Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: MLB authentication # question

Quote Originally Posted by tjm5711 View Post
    What the hell are you talking about ? Unless the player hands you the item off his back you are always taking a risk that an item is real. How can you otherwise say there's no risk. Sure there is a smaller risk buying from more credible sources than others. But, where do you get off blasting me for stating that? You are the one mired in stupidity my friend !
    tmj5711,

You appear to be of the thought that my "That's stupidity" comment was placed in reference to you? Not at all.

It was in reference to anyone who has the tools to do their proper homework, as NYCrulesU has and has done so in a responsible manner to himself as a collector, but fails to utilize the opportunity.

But I will say that just because you make the reference that "unless the player hands you the items off his back" that you can't be sure without some kind of a gamble that it's real.....I mean, do we really need to go down this road?

Ever heard of "photo matching"?

Understand the concept of MLB authentication, and what is involved? If the item ever leaves the sight of the authenticator, it doesn't receive a sticker. You want to site one time in maybe 30,000 that a mistake was made? Please.

If a guy like NYCrulesU is doing his due diligence in figuring out the authenticity of this ball or lack of it, and the level of comfort he has with it based on what has come to be.....then he certainly doesn't need to hear a rediculous comment about how everything's a risk.

You're new on this site, and you have entered with your guns a blazing. Take a little bit of friendly advice from someone who knows.....It might be a prudent thing for you to take a step back and be a little less proactive in your posts and just absorb some of what the forum has to offer for awhile. Post when you have something constructive to add. Think twice on all other occasions. It'll save you some grief.....trust me.

NYCrulesU.....I think you're correct in letting it slide. If you have a chance to buy a ball claiming to be a home run ball, with a MLB authentication sticker that is not listed in their database......I mean, what exactly do you have there? An unverifyable piece of heresay?

Nothing.....in my opinion, except someone elses garbage they are trying to get rid of. But that's just me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    tmj5711,

You appear to be of the thought that my "That's stupidity" comment was placed in reference to you? Not at all.

It was in reference to anyone who has the tools to do their proper homework, as NYCrulesU has and has done so in a responsible manner to himself as a collector, but fails to utilize the opportunity.

But I will say that just because you make the reference that "unless the player hands you the items off his back" that you can't be sure without some kind of a gamble that it's real.....I mean, do we really need to go down this road?

Understand the concept of MLB authentication, and what is involved? If the item ever leaves the sight of the authenticator, it doesn't receive a sticker. You want to site one time in maybe 30,000 that a mistake was made? Please.

If a guy like NYCrulesU is doing his due diligence in figuring out the authenticity of this ball or lack of it, and the level of comfort he has with it based on what has come to be.....then he certainly doesn't need to hear a rediculous comment about how everything's a risk.

You're new on this site, and you have entered with your guns a blazing. Take a little bit of friendly advice from someone who knows.....It might be a prudent thing for you to take a step back and be a little less proactive in your posts and just absorb some of what the forum has to offer for awhile. Post when you have something constructive to add. Think twice on all other occasions. It'll save you some grief.....trust me.

NYCrulesU.....I think you're correct in letting it slide. If you have a chance to buy a ball claiming to be a home run ball, with a MLB authentication sticker that is not listed in their database......I mean, what exactly do you have there? An unverifyable piece of heresay?

Nothing.....in my opinion, except someone elses garbage they are trying to get rid of. But that's just me.

Why don't you save yourself some grief and quit proclaiming yourself an "Expert." Just because I'm new to this site doesn't mean I'm going to take that garbage from you ! This thread was going along just fine until you took your,"What the Hell are you talking about" swipe at me. You followed me to this thread after I showed how irrational you were in the Grace All-Star Jersey thread. And when other members agreed with me, I guess that was too much for you and your ego to handle. So do us all a favor and save your advice on how one should conduct themselves. You need to check yourself before you start advising others !!!!!!!!!

Banned

Re: Photo matching comment by "SuicideSqueeze."

Of course I know what Photo matching is. (And we are referring to internet purchases? Right?) But you really can't do true Photo matching until you have the item in your hands. And in some(and not just a few) cases you can't do ANY matching until this occurs.(This mainly dependent on the quality of the photos).

So, unless the seller is nice enough to send you the item free of charge and wait until you photo match it,(And I have never heard of that in my life) you take some risk in making the purchase. If you do find a dealer that does this let me know. I'd love to have him send me some jerseys, photo match them, and then decide if i want to pay for them !

So the bottom line is photo matching doesn't eliminate the risk of an items authenticity in many occasions. And I know this from my own experiences. Just because I'm new to this thread,doesn't mean I don't know these things !

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    tmj5711,

I agree with a lot of what you are saying here, I know you directed this at tmj but I wanted to ask you about the photomatching reference....if someone is willing and able wouldn't it be possible to also doctor an item to match a particular photo? It would be a tough task but I am sure it can be done, especially depending on the item. Also with Arod and Canseco both I have seen several items that I have been inscribed to be certain items and turn out not legit...hopefully by accident but still makes you a little uneasy about any items even when they come right from a player.

