X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 33bird
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: Hof Induction On Wednesday.who Doyou Want In

Yea, I know. Really, I need to study it more before I say that about Larkin. I'm more of a 70s Reds guy, so my opinion about Larkin is worth my usuall 2 cents....

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by tjm5711
      I'm primarily a Cub fan, and I watched many of Andre Dawson's years with them. Granted I didn't see his earlier years with the Expos before his knees got bad. but, I look at his numbers and just don't see why he should be in. I think the fact that there are so many guys in the 500 home run club now, and that he didn't come close to that hurts him a lot. Also the fact he did absolutely nothing in the post season and has no WS rings, you have to rely heavily on his stats. Other than his 1987 MVP year, and his early stolen base numbers, nothing really separates him. He was a career .279 hitter, and he never really combined any serious power numbers with those great stolen base totals. Anyways, I'd love for somebody to make a good argument for why he should so emphatically be in. The only two I see that truly deserve to be in are :

>Barry Larkin
      >Jack Morris

Both put up great numbers and were on some of the greatest teams of their era !
      I am a Cardinals fan and I strongly feel that Dawson is a Hall of Fame. If Dawson was healthy who knows what his stats could have been but even with the bad knees his accomplishments are Hall worthy in my opinion... His character is Hall worthy and that will become more and more important I feel as it seems public opinion is dictating who gets in...it is no longer about stats completely whether justified or not.....I will do my best to make a case for him.

An 8-time gold glove outfielder with one of the strongest arms in baseball history to go along with the glove.

An 8 time all-star, Rookie of the year, MVP on a last place team.

400/300 Club....Dawson is one of only three players with 400 or more home runs and 300 or more stolen bases. Other two in the club Willie Mays and Barry Bonds.

The Hawk was once intentionally walked 5 times in one game..this just goes to show how respected and feared the guy was..He was one of the most dominant players of his era.

The players he played with and more importantly the ones he played against say he is no doubt a hall of famer if there ever was one.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
        Banned
        • Apr 2009

Andre Dawson...as a CUB!

Dave M.
        Chicago area

Comment

• tjm5711
          Banned
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by STLHAMMER32
          I am a Cardinals fan and I strongly feel that Dawson is a Hall of Fame. If Dawson was healthy who knows what his stats could have been but even with the bad knees his accomplishments are Hall worthy in my opinion... His character is Hall worthy and that will become more and more important I feel as it seems public opinion is dictating who gets in...it is no longer about stats completely whether justified or not.....I will do my best to make a case for him.

An 8-time gold glove outfielder with one of the strongest arms in baseball history to go along with the glove.

An 8 time all-star, Rookie of the year, MVP on a last place team.

400/300 Club....Dawson is one of only three players with 400 or more home runs and 300 or more stolen bases. Other two in the club Willie Mays and Barry Bonds.

The Hawk was once intentionally walked 5 times in one game..this just goes to show how respected and feared the guy was..He was one of the most dominant players of his era.

The players he played with and more importantly the ones he played against say he is no doubt a hall of famer if there ever was one.

Yeah, but to even put what somebody MIGHT have done IF their knees weren't chronically injured into the equation is just not right. I don't have a huge problem with him going in. I just think he was as good(and not much better) than a lot of players who have never gotten in.

Comment

• tjm5711
            Banned
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by justinwc80
            If Barry Larkin doesn't make it in it will be a travesty. Greater than Ozzie Smith!
            Being a Cub fan, The last thing I want to do is agree with a Reds fan.LOL BUT, I must say. "AMEN BROTHER" LOL. Larkin, was an AWESOME shortstop. He was a feared clutch hitter, and it would be a crime if he doesn't get in on the first ballot !

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
              • Sep 2009

Yeah, but to even put what somebody MIGHT have done IF their knees weren't chronically injured into the equation is just not right. I don't have a huge problem with him going in. I just think he was as good(and not much better) than a lot of players who have never gotten in.
              It should be noted that the guy was playing with two terrible knees because some people may not know..its not the reason he should get in but worth pointing out. There are some people out that you could argue should be in more but you could also argue there is some in already that Dawson deserves to be in over.

Dawson was an 8 time gold glove outfielder and was a 400 HR guy while stealing 300 bases. That is hall of fame credentials. Add in the fact he was revered as a teammate and his opponents had great respect and fear the guy..he deserves in.

All legit numbers without the worry of altered numbers by PED's

Comment

• tjm5711
                Banned
                • Dec 2009

It should be noted that the guy was playing with two terrible knees because some people may not know..its not the reason he should get in but worth pointing out. There are some people out that you could argue should be in more but you could also argue there is some in already that Dawson deserves to be in over.

