Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: 2010 Cardinals Winter Warm-Up

While I agree that the autograph is what everyone was in line for we are talking about a two hour autograph session. If you were not there in January of 2002 you may not understand. Back then when I stood in line for Alberts autograph, prior to him not signing Bats, Jerseys, Helmets, Posters or Artwork, He was very nice and spoke to the people who were there to get his autograph, while posing for pictures with kids.

I myself do not want my picture with Albert, but the majority of parents who spent $175.00 for his signature for their kids who look up to him and idolize him do. Without the people who attend events like the Winter Warm Up, none of these players would get the multi million dollar contracts that they do.

I am a Cardinals season ticket holder.

My biggest problem with how it is now at the WWU compared to 10 years ago, is that say you want to have a Major League Ball signed by Albert, You spent $12 for the ball, $100 to take yourself and your family, $175 for the Pujols autograph ticket and 3 or 4 hours of your time standing in line. The least I expect is to not be treated like I am a burden, to this multimillionare because my son wants his autograph.

With the way the economy is right now $300 is a lot of money, then you have at least 3 Cardinals Care workers lined up right in front of Albert, taking the items you wish to have signed and handing it down the line. At least 4 people touched my item prior to it landing in Alberts hand for his signature.

Do you have any $300 autographed baseballs with greasy finger marks all over them? I do. And now I probably will have another one in about a year. I put a lot of thought into the items I have signed each year, and take great care so that the items will outlast me for my kids, do you think the Cardinals Care workers take the same precautions prior to handling my items? Probably not.

I myself did not want pictures of anyone with Albert but would have liked to have a picture of Albert signing my item, but because of the Cardinals Care workers and the mass of people taking pictures I didnt get that picture.

And as far as Mcgwire goes MLB would have probably been bankrupt by now had it not been for the 1998 season. While I Do Not Agree with what Mcgwire did I also think he is becoming a scapegoat for Steroids. Put asteriks in the books and move on, and while we are at it put Pete Rose in the Hall Of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by hdavid_27 View Post
    While I agree that the autograph is what everyone was in line for we are talking about a two hour autograph session. If you were not there in January of 2002 you may not understand. Back then when I stood in line for Alberts autograph, prior to him not signing Bats, Jerseys, Helmets, Posters or Artwork, He was very nice and spoke to the people who were there to get his autograph, while posing for pictures with kids.

I myself do not want my picture with Albert, but the majority of parents who spent $175.00 for his signature for their kids who look up to him and idolize him do. Without the people who attend events like the Winter Warm Up, none of these players would get the multi million dollar contracts that they do.

I am a Cardinals season ticket holder.

My biggest problem with how it is now at the WWU compared to 10 years ago, is that say you want to have a Major League Ball signed by Albert, You spent $12 for the ball, $100 to take yourself and your family, $175 for the Pujols autograph ticket and 3 or 4 hours of your time standing in line. The least I expect is to not be treated like I am a burden, to this multimillionare because my son wants his autograph.

With the way the economy is right now $300 is a lot of money, then you have at least 3 Cardinals Care workers lined up right in front of Albert, taking the items you wish to have signed and handing it down the line. At least 4 people touched my item prior to it landing in Alberts hand for his signature.

Do you have any $300 autographed baseballs with greasy finger marks all over them? I do. And now I probably will have another one in about a year. I put a lot of thought into the items I have signed each year, and take great care so that the items will outlast me for my kids, do you think the Cardinals Care workers take the same precautions prior to handling my items? Probably not.

I myself did not want pictures of anyone with Albert but would have liked to have a picture of Albert signing my item, but because of the Cardinals Care workers and the mass of people taking pictures I didnt get that picture.

And as far as Mcgwire goes MLB would have probably been bankrupt by now had it not been for the 1998 season. While I Do Not Agree with what Mcgwire did I also think he is becoming a scapegoat for Steroids. Put asteriks in the books and move on, and while we are at it put Pete Rose in the Hall Of Fame
    All good points here. Nice post.