With NYCrulesU passing on the item I don't think anyone could say it is a bad move...but if he could get it for a low price I think that would be worth the "gamble" due to the fact it is an authentic signature at the very least.... especially if by contacting MLB authenticated the sticker could be verified....because it looks like any prefix of MA cannot be searched on the website.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying here, I know you directed this at tmj but I wanted to ask you about the photomatching reference....if someone is willing and able wouldn't it be possible to also doctor an item to match a particular photo? It would be a tough task but I am sure it can be done, especially depending on the item. Also with Arod and Canseco both I have seen several items that I have been inscribed to be certain items and turn out not legit...hopefully by accident but still makes you a little uneasy about any items even when they come right from a player.

With NYCrulesU passing on the item I don't think anyone could say it is a bad move...but if he could get it for a low price I think that would be worth the "gamble" due to the fact it is an authentic signature at the very least.... especially if by contacting MLB authenticated the sticker could be verified....because it looks like any prefix of MA cannot be searched on the website.

That's what I was trying to say about not being able to TRULY photo match an item until you have it. But as far as that ball being authentic after taking a risk and buying it. Well according to Suicide Squeeze that's impossible ! According to him, if you have an authentic item, you obtained it without taking any risk. Or is it you only take a risk one in 30,000 times? I can't remember ! LOL

That's what I was trying to say about not being able to TRULY photo match an item until you have it. But as far as that ball being authentic after taking a risk and buying it. Well according to Suicide Squeeze that's impossible ! According to him, if you have an authentic item, you obtained it without taking any risk. Or is it you only take a risk one in 30,000 times? I can't remember ! LOL
    In almost any case you could make an example where you would not know with 100% certainty. There will be times when a player hands you an item or you catch a ball and you know its authentic...it might be very difficult in the future to convince other people you know it's authentic because people just flat out lie and make up stories but you would know.

The reason I suggested that he maybe make him a low offer was only due to the fact that it was at the very least an authentic sig. So if it turned out not to be authenticated HR ball it wouldnt be an all or nothing situation. So in my opinion is was less of a gamble if he was getting close to an autographed ball price with the possibility for more...unlike a ball with nothing and no way to prove anything...this one gave a chance to authenticate it at least with some research and help from MLB authenticated.

Banned

In almost any case you could make an example where you would not know with 100% certainty. There will be times when a player hands you an item or you catch a ball and you know its authentic...it might be very difficult in the future to convince other people you know it's authentic because people just flat out lie and make up stories but you would know.

The reason I suggested that he maybe make him a low offer was only due to the fact that it was at the very least an authentic sig. So if it turned out not to be authenticated HR ball it wouldnt be an all or nothing situation. So in my opinion is was less of a gamble if he was getting close to an autographed ball price with the possibility for more...unlike a ball with nothing and no way to prove anything...this one gave a chance to authenticate it at least with some research and help from MLB authenticated.

That's what I was saying in the beginning of this thread. I mentioned how having a MLB hologram on the ball made this a very safe play. Then people started talking about rolls of holograms being stolen, and holograms being switched and all that. To say it's stupidity to go after an item like this is ridiculous. The bottom line is this:

Even if you Photo Match an item on the internet before you have it, there's a risk of it not being authentic. There is always a risk in buying any game Used item unless you are standing on the sideline and the player hands it to you after the game. The level of this risk varies in degree from who you purchase the item from and their reputation in the hobby.

That's what I was saying in the beginning of this thread. I mentioned how having a MLB hologram on the ball made this a very safe play. Then people started talking about rolls of holograms being stolen, and holograms being switched and all that. To say it's stupidity to go after an item like this is ridiculous. The bottom line is this:

Even if you Photo Match an item on the internet before you have it, there's a risk of it not being authentic. There is always a risk in buying any game Used item unless you are standing on the sideline and the player hands it to you after the game. The level of this risk varies in degree from who you purchase the item from and their reputation in the hobby.
    The only question I would really be concerned about is what the sticker was pertaining too....is it to verify a hr or to authenticate the signature. The chance that it was from a stolen roll would be less likely than just not being updated in the system....the whole key would be to get the ball at a decent price which was my point to at least try to get the ball for around the price of an authentic autographed MLB ball. The worst that happens then is that it is an autographed ball.

Banned

The only question I would really be concerned about is what the sticker was pertaining too....is it to verify a hr or to authenticate the signature. The chance that it was from a stolen roll would be less likely than just not being updated in the system....the whole key would be to get the ball at a decent price which was my point to at least try to get the ball for around the price of an authentic autographed MLB ball. The worst that happens then is that it is an autographed ball.
    I completely agree with you. And I always put my faith in a MLB Hologram. All this talk of stolen rolls, and switched holograms was merely speculation.

Why don't you save yourself some grief and quit proclaiming yourself an "Expert." Just because I'm new to this site doesn't mean I'm going to take that garbage from you ! This thread was going along just fine until you took your,"What the Hell are you talking about" swipe at me. You followed me to this thread after I showed how irrational you were in the Grace All-Star Jersey thread. And when other members agreed with me, I guess that was too much for you and your ego to handle. So do us all a favor and save your advice on how one should conduct themselves. You need to check yourself before you start advising others !!!!!!!!!
    tjm5711,

I recently made a promise to the CEO of this site that I wouldn't partake in this kind of unproductive worthless arguing. I fully intend to keep my promise. Additionally, I find no desire in trying to reason with the unreasonable at the expense of the forum.

That said, however, I am interested in talking to you about a few things, and would ask that you enable your private messages so that we can communicate off the board. Or, you could email me directly at suicide_squeeze@roadrunner.com if desired.

Thank you,

Steve