Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: MLB authentication # question

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Tom - If I can go back to your gamble scenario for some background.

The word "Gamble". Some would say life is a gamble.

I am going to go off on a tangent to talk about gambles and authentication.

In the game used collecting, do we really know with 100% certainty that the $20,000 JO Sports jersey of Mark Sanchez was worn for the full game?

Do we know if the $1,999 MLB Authenticated ball that says it was hit by Jimmy Rollins in the 1st inning of Game 2 of the 2009 World Series really was hit by him even though the authentication says it was?

Mistakes happen and we do the best we can do by doing the homework and research and minimizing the risk of the gamble.

If I am buying the $20,000 Mark Sanchez jersey, I am still going to try to photomatch it and do the best I can do to make sure what I am getting is solid. Players do change jerseys at halftimes of games. If I am spending that type of money, I probably want a signed letter from the player stating he wore that jersey the entire game.

If I am buying a $300 authenticated football from NFL.com I probably will spend no time researching it past looking at the COA.

So for me the dollar amount spent will affect how much time and effort I will put into my own research.

As was pointed out at the beginning of this thread, the authentication sticker is on the ball but there is no history and provenance other than what the seller claims. So is the sellers claims worth spending the money and taking the risk.

There lies the problem, every buyer has their own limit to their risk they will justify in a purchase.

Very well said, and you're talking along the same lines I was. What I was saying earlier was that there is usually some level of risk unless the player hands it to you on the sideline. This could be a 1% risk or 90%. Who knows? When I stated this opinion of mine, I was rudely asked,"What the Hell are you talking about?" I just find it hard to be completely 100% sure just by doing homework,photo matching,etc. I didn't say we the risk of an item being fake overweighs the chances an item is authentic. I think you just reinforced what I was trying to say. It was well put, and thanks for making those points.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post

This hobby is riddled with fraud, scam artists, forgeries......it's out of control. TRUE

But to blindly buy an item, a home run ball in this case, because of the seller's claims that it is something special, with holograms that should prove it beyond any reasonable doubt, only to find out it's not real......well my friend that's not a gamble. That's stupidity. TRUE

And the support team (forum members) are here to give advice to those asking for it so those types of mistakes can be avoided. TRUE
    I cleaned up Steve's 1st response and deleted out the rest and he made many good factual statements.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze
    OK, I tried.

I wasn't going to post this here, but I will to prove a point.

The ball in question? I am familiar with it.

It is of my opinion that the wrong MLB authentication number was given to NYCrulesU for a reason. That reason was so that he WOULDN'T be able to look it up on the MLB data base.

Because, if he did, he would see it is not listed in any way, shape, or form as a home run baseball. It's simply a game used baseball from that game.

The correct MLB database number is MR 250617.

Look it up. Gain some knowledge. Experience the thrill of being educated. There is no risk when you do your homework.
    By the looks of it NYCrulesU and Suicide Squeeze got to the bottom of it:

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU
    Great catch Steve, thanks. I had the exact same idea and searched several alternate numbers and prefixes on MLB. Each search was unsuccessful. As I said, my search was random. Seems you had a more proven way to come up with the answer, search by date? Please email me and let me know how you found the number. Thanks again.

Knowledge wins over speculation and assumptions every time. I don't mind living by common sense and gut instinct either, instead of "Hey, buy it if it's cheap. Even if it'a a fake it still was cheap."
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Banned

I cleaned up Steve's 1st response and deleted out the rest and he made many good factual statements.

By the looks of it NYCrulesU and Suicide Squeeze got to the bottom of it:

Great idea! And if you take all the negative remarks out. He does make some good points. If he would refrain from talking down, and saying who a real collector is. It's a productive statement.

Okay, I just had the chance to read through this thread and tried to remove the personal references since the thread does have informational value.

Any future personal references will result in a locking of the thread and potential further action.

Thanks for your cooperation.
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Funny, That`s MY Baseball discussed here. I believe I mentioned the Correct MLB number (not on this Thread) from the Start MR, NOT MA. I certainly have nothing to hide, in fact I made it CLEAR I`m not even interested in selling the Ball!

Here`s something Interesting, most won`t believe. It`s my Opinion this was originally listed in the MLB Database as a Home Run Baseball. It even listed the Pitcher & inning. It Now says "game used Baseball" I`ve had it about 5 years.

I attend Church with a person Involved with MLB Authentication, He`s a Senior Partner in the Firm, in other words, one of the Owners. Given the Oppty. I`m gonna inquire about the MA Prefix & older descriptions in the Database.

Who`da thunk this would go that far! Hilarious.

Go Chargers!!!

Sean
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMan View Post
    Funny, That`s MY Baseball discussed here. I believe I mentioned the Correct MLB number (not on this Thread) from the Start MR, NOT MA. I certainly have nothing to hide, in fact I made it CLEAR I`m not even interested in selling the Ball!

Here`s something Interesting, most won`t believe. It`s my Opinion this was originally listed in the MLB Database as a Home Run Baseball. It even listed the Pitcher & inning. It Now says "game used Baseball" I`ve had it about 5 years.

Who`da thunk this would go that far! Hilarious.

Sean
    Who has access to the game film from this game?

If you do, it will be easy to tell if this has a possibility of being a HR ball. The ball has dirt in the laces and on the side panels. So if that ball landed in the stands, then it wouldn't be the HR ball as it wouldn't have that type of dirt on it.

If it landed in the bullpen, there may be some validity to it being the real HR ball as it could have landed in a dirt area.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Who has access to the game film from this game?

If you do, it will be easy to tell if this has a possibility of being a HR ball. The ball has dirt in the laces and on the side panels. So if that ball landed in the stands, then it wouldn't be the HR ball as it wouldn't have that type of dirt on it.

If it landed in the bullpen, there may be some validity to it being the real HR ball as it could have landed in a dirt area.
    not necessarily, say the batter before grounds out and they they throw the ball back to the pitcher...this would leave some dirt on the ball even after a hr was hit. Video footage would show whether or not a fan got the ball though. If it landed in an area by players or staff there would be a much better chance that MLB got the ball in their possession to authenticate.

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post
    not necessarily, say the batter before grounds out and they they throw the ball back to the pitcher...this would leave some dirt on the ball even after a hr was hit. Video footage would show whether or not a fan got the ball though. If it landed in an area by players or staff there would be a much better chance that MLB got the ball in their possession to authenticate.
    Some dirt, I may agree with you, but that much dirt they wouldn't leave in there.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Some dirt, I may agree with you, but that much dirt they wouldn't leave in there.
    I would say it is unusual but far from impossible I have caught three foul balls that were cacked with dirt. Pitches in the dirt are usually replaced right away but for whatever reason ball put into play that bounce off the warning track, or consecutive batters ground out with tend to stay in play.

Important to consider ALL possibilities. With that said, some if not most venues Rinse their Seating at some point. The Bullpen is NOT the only place where a Baseball may Encounter Water/Dirt. I`ve seen plenty of Water & Dirt Residue in several So-cal Ballparks, Seating rows nearest the Fence, specially Anaheim & San Diego Stadium. Game Film MAY provide insight, we may never know.

Sean