I uderstand the whole notion of spending alot of money, and the fans paying salaries, etc. It's all pretty much true.

The thing about the WWU is that it's a charity event, and because of that, they don't expect poor folks on a 'budget' to be the big spenders. At charity events (dances, dinners, auctions)- it's the guys with the bankroll that pay the large sums of money for the 'experience'. In this case, it's having Albert sign a ball in front of you...for that, $175 is cheap. US charges $600 for a ball that is NOT signed in front of you. So the idea that it's really expensive isn't a big deal to me.

I've also been places when Albert is signing outside for the general public. Granted, this was back in 2003 - and he was more visible and willing to sign. Something everyone needs to realize is that Albert does ALOT of charity work through his foundation (PFF)- and the manager of PFF is a great guy named Todd Perry. Todd was pretty diligent a while back in making it known that there were tons of forgeries out there, and that Albert limited his signing for the public for that reason. He made it clear that he rarely signs jerseys and bats, since those are the things that forgers will sign the most (because they get the highest dollar amount).

Albert also knows that most of the people that get his autograph are going to turn around and sell it - even the ones purchased at the WWU. The Mac comparison is legit, because you can bet that Mac was one of the guys who filled Albert in on all of the issues with signing for every person that asks.

About the guy that said Albert ignored his kid in the lobby of a hotel...so, Albert signs for your kid, then tips off every other person with a pen...and he is surrounded by a group of people who will be angry if he suddenly has to leave - and not sign for them. It's probably played out many times in his career.

I am a fan of the Cards - have been for a long time, and I understand that there are limits with local celebrities...especially in STL where ballplayers are royalty. They try hard to keep their image positive (and Albert has done this even though he's constantly whispered about behind his back...)
    and I think Albert does a good job. He's a model citizen who happens to be a very rich (deservingly so) ball player.

He's made many people in STL rich to...residually. I have heard more about him being nice to people (especially children) than being surly with the occasional gawking adult.

BTW - THanks for the tip on the lineup cards. Gotta get a few of those!

D
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Correction meant UD (Upper Deck) charges 600 for a signed Pujols ball...
    Dave

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    I have heard more about him being nice to people (especially children) than being surly with the occasional gawking adult.
    Spend some time reading the news stories on the Pujols Family Foundation site, and looking at the photographs.

http://pujolsfamilyfoundation.org/news92.htm

There are numerous other stories like this, but this one makes the point as good as any.

Albert Pujols is human and therefore imperfect, just like the rest of us. But he's anything but a phony. People who choose not to see that are only cheating themselves.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

I usually dont post on any argument threads, but simply put, whether his autograph is free or $1000 at the WWU, there is really no excuse to not be nice to his fans and try to mess up their items. Obviously there is not time to chat or even take pictures, but it doesnt hurt to smile a little and not looked pissed off and smirk at people. This is not the team hotel, its a team charity event. A lot of the items he signed for fans were purchased from his Foundation to boot.

Just my 2 cents.

Jason

I too waited in line for my Pujols autograph. It was pretty much what I expected from reading earlier posts...rushed through the line with little or now acknowledgment from Albert. All-in-all, I am happy with the way the auto turned out even though Albert did not use the pen I gave the winter warm-up worker. Does anybody know what the symbol is that he puts by his number? Is it a cross? I had never noticed it on any autographs before but saw it on plenty from the WWU.

For my first WWU, it was a blast. Met plenty of great people. Hope to be more prepared next year now that I now what it is all about!

Jason - Agreed. He should at LEAST be nice to those who paid for his signature at the Warmup. You'd think that management would say something to him...he does have quite an image to uphold and protect. He's basically the face of baseball. Overall, my opinion of Albert is that he's a good guy who's had it with the media and some types of fans. Just out of curiosity - when your son put his card up there, what did he say to you?

The symbol by his sig is usually a cross followed by his number (5).
    Dave

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]