Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Question about Hank Aaron 1976 bat on ebay

Interesting discussion, I have five 1976 BiCentennial Orioles bats (Brooks, Grich, Blair & Singleton) in my collection (including this recently acquired Mark Belanger) and upon checking, I noted that none of them have the "powerized" marking:

I'd be curious to see any "common" player bats from 1976 WITH the Powerized marking

Banned

No-for sure it's a rare thing, but they are out there. I've really only kept track of the 76 Reds bats because that's what I collect, but I will keep my eyes open for others now too. I know I talked to a noted bat expert a little while ago, before purchasing my 76 Bench, and he said it wouldn't be an issue with him at all.

I have a black Bicentennial Bench with powerized and the bell on it. Is that a rare bat also ? I have never been able to find out anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    I'd be curious to see any "common" player bats from 1976 WITH the Powerized marking
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    SCOTT
    scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here is a quick informal (and incomplete) survey---

Of approximately 70 authentications of 1976 H & B Bicentennial bats, including approximately 15 Hall of Fame bats and 55 non-HOF bats (stars and common players), 69 had the Bicentennial Logo without 'Powerized' between the Center Brand and the logo. Only one had the combination of the word 'Powerized' and the Bicentennial logo. That bat was manufactured for N Y Yankees outfielder Roy White in August or September of 1976. There were no special instructions in his ordering records regarding and branding. White would appear to be the 'common player' that provides an example of this branding.

Note to Big Klu -- Bench's records do not show any orders of Black finished bats in 1976. On a single order dated 8/17/76 however, 12 bats model A99C are documented with a hickory finish, which can sometimes appear to be a black finish. Those bats are documented as 35 1/2 inches / 33 oz. No special instructions as to branding appear in Bench's records during 1976.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

Banned

Thanks Mike. Backs up what I said. They are out there, including some commons too. Obviously, it's not a common thing, but it happened. I would assume it would have happened earlier in the 1976 season during the adjustment period between 1975 and 1976, but who knows. I also think that not too many people have been checking or noticing that POWERIZED thing on 1976 bats that show up on ebay or in auction houses. I'll be paying closer attention now too, and try to find more examples.

In a Milwaukee Journal article June 5, 2007, The owner of Hank Aaron's bat from his 755th home run is pictured with the bat and there is no Powerized.

Banned

Yea, good luck finding a photo with powerized and the bell on it. That would very difficult to find.

Little late to the game, but the only 1976 bat I have is a Billy Williams model, and it has NO powerized.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com