Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: MLB authentication # question

Once I receive an clear photo, I will post it.

I have no insight into the MA, but for companies like MLB and UDA it sometimes takes a while to enter/process the data. So that a hologram number doesn't show up in a database search shouldn't automatically be considered a scary problem. Omission is often simply a short term data processing issue and not an issue of authenticity.

I went and looked through my old emails and the MA hologram was stopped in 2005(according to MLB Authenticator). I believe it's the round ones, and the reason they stopped it was because it sucked at being Tamper Proof.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I have no insight into the MA, but for companies like MLB and UDA it sometimes takes a while to enter/process the data. So that a hologram number doesn't show up in a database search shouldn't automatically be considered a scary problem. Omission is often simply a short term data processing issue and not an issue of authenticity.

That's what i was thinking, and hoping rather than it being a stolen roll of Holograms.

Also, if a hologram was removed from one item and placed on another, there's a probably chance that the number would still show up in a MLB database search (though w/ description for the first item). The average taker has no ability to erase the number and description from the MLB computers.

Of course hologram switching is always a possibility in this hobby, but I don't see the omission of the number and description from the database as likely evidence of this.

You guys do understand that the prefix MA is not on mlb website, there's no way to look it up like you can with a BB or LH hologram.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    I went and looked through my old emails and the MA hologram was stopped in 2005(according to MLB Authenticator). I believe it's the round ones, and the reason they stopped it was because it sucked at being Tamper Proof.

Thanks for that bit of info. The item is said to be from 2003. So what you've said would make perfect sense. Here's the pic I do have. While it is quite blurry, does it look tampered with in any way? It also has the ESM/ASI hologram.

Banned

Also, if a hologram was removed from one item and placed on another, there's a probably chance that the number would still show up in a MLB database search (though w/ description for the first item). The average taker has no ability to erase the number and description from the MLB computers.

Of course hologram switching is always a possibility in this hobby, but I don't see the omission of the number and description from the database as likely evidence of this.

I thought these holograms were designed to show whether they had been tampered with .

One last database note. PSA card holders are sometimes tampered with and the serial numbered labels altered and switched. In these cases, the serial number commonly shows up in the PSA database but the database lists it as for a clearly different card (1987 Topps Greg Maddox Vs 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle). This is similar to one looking up a 2002 Orioles jersey hologram number on the MLB database andd it's listed as being for a 2006 Brewers second base.

And the reason the card collector looked up the PSA number in the first place, is usually because the card/holder looks awfully suspicious if not outright dubious.

Banned

One last database note. PSA card holders are sometimes tampered with and the serial numbered labels altered and switched. In these cases, the serial number commonly shows up in the PSA database but the database lists it as for a clearly different card (1987 Topps Greg Maddox Vs 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle). This is similar to one looking up a 2002 Orioles jersey hologram number on the MLB database andd it's listed as being for a 2006 Brewers second base.

And the reason the card collector looked up the PSA number in the first place, is usually because the card/holder looks awfully suspicious if not outright dubious.

I think it would be fairly noticeable if people were changing PSA Slabs out.