Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOF - Wow

HOF - Wow

No Alomar. Blyleven at 74.2%. Jeez. Congrats to the Hawk though!!!
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Banned

Re: HOF - Wow

Blyleven will eventually get in. I think his rant, wining about not getting in a year or so ago didn't help him get in any sooner.

But his vote numbers went up this year. So I would say perhaps the rant helped him out. Before that, nobody cared that he was 5th All Time in K's (and two of the guys ahead of him just recently retired), was merely 13 wins short of the magical "300", had a career 3.31 ERA, 242 complete games, and he accomplished that on some very pathetic teams.

And as Peter Gammons stated, "Think about the fact that his 15 1-0 wins are the most in the last 50 years, and he had more career shutouts than the American League has had the past 18 seasons."

I personally thought it was a relatively weak class of potential candidates (compared to some of the more recent years that we have had). That being said, I can't believe that only Dawson got in (and that Rice got in last year in another weak year). How can Bert and Roberto not receive more votes than the Hawk? (And that is coming from a Cubbie fan!!!) It leaves me wondering if writers are truly the best for this job.
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

It's a discredit to the Hall of Fame that Blyleven has been excluded. His numbers tell the story period.

I think Dawson is deserving. From being a fan way back then I viewed him as a HOF'er. The guy has it all, MVP, ROY, Gold Gloves, lots of clean HR's, RBI's, hit's. Just an all around GREAT player.

Can't say the same about Alomar (he's best known for AIDS and spitting on an ump--very distasteful and lack of respect for the game), or Larkin (2,340 hits?). Hall of Pretty Good, not even close to Hall of Fame.

The HOF just ain't what it used to be. All the "high quality" candidiates moving forward are all known roid cheaters besides maybe Griffey Jr., and the remaining pool is extremely weak. Sad if you ask me.

Banned

Personally, I'm a Robbie supporter and feel disappointed that the writers decided to exact punishment from an incident that both parties have resolved years ago. Heck, Babe Ruth punched an umpire!

Banned

Congrats to The Hawk.

Here's to Alomar, Baerga, Bagwell, Blyleven J. Franco, Larry Walker and Palmeiro in 2011! Yes, I said it, PALMEIRO! lol I know he has no shot at the HOF as things stand. But hey, a guycan dream can't he?

Quote Originally Posted by byergo View Post
    It's a discredit to the Hall of Fame that Blyleven has been excluded. His numbers tell the story period.

I think Dawson is deserving. From being a fan way back then I viewed him as a HOF'er. The guy has it all, MVP, ROY, Gold Gloves, lots of clean HR's, RBI's, hit's. Just an all around GREAT player.

Can't say the same about Alomar (he's best known for AIDS and spitting on an ump--very distasteful and lack of respect for the game), or Larkin (2,340 hits?). Hall of Pretty Good, not even close to Hall of Fame.

The HOF just ain't what it used to be. All the "high quality" candidiates moving forward are all known roid cheaters besides maybe Griffey Jr., and the remaining pool is extremely weak. Sad if you ask me.

I didnt know Alomar has AIDS. I just google the story. Wow

Jojo

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texans View Post
    I didnt know Alomar has AIDS. I just google the story. Wow

Jojo

This is a good write up about it. Note the bolded last sentence. Let's not forget that Magic Johnson is considered a Legend and a hero living with HIV, which he contracted by sleeping around. Perception is a funny thing. I support Alomar. Great second baseman. He'll make the HOF next year and I'll be happy for him. If he is sick, I can only hope that he's taking care of himself and lives out the rest of his days as best he can.

$(document).ready(function(){ $('#jqm_wrp_1') .jqDrag('.jqDrag') .jqm({ trigger: '#jqm_trg_1', ajax: 'http://www.nbcnewyork.com/i/dispatcher/?command=LoadImage&id=17961832&caption=Roberto+Alo mar+is+%22healthy+and+he+looks+great%2C%22+accordi ng+to+his+lawyer.', target: '#jqm_cont_1', overlay: 0, onShow: function(h) { h.w.css('opacity',1).fadeIn("fast"); G.doPixelTracking(83); }, onHide: function(h) { h.w.fadeOut("fast",function() { if(h.o) h.o.remove(); }); } }); });

[IMG]http://media.nbcnewyork.com/images/410*231/robertoalomar.jpg[/IMG]

Court records in Brooklyn show that Roberto Alomar's ex-girlfriend has settled the lawsuit she filed against the ex-Mets second baseman in January. Ilya Dall was seeking $15 million in damages for allegations that Alomar had unprotected sex with her after he found out that he had contracted the AIDS virus, but no financial terms of the settlement were announced.
    Dall was gunning for this outcome from the first day by loading her lawsuit with embarrassing revelations about Alomar. The allegations ranged from Alomar suffering from erectile dysfunction to his being gang-raped when he was 17, and Dall also made graphic claims about how full blown AIDS was affecting Alomar.
    Alomar's lawyer, Charles Bach, called the lawsuit frivolous when it was filed, and wouldn't address whether or not his client had AIDS yesterday.
    "He's healthy and he looks great," said Bach. "The matter is over. The plaintiff [Dall] has withdrawn her complaint."
    Alomar himself has said he's in "very good health," but has also avoided direct comment on his HIV status. There's no reason that medication, exercise and healthy living wouldn't allow him to be in very good health even if he did have the virus, but there's also no reason why that status should be a matter of public record.

Banned

I'm as happy as a conservative at the Reagan Ranch for Dawson, now the first (and so far only) HoFer I caught a game home run from (#396). I was surprised that Alomar didn't make it, though...of course, Ryne Sandberg didn't make it the first time out, either. Still, Alomar will get there sooner than later.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

I love it ,DAWSON IN AND ALOMAR LEFT SPITTING IN THE WIND!!!!!!!!!!!