Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: MLB authentication # question

Quote Originally Posted by tjm5711 View Post
    That's a good way to look at it. Everyone knows it's a gamble sometimes in this Hobby. And sometimes you can win BIG ! It's just a matter of how much you want to bet !

Dude,

With all due respect.......what the hell are you talking about?

It's not a "gamble" sometimes in this hobby unless you haven't got the cerebral ability to do your homework and alieviate any and all concerns you may have before shelling out your hard earned money for something.

This hobby is riddled with fraud, scam artists, forgeries......it's out of control.

We are here to help eachother. Sometimes you can win big by buying an item that turns out to be more than what you expected.....Like Kyle hess buying a game used Atlanta Braves home jersey that, after closer inspection, turns out to be a photo-matched unquestionable "cycle" jersey. Yeah, that's hitting a home run, so to speak, in the collecting world.

But to blindly buy an item, a home run ball in this case, because of the seller's claims that it is something special, with holograms that should prove it beyond any reasonable doubt, only to find out it's not real......well my friend that's not a gamble.

That's stupidity.

And the support team (forum members) are here to give advice to those asking for it so those types of mistakes can be avoided.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Dude,

It's not a "gamble" sometimes in this hobby unless you haven't got the cerebral ability to do your homework and alieviate any and all concerns you may have before shelling out your hard earned money for something.

This hobby is riddled with fraud, scam artists, forgeries......it's out of control.

We are here to help eachother. Sometimes you can win big by buying an item that turns out to be more than what you expected.....Like Kyle hess buying a game used Atlanta Braves home jersey that, after closer inspection, turns out to be a photo-matched unquestionable "cycle" jersey. Yeah, that's hitting a home run, so to speak, in the collecting world.

But to blindly buy an item, a home run ball in this case, because of the seller's claims that it is something special, with holograms that should prove it beyond any reasonable doubt, only to find out it's not real......well my friend that's not a gamble.

That's stupidity.

And the support team (forum members) are here to give advice to those asking for it so those types of mistakes can be avoided.

What the hell are you talking about ? Unless the player hands you the item off his back you are always taking a risk that an item is real. How can you otherwise say there's no risk. Sure there is a smaller risk buying from more credible sources than others. But, where do you get off blasting me for stating that? You are the one mired in stupidity my friend !

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    Without being able to authenticate the ball as 100% authentic it isn't something I would want to purchase for my collection, even at $5. I prefer to know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that all items I buy are legit.

But thank you for your advice.

Concerning this particular item if you know the signature is authentic and on a Major League baseball the ball has some value so its not an all or nothing type situation. It's not a question of if the item is authentic but whether or not it indeed has the "extra" value of being a HR baseball. If there is no proof the buyer does not know for sure and may be willing to accept a very reasonable amount for the ball....

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Dude,

That's stupidity.

When you gamble you do not know what the eventual outcome will be. Some people would say betting against the pats is not a gamble but stupididity.....it all depends on the person.

It's not that this is just a ball with nothing on it with no proof at all...I would lean on that being more of a dumb purchase just relying on someone's word that just a plain baseball was a "hr". This ball has two holograms and is inscribed by the player. I would say the chances these stickers were stolen and placed on a ball is much less than the chance it was outdated for a prefix and not available to be looked up.

Unless you see the player use an item and walk directly to you and hand an item there is always a small chance it is not legit. Even when players think it is a certain item it can turn out not to be. There are items in every one's collection that we must rely on our own judgements to consider them authentic. Almost everything in life is a gamble to some extent...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post
    Concerning this particular item if you know the signature is authentic and on a Major League baseball the ball has some value so its not an all or nothing type situation. It's not a question of if the item is authentic but whether or not it indeed has the "extra" value of being a HR baseball. If there is no proof the buyer does not know for sure and may be willing to accept a very reasonable amount for the ball....
    It's all about "preference". I prefer that my Palmeiro signed ball be just that, his signature on a OMLB. Those can be picked up for $50-$70 all day. I prefer not to purchase a ball that is signed/inscribed as being a specific hr ball that I have ZERO chance of proving it to be real or not. I'm very particular. I will pass on 100 items just to get to the one that I'm satisfied with.

I would be embarrassed to have any item in my collection that I was't 100% confident in. Can every item be proven? No. But I would never buy something knowing from the start that there were questions surrounding it's authenticity.

It's all about "preference". I prefer that my Palmeiro signed ball be just that, his signature on a OMLB. Those can be picked up for $50-$70 all day. I prefer not to purchase a ball that is signed/inscribed as being a specific hr ball that I have ZERO chance of proving it to be real or not. I'm very particular. I will pass on 100 items just to get to the one that I'm satisfied with.

I would be embarrassed to have any item in my collection that I was't 100% confident in. Can every item be proven? No. But I would never buy something knowing from the start that there were questions surrounding it's authenticity.
    My point is that even if this ball was looked up and documented to be the "HR ball" you are relying on other people to have correctly collected the ball and not made any mistakes while documenting this. The only way you could for sure no is to catch the baseball yourself.

Banned

When you gamble you do not know what the eventual outcome will be. Some people would say betting against the pats is not a gamble but stupididity.....it all depends on the person.

It's not that this is just a ball with nothing on it with no proof at all...I would lean on that being more of a dumb purchase just relying on someone's word that just a plain baseball was a "hr". This ball has two holograms and is inscribed by the player. I would say the chances these stickers were stolen and placed on a ball is much less than the chance it was outdated for a prefix and not available to be looked up.

Unless you see the player use an item and walk directly to you and hand an item there is always a small chance it is not legit. Even when players think it is a certain item it can turn out not to be. There are items in every one's collection that we must rely on our own judgements to consider them authentic. Almost everything in life is a gamble to some extent...

I first saw the item and was intrigued. I asked questions, received answers and decided I was not confident in the items authenticity. I've moved on. I'm not sure why this thread or my decision are being picked apart by anyone.

Banned

AMEN ! That's exactly what I was trying to say ! There is a great deal of trust built on reputation in this hobby. And there is always room for error,deception,and negligence by a seller. Unless you stood on the sideline and had players had you everything in your collection, you took a risk somewhere.

I first saw the item and was intrigued. I asked questions, received answers and decided I was not confident in the items authenticity. I've moved on. I'm not sure why this thread or my decision are being picked apart by anyone.

It's being discussed because you made a public thread to discuss the item....I gave you my opinon which I planned to leave at that....especially if this was your first reply...but when you replied to say you wouldn't pay $5 for it, I questioned what the debate over authenticity was because I thought it in fact was a legitimate auto.....my point was why not offer him the price of a regular baseball and see what you can find out. Maybe it would turn out to be a real bargain or maybe it would just be what it is an authentic autograph baseball with the chance of being more...if he rejects the low offer so be it.....

sounds like you made up your mind already so no need to go any farther but you did not say initially "I won't buy it"....you sought out others opinions.

Banned

Thanks for all the replies. I've received my answer.