three players with 400 or more home runs and 300 or more stolen bases. Other two in the club Willie Mays and Barry Bonds.

The Hawk was once intentionally walked 5 times in one game..this just goes to show how respected and feared the guy was..He was one of the most dominant players of his era.

The players he played with and more importantly the ones he played against say he is no doubt a hall of famer if there ever was one.

Banned

Andre Dawson...as a CUB!

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post
    I am a Cardinals fan and I strongly feel that Dawson is a Hall of Fame. If Dawson was healthy who knows what his stats could have been but even with the bad knees his accomplishments are Hall worthy in my opinion... His character is Hall worthy and that will become more and more important I feel as it seems public opinion is dictating who gets in...it is no longer about stats completely whether justified or not.....I will do my best to make a case for him.

An 8-time gold glove outfielder with one of the strongest arms in baseball history to go along with the glove.

An 8 time all-star, Rookie of the year, MVP on a last place team.

400/300 Club....Dawson is one of only three players with 400 or more home runs and 300 or more stolen bases. Other two in the club Willie Mays and Barry Bonds.

The Hawk was once intentionally walked 5 times in one game..this just goes to show how respected and feared the guy was..He was one of the most dominant players of his era.

The players he played with and more importantly the ones he played against say he is no doubt a hall of famer if there ever was one.

Yeah, but to even put what somebody MIGHT have done IF their knees weren't chronically injured into the equation is just not right. I don't have a huge problem with him going in. I just think he was as good(and not much better) than a lot of players who have never gotten in.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by justinwc80 View Post
    If Barry Larkin doesn't make it in it will be a travesty. Greater than Ozzie Smith!
    Being a Cub fan, The last thing I want to do is agree with a Reds fan.LOL BUT, I must say. "AMEN BROTHER" LOL. Larkin, was an AWESOME shortstop. He was a feared clutch hitter, and it would be a crime if he doesn't get in on the first ballot !