Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Monthly Pick-Ups Ethical To Mention a Fake Item Posted

I think that it is important to privately bring it up to the other person and state your reasons behind it. Just because we post on a forum does not make us experts necessairly and anyone can be duped and by letting the person know they have the chance to question the item further if they so choose by maybe posting and asking for the opinion of the forum and/or sending it to Mears or another trusted game used authenticator to look at and then if they feel that they are not comfortable with the item's authenticity possibly returning it and getting their money back. The closer it is to when you bought an item the easier it is to get your money back usually so it could be a tremendous benefit. Yes someone might take it the wrong way but who cares it is the Internet the vast majority of us are very, very unlikely to ever come into contact with each other in the real world and if you get a nasty email back just ignore it. The way I look at it is I would want to know if it were me with an item that was questionable so I would defintely inform someone else if I thought they had a questionable item.

It's a forum. Don't post the item if you don't want feedback of a certain nature. The forum is meant to educate not to coddle certain individuals.

Anthony

I love the game of baseball and I love collecting. Because of that sometimes my excitement gets the best of me and I may not do as much homework as I should on a purchase (I am getting better). I'm an enthusiast though, not an expert. That's why I joined GUU; to share, learn and grow with and from others in the hobby.

If someone has proof positive that one of my items is fake PLEASE let me know so I could try and correct the situation with a refund. Of course there is a right and wrong way to approach such a subject too. If it's done respectfully I have no issue with it being brough up. This is a public forum after all.

I think any seriously questionable item... whether posted in Monthly Pick-ups, Auction Items, Classifieds, or anywhere for that matter... Should be questioned and researched fully and PUBLICLY. Shouldn't one of our collective goals be to minimize fraudulent items? I'm not saying we should police the hobby, but when we see something we know is wrong, lets try to prevent current and future issues with buying and selling fake items.

I would support public identification and discussion if an item is grossly misrepresented.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TriplexXxSports View Post
    +1

I am in favor of e-mailing them, or at least contact them about their item in a polite and professional manner.

Then it can be decided by the parties involved if they feel it should be brought public in order to 'educate' the forum.

We all know that at times this place is like throwing raw steak to the Lions....
    Certainly not the Detroit Lions...even our Bears beat them twice.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TriplexXxSports View Post
    +1

I am in favor of e-mailing them, or at least contact them about their item in a polite and professional manner.

Then it can be decided by the parties involved if they feel it should be brought public in order to 'educate' the forum.

We all know that at times this place is like throwing raw steak to the Lions....
    Seriously, Triple-X, I think your approach is a solid one. People should be made aware if they've been duped, but to turn in into a pissing match on this forum does more harm than good.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Seriously, Triple-X, I think your approach is a solid one. People should be made aware if they've been duped, but to turn in into a pissing match on this forum does more harm than good.

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    Thanks yo. Its just common courtesy. I know I would be contacted first.

It's all about how you talk to people.

If you come off as helpful with excellent facts and you're not insulting someone along with the piece of memorabilia, no one should be upset if you post your findings.

If you can't handle that approach, you shouldn't be on a public forum.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I posted one of my Ed Hearn Royals road jerseys on a thread a couple of years ago and KingJammy (Rudy) informed me that the NOB lettering was the incorrect font and the Number on back "7" was missing the footing.

I really appreciated to know that as I didn't realize that my jersey was not what I thought it was. I personally would not mind anything which may be bad in my possession to pointed out in public. It not only educates me but all the rest of the us at the same time.

Given the purpose this forum exists I would be disappointed if something like that was not caught and even more disappointed if it was known and was never pointed out to me.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Game Used Bats View Post
    It's a forum. Don't post the item if you don't want feedback of a certain nature. The forum is meant to educate not to coddle certain individuals.

Anthony
    My point exactly, summed up nice and tidy. Thank you.