Dawson was an 8 time gold glove outfielder and was a 400 HR guy while stealing 300 bases. That is hall of fame credentials. Add in the fact he was revered as a teammate and his opponents had great respect and fear the guy..he deserves in.

All legit numbers without the worry of altered numbers by PED's

I just think a player with zero WS appearances, and a .189 postseason average should have more solid lifetime stats. An average closer to .300,3,000 hits,500 homeruns. You bring up good points, and give a strong view. Just the way I see it.

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
                  • Sep 2009

I just think a player with zero WS appearances, and a .189 postseason average should have more solid lifetime stats. An average closer to .300,3,000 hits,500 homeruns. You bring up good points, and give a strong view. Just the way I see it.
                  Dawson was not blessed to be on winning teams I can't hold that against him. As far as the big milestones 3000 and 500....they certainly look nice but Dawson was not too far offfrom these milestones..There are some guys that achieve one or the other and are "locks"..Dawson was not far from either really and yet was a Silver Slugger who possessed one of the best arms to play the game and a gold glove. He was a well-rounded player who could do it all.

If you want every Hall of Famer to have a .300 batting average, 3,000 hits 500 hrs....then we might have to take hall of famers out and only elect very very few players in the future..

Dawson was one of very few TRUE 5-tool players to play the game. His 400/300 was a feat that Ruth, Aaron, Dimaggio, Williams, Musial, Cobb and tons of other greats could not achieve I'll take that over one key milestone any day.

Comment

• tjm5711
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2009

Dawson was not blessed to be on winning teams I can't hold that against him. As far as the big milestones 3000 and 500....they certainly look nice but Dawson was not too far offfrom these milestones..There are some guys that achieve one or the other and are "locks"..Dawson was not far from either really and yet was a Silver Slugger who possessed one of the best arms to play the game and a gold glove. He was a well-rounded player who could do it all.

If you want every Hall of Famer to have a .300 batting average, 3,000 hits 500 hrs....then we might have to take hall of famers out and only elect very very few players in the future..

Dawson was one of very few TRUE 5-tool players to play the game. His 400/300 was a feat that Ruth, Aaron, Dimaggio, Williams, Musial, Cobb and tons of other greats could not achieve I'll take that over one key milestone any day.

I never said I wanted EVERY Hall of Famer to have those numbers. Like I said, you made very solid points. You can debate for days who should, and shouldn't be in the hall. And in my opinion Andre Dawson, shouldn't get in. And I really doubt he ever will !

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
                      • Sep 2009

I never said I wanted EVERY Hall of Famer to have those numbers. Like I said, you made very solid points. You can debate for days who should, and shouldn't be in the hall. And in my opinion Andre Dawson, shouldn't get in. And I really doubt he ever will !
                      I would have to disagree I think this is the year the Hawk gets in.

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
                        • Sep 2009

this article says it all.....

Andre Dawson deserves to be recognized as a Hall of Famer for the great seasons he had while in the prime of his career.

Comment

• tjm5711
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2009

I would have to disagree I think this is the year the Hawk gets in.
                          Now that's a question that will be answered soon !

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
                            • Sep 2009

Now that's a question that will be answered soon !
                            Yes it will! I am hoping that he gets in. Every year I defend my reasoning of why he should be in... but this is the first year I have predicted he will actually be voted in. I can see him signing his name with H.O.F 2010 already...we'll see.

Comment

• jetersbatboy
                              • Jun 2008

What about a 6x All-Star, 9 Gold Gloves, 3 Silver Sluggers, 1 MVP and 1 Batting Title. A lifetime .307 avg. 2153 Hits, 222 HR, 1099 RBIs. All done in a injury shorten, 13 seasons carrer. Also considered by most a the best 1st baseman in MLB for a decade??????

Comment

• dirtyla2000
                                • Apr 2008

[quote=tjm5711;178111]I'm primarily a Cub fan, and I watched many of Andre Dawson's years with them. Granted I didn't see his earlier years with the Expos before his knees got bad. but, I look at his numbers and just don't see why he should be in. I think the fact that there are so many guys in the 500 home run club now, and that he didn't come close to that hurts him a lot. Also the fact he did absolutely nothing in the post season and has no WS rings, you have to rely heavily on his stats. Other than his 1987 MVP year, and his early stolen base numbers, nothing really separates him. He was a career .279 hitter, and he never really combined any serious power numbers with those great stolen base totals. Anyways, I'd love for somebody to make a good argument for why he
                                500hr club is full of juicers,Dawson was a class act and dominated his position for a long time! As for Alomar,spitting in an Umps face is unforgiveable.Even though there was an apology this guy is a bad role model.

Comment

Working...