Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: 80-83 gamers

80-83 gamers

bmh, mike, whomever;

we all know that these years had the big centerbrand, as well as the powerized being slanted the "wrong" way.
    was this specific to 83, or did it occur throught the label period?

Re: 80-83 gamers

According to Jeff Scott/Birdbats:

"The word "Powerized" often is seen slanting downward instead of upward during this era, but that hasn't been correlated with any particular year."

http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats...80-Current.htm
    SCOTT
    scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have bats that can be pinpointed to factory records from 1981, 1982 and 1983 that all have Powerized with the downward slant, so I can say with certainty that variation existed during those three seasons. I don't have any bats I can pinpoint to 1980. Maybe someone else does.

I just saw photos of an '80-'83 Bobby Bonds bat (owned by a fellow Cardinals collector) with 00 on the knob and the downward slanting Powerized. Since Bonds wore that number in '80 only (he wore 25 in '81 then retired), it would seem that variation extends to all four years of the label period.